This advice I received at 2nd club run today, do you agree ?

2»

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    DavidJB wrote:
    That quoted hill speed is utter bs...end of.

Descending :?:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    JGSI wrote:
    I have to agree... when you start bandying about mph figures and of course it's only for the 3rd bunch etc etc that goes off on a Sunday morning... it's hardly good pr to encourage the real beginner to think about club membership.
    It may make you feel good about yourself, but....
    I took the comment with a pinch of salt lol it cannot be a serious quote, there is no way they average 18mph uphills, unless they mean a moderate fly over or possibly a 1% incline being classed as a hill . :D

I assumed they meant 18 over a whole hilly ride and 21 on a whole flat ride. Averaging 18 where I live would be pretty poor!! Surely the numbers are there to give people a tangible idea of how fast the groups are?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm very disappointed at the length of time it took for somebody to bring up the "averaging 18 mph on the hills".
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Hmm. So surely it depends on the hills - yesterday on our club run, the "training ride" we went up two hills in the north downs, first Effingham Road It's according to Strava 3.7km at 2.5%, but really it's steeper than that as there's a descent in the middle. It's unquestionably a hill, the group splits up and regroups. I was dropped early on the hill on one of the steeper parts, but I still averaged 20mph on it. The second hill was Abinger to Holmbury St Mary again 4km at 1.6% but the actual main hill part slightly steeper. That was done averaging over 21mph. They're hills, if you were riding them there's no argument they'd be hills. Of course they're not steep hills, but if they were typical of the type of hill in the area you lived then 18mph would be a perfectly reasonable speed to say the group averages up them. Up an 8%+ climb then obviously it would be ludicrous to suggest 18mph, but we don't know what the profile looks like.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Somebody needs to post - "When does a slope become a hill" because surely you can't class 1 or 2% as a hill, a slight incline maybe or a slope but that's not a hill, wouldn't a route with acsent like that be classed as slightly undulating, it's not even undulating.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    I guess it partly depends how long the 1% hill is. I have a Sustrans route near me that is on an old railway track, it has an almost constant 1.5% climb for just over 7 miles. Sure in comparison to some of the other hills in this part of the world it is nothing, but you will certainly have to put more effort in to ride up it than down it...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    the climbs around me, Bwllch, Rhigos are about 8%. the shorter steeper hills are 10-15%. This is average for the hill, some sections are near to 20%.

there are 3 roads to get out of my valley, two involve 100m+ height gain in two km. on the mtb there are even steeper section to ride. We call less than 5% 'flat'. ;-)

I saw the figures the OP had put up and thought it was highly exaggerated as per some of his previous posts.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ...but it's a local club so it will be the local hills. I think your making this more difficult than it needs to be, possibly for comic effect, but still...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I am missing something - 'if you keep doing the club runs they will get easier ?' - and youve come on the internet for verification ?

Of course they will
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bozman wrote:
    Somebody needs to post - "When does a slope become a hill" because surely you can't class 1 or 2% as a hill, a slight incline maybe or a slope but that's not a hill, wouldn't a route with acsent like that be classed as slightly undulating, it's not even undulating.

Jibberjim is not talking about hills - rather irregularities in the terrain flatness coefficient :lol:

I dunno - a hill to me is something approaching double figures percentage wise. Anything less is recovery!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Rolf F wrote:
    Jibberjim is not talking about hills - rather irregularities in the terrain flatness coefficient :lol:

I dunno - a hill to me is something approaching double figures percentage wise. Anything less is recovery!

:) To me a hill is anything where I can drop someone just by riding hard. Of course anyone who can't hold my wheel on the flat doesn't count as a someone.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    ddraver wrote:
    ...but it's a local club so it will be the local hills. I think your making this more difficult than it needs to be, possibly for comic effect, but still...

Is it the Royston Vasey Wheelers, a local club for local people?
  • slowsider wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Is it the Royston Vasey Wheelers, a local club for local people?

THERE'S NOTHING FOR YOU HERE!