Ipod Classic or Ipod Touch

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
After my Ipod was stolen in a burglary last year, my insurers have paid out.

Do I buy an Ipod Classic or an Ipod Touch?

Let me benefit from your knowledge & reasons please
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Just music? Classic.
    All sorts of other stuff you don't need? Touch*

* unless you're 13
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Classic plays music.

Touch plays music and is also a web browser, email client, camera, games machine, video player and a thousand other things that you didn't know you needed.

No contest.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Touch
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Depends on your music file format. If you use MP3, then the Touch is fine. If you use WAV or similarly uncompressed data then get the Classic for more storage.
    I have a Classic with over 110 GB of music in WAV files on it because I hate listening to the compressed crappy MP3 sound.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Depends on your music file format. If you use MP3, then the Touch is fine. If you use WAV or similarly uncompressed data then get the Classic for more storage.
    I have a Classic with over 110 GB of music in WAV files on it because I hate listening to the compressed crappy MP3 sound.
    Apple lossless? Ogg vorbis?
    Wav isn't the most efficient and there are plenty of lossless compression formats that there's no reason I can think to put .wav on an iPod
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited April 2012
    i got a touch 4th Gen an i must admit its cool

its basically an Iphone without the phone bit (and GPS) there is soon to be a spankingly new version though so it might be worth hanging on to the 5th Gen

Touch isnt cheap though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you've a slew of music, then 160GB Classic, otherwise Touch.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How much music do you have?
  • i had a 1st gen touch, which was allright, untill you havent enough space for your tunes, so now have a classic 160GB to hold them all
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have a couple of shelves full of CDs and a NAD amp driving a mahoosive pair of seventies Kef speakers. Ideal for my needs.

.....actually I do have a little iPod nano for the car (and because Apple did a recall on the ancient nano we had and sent me a spanky new silver one last year).

However, I've never really understood the touch? They aren't significantly less expensive than an iPhone so why not just have the one device?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have both, my touch has died because of the shape and style of the port for the earphones to plug into. my classic which is 5 years old is still going strong.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    if you want to store all your music then classic.

this said the touch is a great little media gadget, music, videos even films at a push useful for kids etc. watch tv on wifi.

if your geeky ways of getting ssh from there you can connect to other computers and more command line fun.

ie the classic will play music the touch can do heck of lot more.
  • I wouldn't buy either.

If you just want something to play music I'd get a sandisk clip+ upgrade it with boombox and get a couple of sd cards to store extra music.

If you want to play games etc., or surf the net get a tablet

If you want a 'do-it-all' device get a iphone or latest generation smartphone.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I have 2nd gen Touch. Good for training as I use it to play sufferfest in the garage on it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    As above, depends on budget, amount of space required and what phone you've got. If you've already got a smartphone I can't really see the point of a touch.

Symo's point about sufferfest is good. you can get lots of handlebar mounts for iphones that would fit(ish)too.

Re the sansaclip+ they're brilliant and the sound quality is fantastic but for lots of music, unless you only have it on shuffle, would do my nut in. I wouldn't want to have more than the standard 8gb on it.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spen666
    Thanks for the replies.

I probably have around 40 -60 Gb of music if I loaded everything onto an Ipod.

I would use it when travelling, eg on planes (couple of times pa0 or on train - I travel regular 3 each way hour journeys most weeks.

I like the ipod Classic I had.

What does the TOUCH have that would justify me spending the extra cost on it? I do not have any other APPLE products so do not have iphone or ipad etc.

Can those who suggest TOUCH tell me what it is that makes it a better buy?

Oh and I am 13 years old (3 and a bit times over, so computer games are not a big wow)

Twittering @spen_666
  • CiB
    My Touch replaced a Sony NWG8 something or other, which was a music + video player with a diddy screen. The Touch had a bigger screen that made enough of a difference.

Its main use for me was email & web browsing; it's soooo much better flicking the iPod on instead of booting up the PC which then probably stays on all night once it's on. The iPad has since relegated the Touch to the sock drawer tbh but it still gets an outing occasionally.

That's pretty much all I used it for, apart from music. It has a few games & apps on that I hardly used, + a camera that might have got more use than it did. It sounds like it was under-used, which it probably was. I'd rather not use functionality that's there instead of not being able to use it because the device doesn't do it in the first place.

And size-wise I created playlists when I felt like a change rather than pretending to myself that every album track that I own (370+ CDs IIRC) is worth listening to. It's bad enough on the bike when a track that I don't much like after all comes on from a shuffle playlist, I'd never get anywhere if I had to keep moving onto the next track if I had my whole music collection on the one device. 8 gig was plenty for me thanks.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Touch has a web browser so can use the internet (as long as you have a wifi signal) they are WiFi

can watch videos

has a camera

you can use facetime

err there is probably more too
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    spen666 wrote:
    Oh and I am 13 years old (3 and a bit times over, so computer games are not a big wow)
    This is what I was drunkenly alluding to. Presumably you have a smartphone or laptop or other means of surfing when travelling. I got the impression you were looking for a way of storing music, so I would have thought a Classic would suit your purposes. The Touch is very good, my kids lover theirs. But, they are kids. One advantage of the Touch is it might have some functionality that would help with the stuff in the foreign language thread about music and wifi. All beyond me though.
  • DrLex
    Would you see yourself updating your blog or sending a tweet from a Touch?
    (Sorry; can't bring myself to "verb" those nouns...)
  • prawny
    If you have no other apple stuff have you considering putting the money towards an ipad for traveling?

You can use it for music, catchup tv, t'internetting and e-book reading.

Of course an ipod touch can do all of these too, just with a much smaller screen. I love our ipad, unfortunately it's shared with the wife so I can't bring it to work every day. If the ipad mini rumour turns out to be true I am on it.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spen666
    DrLex wrote:

Could I do that?

Twittering @spen_666
  • CiB
    prawny wrote:
    I love our ipad, unfortunately it's shared with the wife so I can't bring it to work every day. If the ipad mini rumour turns out to be true I am on it.
    Meh. Buy another iPad and be done with it. Why should you lose out?
  • prawny
    Seriously if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate. but I'd get a 4g one and a giffgaff sim so I could properly give it hammer. (Can't tether to an iPhone without paying extra, scumbag orange)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    spen666 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

Could I do that?

Yes. Would be easier from an ipad though. I type better on the ipad than on our (now unloved) netbook.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    prawny wrote:
    If the ipad mini rumour turns out to be true I am on it.
    Wouldn't that just be an iPod Touch?
  • DrLex
    prawny wrote:
    . (Can't tether to an iPhone without paying extra, scumbag orange)
    Giffgaff T&C's forbid tethering. However, jailbreak, install MyWi and don't use too much data= you should be fine on any network.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    prawny wrote:
    Seriously if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate. but I'd get a 4g one and a giffgaff sim so I could properly give it hammer. (Can't tether to an iPhone without paying extra, scumbag orange)
    4g doesnt exist in this country yet. would eb pointless
  • I believe the Classic has a physical hard drive where as the Touch has solid state memory. This means that the Classic wil have larger storage capacity, but due to moving parts may be less reliable, get a bit hotter and drain batteries quicker.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    prawny wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

Could I do that?

Yes. Would be easier from an ipad though. I type better on the ipad than on our (now unloved) netbook.

This.

For travelling it's the single best thing I own. Video, music, books, games - brilliant. And good battery life means most journey's/flights are covered.

Also use it all the time at home for browsing, and when away in hotels.