OT: Getting a cat

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    coonbig.jpg

Is that you in the photo, holding the cat?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Time for some lolcatz...no?
    20071105_madskillz_lolcat_400x266.jpg
    Don't mind if I do.
    lolcatsdotcomxy4wwqbmg4sdmujf.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Have one of these:

haters_gonna_hate_cat_kitten_cute.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    mickbrown wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    Cat wee-wee stinks. Really stinks. You should be aware of that.

If your cat is p!ssing indoors it's not going very well.

I wouldn't dream of having a cat. Or a dog. In fact if it can't wipe its own ars* it's not allowed in my house

Err, I'm fairly sure both cats and dogs can do just that - admittedly they use their tongues.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    "Greg66 wrote:
    ...nappies. After you've done a few score of those, cleaning the cat litter is a breeze.

We've got twins. Nappies hold no fear, been there, done that. Nothing that comes out of a cat's ar5e can be as bad as the horrors that Fred and Wilma emitted as babies.

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SecretSam wrote:
    "Greg66 wrote:
    ...nappies. After you've done a few score of those, cleaning the cat litter is a breeze.

We've got twins. Nappies hold no fear, been there, done that. Nothing that comes out of a cat's ar5e can be as bad as the horrors that Fred and Wilma emitted as babies.
    [/quote]

Please tell me those aren't really your kid's names? Are your neighbours kids called Pebbles and Bam Bam?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • secretsam
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    "Greg66 wrote:

Please tell me those aren't really your kid's names? Are your neighbours kids called Pebbles and Bam Bam?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

LOL no, although we used to tell annoying strangers that they were called Millie and Billy or Meg and Greg when they were babies (the same sort of people who would ask "are they twins" (two babies, same age) or "are they two girls?" (one in blue, other in pink)). Don't get me started...:)

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    SecretSam wrote:
    "Greg66 wrote:

[/quote]

My nephew presented me with a full back poonami monday night when I was on sitting duty the little tyke. Bath time for that much gubbins.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    SecretSam wrote:
    "Greg66 wrote:

My nephew presented me with a full back poonami monday night when I was on sitting duty the little tyke. Bath time for that much gubbins.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

:lol: Not heard that one before, but describes it perfectly. Sometimes, a pack of baby wipes just isn't going to cut it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Jet washer.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Jet washer.

Or just hold them under the arms and dip into flushing lavatory pan = baby jacuzzi.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    great photo opportunities as well; we caught our old cat taking liberties with my daughter's stuffed toy in this one

2ptrr4g.jpg
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Jet washer.

:shock: I'd recommend doing that outside, unless you fancy picking digested milk protein out of the grouting.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mickbrown wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:

I wouldn't dream of having a cat. Or a dog. In fact if it can't wipe its own ars* it's not allowed in my house

a-ha! i see through your plans

dogs can wipe there arses!

9ea7c05b.jpg

anyone for streaks across their carpets?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:
    mickbrown wrote:

a-ha! i see through your plans

dogs can wipe there arses!

9ea7c05b.jpg

anyone for streaks across their carpets?

This behaviour also normally means worms too...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    PBo wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    More Maine Coons

brownbottle2.jpg
    (that's a regular sized red wine bottle)

e0cd623c9c7a.jpg

maine+coon+cat+in+the+kitchen.jpg

That's not a cat, it's an effing tiger!

Now THAT just fills me with fear and dread...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Time for some lolcatz...no?
    20071105_madskillz_lolcat_400x266.jpg

I never really get this lolcatz thing... Either I'm too old or it's straight over my head... Either way I just see a bunch of silly photos of cats with text speak headlines... Is that funny?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I never really get this lolcatz thing... Either I'm too old or it's straight over my head... Either way I just see a bunch of silly photos of cats with text speak headlines... Is that funny?

lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ben6899 wrote:

serious_cat-290.jpg

...and here we go....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    When I was a kid all our cats came from farms and were very happy outdoor creatures. The cat rehoming places seem to class their charges as house cat, outdoor cat and semi-feral.
    I now realise that what I want is a ginger semi-feral Maine Coon ! That'll give the neighbours' cats something to think about :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • I never really get this lolcatz thing... Either I'm too old or it's straight over my head... Either way I just see a bunch of silly photos of cats with text speak headlines... Is that funny?

funny-dog-pictures-some-dogs-find-lolcats-amusing1.jpg

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I want a Savannah Cat

(here is one with some random internet girl)

cat3.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:

serious_cat-290.jpg

...and here we go....

lolcat11.jpg
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm hoping to get 3rd cat by the end of the eason. (sorry if that "joke" has been done already :oops: )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm hoping to get 3rd cat by the end of the eason. (sorry if that "joke" has been done already :oops: )
    LOL_Cats11.jpg
  • Ben6899 wrote:

serious_cat-290.jpg

...and here we go....

lolcat11.jpg

untitledjm0.gif

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Tips.

Get a scratching post or two - the buggers like to have a good claw stretch (tell that to our poor setee)
    Covered litter tray - these are great, especially if the cat stands up mid flow. I'd recommend the wood based litter - it's very absorbant and stops the wee smell. Down side is it does get flicked about the kitchen, so needs hoovering up otherwise you'll get saw dust trampled into the carpets.

We've got 3 cars, two sisters of 14 years (tabbies), and a hooligan of 4 (hairy torty) (all since kittens). Pet insurance is about £15 per month per cat and goes up with age. We pay about £60 per month for the three. Sometimes comes in very handy - the older two used to get up to all sorts, almost sliced off pad, hole in side (possibly shot). One did have to have £1k of 'dental' work/treatment - she has no teeth now !

They can be very funny. All have very different personalities. The old cats still behave like hooligans when they feel like it, but they perfer to stay indoors unless it's dry and warm - the youngster will go out in any weather, and came in drenched yesterday, having been out all night, filled up with food, and off out she went again.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I'm going to get a cat when I move house but I'm going for a Maine Coon (or 2!): the kittens are generally £450 each - a rescue cat is generally less than a £100 (to pay for the upkeep while it is with them)

Oh, and for God's sake get insurance. Don't begrudge a penny of it as you NEVER want to make the decision to have the cat put to sleep because you can't afford the bills.

When you go looking take your time (and if you go to a rescue centre, get to them early on the day when the new arrivals are shown), don't just pick a 'maybe'. We (ex and me) struck gold with Mork: the most affectionate and mental cat you would ever want to meet - played around like mad, but instantly settled in my arms when I picked him up. At least 1/2 a dozen other people wanted him before they could put the tag up showing he was taken

Oh, and Maine Coon:

coonbig.jpg
    Jeez! Stroke that thing abd you'd never play the harmonium again!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Re the outdoors thing, I don't always want to go outside when it's cold and rainy, doesn't mean I want to be stuck indoors all the time though. We got ours as a 3-4 month old, he was always staring out of the window and trying to get out of the door until we had him neutered and chipped so we could let him out. He even tried getting out of a first floor window once! He became a lot calmer once he could go outside and have a run around.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I miss Mork something fierce:

P7131106.jpg

P1291041.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter