Merging Cake Stop and Commuting Chat?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,323
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
It's nice that the folks from Cake Stop are coming over here and that we are going over there.

Begs the question then. Why have 2 (now 3) off topic areas at all?

Surely Commuting should be a sub section of Road, with a one off topic section for the nice people and the Bottom Bracket for boobies and stuff....
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    :roll:

That's not a very constructive comment from a mod. Now is it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I made the suggestion in jest but as a lazy clicker, it'd save me going back and forth!

You could make this a sub section of Road and call it Embankment peleton :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Why not? I must confess since that debate started I have spent more time in Cake Stop and the MTB sections.
    The problem with merging this section with a road section is that it may alienate the mountain biking commuters, Bails, Stevo, Roger and various others. So why not merge all the off topic sections? Have a single split for more adult/childish content. We all ride bikes and enjoy it, merging might get rid of some of the snobbery between sections.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    But then all the tits would be in one place,and I'm not referring to the Girls In_ threads :roll:
  • But then all the tits would be in one place,and I'm not referring to the Girls In_ threads :roll:

Wonders what the collective noun would be.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • veronese68
    But then all the tits would be in one place,and I'm not referring to the Girls In_ threads :roll:
    As opposed to being spread about the place now. Is that good or bad?
  • It's nice that the folks from Cake Stop are coming over here and that we are going over there.

We speak different languages. A PB on a century ride for a roadie is how fast you can do 100 miles in whereas for commuters it's about getting a good time over 100 metres on strava :lol:

I'm guess Rick is rolling his eyes at yet another request for change from the commuters' section.

If people want to aggregate the forum then they can do it themselves by gettng an RSS feed reader. My favourite is Feedsquares on Chromium browsers and Android as it displays all RSS feeds as tiles rather than simple lists.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Different languages? I'd take a stab in the dark and go as far as saying there may be more racers in CC than CT and a greater use of MTFU.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This place is less off topic than Cake Stop - even the forming of Commuting General didn't change that. I like the balance here. I post in Cake Stop and like it there too but with the Road Beginners and Buying Advice taking the techy stuff, there is less of a bikey feel to it.

I can't quite see there is a need to change things - other than change for the sake of it and that's rarely a good idea.

And besides, what's wrong with the rivalry between the forums? It's just a bit of fun.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    iPete wrote:
    You could make this a sub section of Road and call it Embankment peloton :lol:

And then you'd just alienate all the folk lucky enough not to commute in that London!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

Wonders what the collective noun would be.

A cup.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's a different type of person though isn't it? We're all chatting here because we all have a mutual preference for cycle commuting, so we have one big thing in common.

Cake shop is the melting pot of all the different forums. Each main section (as it were) has it's own off-topic forum; this works fine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    It's nice that the folks from Cake Stop are coming over here and that we are going over there.

Surely Commuting should be a sub section of Road, with a one off topic section for the nice people and the Bottom Bracket for boobies and stuff....
    Subforums can only go UP in number, didn't you know?

Clearly the thing to do is to have a new Commuting Cake Stop subforum.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I prefer to have them separate, as I consider myself more a part the commuting community than the road one, and I'm sure they've got their own in-jokes etc. just as we have. Of course there is some overlap, but I'm sure there are lots of posters to the Road forums who never look in the Commuting ones, and vice versa, so I'm not keen on forcing the two groups together after they have been "separate" for so long. Besides, moving Commuting under Road makes us the immigrants into their territory, and we'd be rejected and victimised. Maybe. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Merge them? Nay. I like the completely different feel that exists in them. Merging them would be akin to claiming Classic FM & Radio 3 are the same so can be joined as one. Leave orf.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Why not? I must confess since that debate started I have spent more time in Cake Stop and the MTB sections.
    The problem with merging this section with a road section is that it may alienate the mountain biking commuters, Bails, Stevo, Roger and various others.
    I don't think you have to worry about that Veronese, we're already alienated by cruel 'tractor' comments from lycra wearing types :wink:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Commuting used to be a subsection of Road quite a long time ago though I'm not sure that merging CS and CC would go down well with some people after the 'Mary Whitehouse' wars a few weeks ago.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    nice bit of trolling to start the thread :-) lets leave things as they are tho.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    *takes mod hat off*

Ever since that DDD thread there's been a deluge of suggestions on how to run the forum.

Is it really that bad? The inital point raised made sense - sailing close to the wind re-pictures of girls, but all this spin off stuff seems all a bit much, no? Especially all this cake-stop vs commuters stuff - whether it be "they're losers" or "we need to be all inclusive". It's broadly fine. If you want to post in both, do, if you don't, don't. Personally, I think the commuter chat part of the forum works particularly well - it's a genuinely good blend between OT stuff and relevant commuter stuff. Especially after some of the OT political stuff got reined in (I know I didn't help!)

Cake stop's community has always been a bit more fluid - and it's seen quite a big change in the make up of people since i've been using it. It's also not London centric, which has its advantages.

It's all broadly fine.

*mod hat back on*
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    edited April 2012
    In The Beginning, there was but One commuting thread. And lo, the commuters did congregate to discuss puncture-proof tyres, and Addison-Lee taxis, and helmet cams. And it was good. If a little dull.

