OT: Getting a cat

1235»

Comments

• Not on Facebook, they don't. I'm going to poke that cat.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Get. That. Cat.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    On a slightly related note: I just got a friend request on Facebook from my Sister's cat. Now I'm a dog person, and know that any cat - no matter how much you love them - if they were big enough, would eat me. As such, it seems rather insincere to me that this cat should wish to befriend me, and I worry that it's going to bombard me with game requests, but I don't want to cause a rift in the family.

Any advice?

I like cats. I'm not that bothered about dogs, but cats do not have facebook pages: their (rather too twee for my liking) owners have facebook pages. They are not little furry people; they are animals. With all due respect to your sister, I think if she has a problem with you not accepting a friend request from 'her cat', then there are bigger problems.

Accept the cat as a friend, then set up a dummy account, posing as a rottweiler. Then send a friend request to the cat. When the cat accepts, start taunting the cat. :mrgreen:

Rottweiler? Pah.

70.gif

Bears too

bear-cat.gif

And people

workout-cat.gif

I, for one, am going to welcome our feline Overlords...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:

I still hate moggies though.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Have we not bar greg66's lunatic ravings realised that dogs are still fundamentaly mans best friend - cats can have their place, it's just not in the driving seat of man's best friend car.
    Dogs > cats
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,356
    Have we not bar greg66's lunatic ravings realised that dogs are still fundamentaly mans best friend - cats can have their place, it's just not in the driving seat of man's best friend car.
    Dogs > cats

No. We've comprehensively screwed up the dog gene pool by selective (in)breeding; pretty much every breed has some sort of congenital health issue. Most dogs wouldn't survive without their owners. As for man's best friend, there's no Dangerous Cats Act, is there?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cats can have their place, it's just not in the driving seat of man's best friend car.

Allowing for the missing apostrophe-s (after "friend"), are you trying to tell us that cats should not be allowed to drive dogs' cars?

See many dogs driving cars on your commute, do you young man? :shock: :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    you feline fanciers! pah, there's no persuading you - that black chair and the white persian needs stroked. :D

ps i have seen some right dogs driving cars tbh and some pussies riding bikes too ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    So we bit the bullet and got one from the the RSPCA, she's 9 months old.

I've now lived with a cat for the best part of a week, and have learnt the following:

1. Saying “No” has no difference to their behaviour, you might as well talk in Swahili to them
    2. They are fascinated by the most bizarre things – ours is entranced by the bath mat, on which she’ll sit for hours
    3. They don’t eat much (but see number 7)
    4. Their fur is coated with special cat superglue that only attached to clothing, especially clothing which is the opposite colour e.g. white hair and black clothes
    5. They are quite clean but their p00 stinks like nothing on earth
    6. They have special cat radar that senses where the most inconvenient/annoying possible place to sit might be and they always, always obey their radar (top of stairs, doorways, my seat on the sofa, etc.)
    7. They are fascinated by my food and will try to share it with me. I had to “share” my ham sandwich yesterday L
    8. They all have a combination of ADHD and cat-Autism, combined with bipolar dual personality weirdness – can go from “I demand attention, love, cuddles, fussing and hugs” to “I’m not sitting on your lap, I’m going to sit in front of the telly” in 10 seconds
    9. And finally…they know who really rules the roost, oh yes, and it’s got 4 legs…

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SecretSam wrote:

I've now lived with a cat for the best part of a week, and have learnt the following:

1. Saying “No” has no difference to their behaviour, you might as well talk in Swahili to them
    2. They are fascinated by the most bizarre things – ours is entranced by the bath mat, on which she’ll sit for hours
    3. They don’t eat much (but see number 7)
    4. Their fur is coated with special cat superglue that only attached to clothing, especially clothing which is the opposite colour e.g. white hair and black clothes
    6. They have special cat radar that senses where the most inconvenient/annoying possible place to sit might be and they always, always obey their radar (top of stairs, doorways, my seat on the sofa, etc.)
    7. They are fascinated by my food and will try to share it with me. I had to “share” my ham sandwich yesterday L
    8. They all have a combination of ADHD and cat-Autism, combined with bipolar dual personality weirdness – can go from “I demand attention, love, cuddles, fussing and hugs” to “I’m not sitting on your lap, I’m going to sit in front of the telly” in 10 seconds
    9. And finally…they know who really rules the roost, oh yes, and it’s got 4 legs…

Watch Simons cat. All of them. Realise the world you now live in. :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    +1 for Simon's Cat. Compulsory viewing for any cat accomodater (there's no such thing as a cat owner, you can't really own a cat, just co-habit)

Some cat facts:
    Cats have entertaining ninja skills, particularly young cats. Unfortunately they will eventually use them to catch & bring you a dead or severely chewed small creature. Be prepared for this eventuality and also the one where the creature is merely playing dead and will run off somewhere inyour house at the earliest opportunity. Fitting a bell to the cat will help reduce this although it pisses the cat off no end.

