Steel framed bikes

2»

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, pump it up so when you get on the bike - in 'attack' position - as if you were going to ride over some bumpy stuff, it sags about 25%. There should be a rubber band on it to measure. Then fine tune until you are happy.

And check what your bike manufacturer says here, My mondy is recommended to have 40% sag at the rear for instance, and some people like firmer and softer set ups, the average recommendation is about 30% roughly 1/3rd of available travel. but 25% is generally a more stiff very XC set up IE long grindy rides where efficiency is a priority to the rider involved, though with pr pedal on most rear shocks you can have the best of both worlds.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Best thing to do is try out different frames.

I've had Alu and steel H/T and for me the difference was huge. Steel is real!!

However its worth noting that weight for weight you need as much Alu as Steel to make a frame strong enough. So a high end steel bike will be as heavy/light as any high end Alu bike. Even Ducati still make there road bikes with a steel frames so it can't be that bad...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    gezebo wrote:
    Best thing to do is try out different frames.

I've had Alu and steel H/T and for me the difference was huge. Steel is real!!

However its worth noting that weight for weight you need as much Alu as Steel to make a frame strong enough. So a high end steel bike will be as heavy/light as any high end Alu bike. Even Ducati still make there road bikes with a steel frames so it can't be that bad...
    Erm, no. Aluminium is lighter, for the same strength. It's why aeroplanes are made if it, and why it has found such widespread use in bicycles.
    The difference between your steel and aluminium frame would have depended far more on design and build, than material, I assure you.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So a high end steel bike will be as heavy/light as any high end Alu bike

Couldn't be more wrong. The lightest XC alu frames are 2.3lbs for an 18inch, yet pass the safety tests. What is the lightest steel frame you can find?
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I've been quite interested in the Whyte 19 steel lately however this is probably because i perceive steel to be more longer lasting and tougher through it's unquestioned use in the bmx scene. However that didn't stop my brother's Mankind £200+ bmx frame splitting at less than 3 months old the other week.

And the reason I want a hardtail is because I had loads of fun on my past ones, which were all aluminium