Then ChrisLS begat the SCR thread. And lo, many tales of comedy derring-do resulting in removal of hair with skin were told. And the mods looked upon it favourably, for it was good. And this thread attracted a 'comedy' element (Greg66, GregT, itboffin and DDD). And the 'comedy' element begat many new topics. Many of which were commuting related, but many of which were not. And the off-topic threads did breed, and the posting rate of Commuting did increase. Although now, not much of it was anything to do with commuting.

And there was much wailing and tearing of hair in Cake Stop, mostly manifested in threads with titles like 'Is Commuting The New Cake Stop?'. And the mods looked upon the turbulent roadies, and decreed: To appease our brightly coloured spandex-clothed children, we shall divide the commuters, for that is best to rule them. There shall be a Commuting Chat, for those not bound by the roadie or MTB creeds to engage in irreverent humour, and a Commuting General, for those of a boring, humourless, adenoid-afflicted disposition.

And it has been thus ever since.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • veronese68
    I don't actually see any need to change things. I was trying to make the point that we all have a shared interest and could be a bit more inclusive with less of the us and them atitude.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    The common ground is use of the road network for varying purpose so it kinda makes sense,but given the recent history though (and the creation of a new forum which appears as if it will never open) it's really just moving an issue that is probably best left alone.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DesWeller wrote:
    In The Beginning, there was but One commuting thread. And lo, the commuters did congregate to discuss puncture-proof tyres, and Addison-Lee taxis, and helmet cams. And it was good. If a little dull.

Then ChrisLS begat the SCR thread. And lo, many tales of comedy derring-do resulting in removal of hair with skin were told. And the mods looked upon it favourably, for it was good. And this thread attracted a 'comedy' element (Greg66, GregT, itboffin and DDD). And the 'comedy' element begat many new topics. Many of which were commuting related, but many of which were not. And the off-topic threads did breed, and the posting rate of Commuting did increase. Although now, not much of it was anything to do with commuting.

And there was much wailing and tearing of hair in Cake Stop, mostly manifested in threads with titles like 'Is Commuting The New Cake Stop?'. And the mods looked upon the turbulent roadies, and decreed: To appease our brightly coloured spandex-clothed children, we shall divide the commuters, for that is best to rule them. There shall be a Commuting Chat, for those not bound by the roadie or MTB creeds to engage in irreverent humour, and a Commuting General, for those of a boring, humourless, adenoid-afflicted disposition.

And it has been thus ever since.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've not been over to Cake Stop much so FWIW:

I like CC where it is because I don't really consider myself a road cyclist, in fact I hardly consider myself a "cyclist" at all. I just happen to use my bike to get to work for lots of reasons (in rough order of importance: enjoyment, cost, fitness, time, environment). I haven't ridden my bike for any other purpose for about 3 years. As such, I have more in common with other commuters than road cyclists. I also started commuting on a slicked-up MTB so I probably wouldn't have found anywhere to chat if CC was part of Road.

In fact, I'd say that the Commuting subsection is a more natural home for the Campaign sub-subsection. Bike commuters are on the roads at rush hours and are more urban-centric, so issues and campaigns regarding safety and interactions between cyclists and other vehicles seems more in their remit. As commuting is one type of utility cycling (SCR notwithstanding), it also seems like a sensible place to deal with campaigns trying to get more people on their bikes for everyday journeys.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    For totally selfish reasons, I like how London centric CC is. If we merged with Cakestop then the number of northerners complaining about every thread that mentioned SCR, Addison Lee, The Mayor etc... would be quite tiring!
  • tailwindhome
    nice bit of trolling to start the thread.

Meh! The idea was sound but the timing was off.

3/10
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    *takes mod hat off*

Ever since that DDD thread there's been a deluge of suggestions on how to run the forum.

Is it really that bad? The inital point raised made sense - sailing close to the wind re-pictures of girls, but all this spin off stuff seems all a bit much, no? Especially all this cake-stop vs commuters stuff - whether it be "they're losers" or "we need to be all inclusive". It's broadly fine. If you want to post in both, do, if you don't, don't. Personally, I think the commuter chat part of the forum works particularly well - it's a genuinely good blend between OT stuff and relevant commuter stuff. Especially after some of the OT political stuff got reined in (I know I didn't help!)

Cake stop's community has always been a bit more fluid - and it's seen quite a big change in the make up of people since i've been using it. It's also not London centric, which has its advantages.

It's all broadly fine.

*mod hat back on*

agree with the above - it ticked over nicely before IMHO and is fine now the furore has died down too. Lets let it all settle down and see if these changes work before throwing more into the mix. I've seen this sort of thing seriously hurt other forums with every vested interest expecting to be pandered to and little internecine battles, personal spats and a few inflated ego's raining on it for the majority. I had no idea it was so tribal on here.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    northerners ... would be quite tiring!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Forum whore here.

Doesn't matter too much to be honest.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rolf_f
    notsoblue wrote:
    For totally selfish reasons, I like how London centric CC is. If we merged with Cakestop then the number of northerners complaining about every thread that mentioned SCR, Addison Lee, The Mayor etc... would be quite tiring!

What the hell is Addison Lee?

Actually, CC isn't London centric - a few of the threads are London centric. And it clearly looks like it behoves the non-London based majority here to tire notsoblue out by constantly complaining about London based threads.

As for Cake Stop - maybe it's time for commuters to stop meddling in other forums! Or at least have the decency to post such threads over there as well.......