Give a cat an inch... you can't really train a cat to do anything useful but they will soon learn where they are allowed and where not so you can instill some discipline in them. Don't go soft on them.

A cat will eventually be sick in one of your shoes, or on some other item of value. They seem to prefer this to just throwing up on the floor.

Some cats are excellent and fun to have around, some are dull or irritating. That's just how it is, hope you got a good one.

This is Gizmo, now sadly departed but possibly one of the greatest of all cats.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/enpixelato ... t-1175578/
    RIP
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Wilma is pretty scared of cats, she will growl and bark at them, but keep her distance. I think she knows that cats can be quite sharp.....

I was bought up in a house with cats, cats really have no obedience or scruples, they will settle with anyone where there is warmth and food.....most of our cats were shared by the entire neighbourhood. Put the cat out, it immediately heads to the next house.

Cats also talk behind your back and tend to lie allot.

It is quite and interesting fact that cyclists that ride on the pavement are all cat lovers.....
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    jomoj wrote:
    RIP
    What kind of electronic gizmo is that round their neck ? Looks like the universe from one of the MIB movies.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    gtvlusso wrote:

It is quite and interesting fact that cyclists that ride on the pavement are all cat lovers.....
    But not all cat lovers ride on the pavement.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

and all cat haters RLJ
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    SecretSam wrote:

For one reason or another we have to use a litter tray with my cat, which is located in the bathroom. Unfailingly she will wait until I am enjoying a nice, hot shower before coming in to drop her guts. :cry:

PS. Gizmo looks awesome Jomoj.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

and all cat haters RLJ

Ah Touché!!!!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    SecretSam wrote:
    I've found you can "teach" them this. If you say "NO" loudly, firmly and clearly in the same voice each time, and then immediately physically remove them (or chase them off) from what they're doing they tend to get the idea eventually. Our cat knows not to go on the kitchen work surface from us doing this when she was a kitten. Any time she was on it "NO" pick her up and put her back on the floor, she got the message eventually. Generally now if we say no firmly she'll stop what she's doing and scamper off.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Twostage wrote:
    jomoj wrote:
    RIP
    What kind of electronic gizmo is that round their neck ? Looks like the universe from one of the MIB movies.

it's an infra-red key for a high tech catflap. We had problems with neighbours cat's inviting themselves in for impromptu cat parties so had to install an entry system.

@jonny trousers - yes, he was a real character. Proper alpha cat but really good natured with people, used to go awol for a while but was usually found in someone else's house in the street making himself at home. Our new cat is a 6mth tabby who is just like a furry ricocheting bullet but has been great with our young kids, I think Giz would have taken a lump out of them.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    Comments in brackets....
    SecretSam wrote:

1. Saying “No” has no difference to their behaviour, you might as well talk in Swahili to them [You can sometimes stop them mid way through attacking you ankles by hissing. I guess that's not what you wanted to know. Try a spray bottle (windolene type thing) with water. This seems to be the cat equivalent of a tazer. ]
    2. They are fascinated by the most bizarre things – ours is entranced by the bath mat, on which she’ll sit for hours [ Soon it will be small spaces. Don't close anything without checking first. One of ours is currently trying to open the wardrobe. ]
    3. They don’t eat much (but see number 7) [ Until they start hunting. And get worms. Then they eat more. ]
    4. Their fur is coated with special cat superglue that only attached to clothing, especially clothing which is the opposite colour e.g. white hair and black clothes [ No, its everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. ]
    5. They are quite clean but their p00 stinks like nothing on earth [ Its okay; in due course, it will be your neighbours' problem. ]
    6. They have special cat radar that senses where the most inconvenient/annoying possible place to sit might be and they always, always obey their radar (top of stairs, doorways, my seat on the sofa, etc.) [ Most likely place to get noticed = greatest probability of food being generated. ]
    7. They are fascinated by my food and will try to share it with me. I had to “share” my ham sandwich yesterday L [ 8 out of 10 cats prefer salt. ]
    8. They all have a combination of ADHD and cat-Autism, combined with bipolar dual personality weirdness – can go from “I demand attention, love, cuddles, fussing and hugs” to “I’m not sitting on your lap, I’m going to sit in front of the telly” in 10 seconds [ They only have 6 hours a day to fit everything in. ]
    9. And finally…they know who really rules the roost, oh yes, and it’s got 4 legs…[ It gets better..... No it doesn't. ]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mum called up in tears two nights ago.

Our new cat who she's had for around a year or so got run over.

Shame.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Mum called up in tears two nights ago.

Our new cat who she's had for around a year or so got run over.

Shame.
    It will be missed.