Fred whitton 2012

Comments

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    James - I think you are being a bit hasty with the weather forecast. Plenty of time to change before the event. The only accurate long range forecast is when there is an area of high pressure. Anything else and you can only forecast 24hrs and even then it can be iffy.
    Brian B.
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    Lookin at the long term forecast (taking with a pinch of salt) it's forcasted rain and 20'c... Crazy weather
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    James - I think you are being a bit hasty with the weather forecast

well maybe, exact details obviously may change but general trend forecasts seem very much erring on side of wet / cold unfortunately. IME out to 15 day trend forecasts generally OK, although specifics not so good
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    For weather, I'm hanging onto this phrase from today's Met Office two week forecast:

"Possibly becoming less unsettled by mid-may with temperatures recovering, especially in southern Britain."
  • JamesB
    is the Lake District southern Britain ?? I suppose it depends on perspective :)
    Technically I suppose it is just about geographic central Britain (Dunsop Bridge near Lancaster is holder of that exact title)
    Here (edge Wales) is southern Britain and it can`t get much `less unsettled` than yesterday :(:( ---nearly 2 inches rain, gales, 3 c and lots trees brought down / uprooted :shock:
  • Jonr
    Jonr Posts: 73
    Can anyone recommend where to camp saturday night for the fred?
    MTB
    2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
    199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • JamesB
    Not a recommendation but Consiton Hall campsite looks quite pleasant place,

http://www.lakedistrictcampsites.co.uk/ ... psite.html

basic not too pricey, towards shores lake Coniston; stayed there years ago and if recall seemed OK; anyway it`s teh site I`ll be using if I manage to get back into shape to ride. :)
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    just checked the forecast for Sunday. Not too shabby by the looks of it. Apparently partly sunshine partly cloudy with chance of a few showers. Hmm...sounds like a token default setting for English summertime to me, but sounds promising!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    JamesB wrote:
    Not a recommendation but Consiton Hall campsite looks quite pleasant place,

http://www.lakedistrictcampsites.co.uk/ ... psite.html

basic not too pricey, towards shores lake Coniston; stayed there years ago and if recall seemed OK; anyway it`s teh site I`ll be using if I manage to get back into shape to ride. :)

Someone told me the other day that the last time they were up there, that site was full of drunken Scousers fighting! That image kept me chuckling for a long time :lol:
  • rodgers73
    edited May 2012
    Are there any showers available at the finish?

There were at the Etape du Dales and they were very welcome! No info on the Fred website.

EDIT - there are. Internet blindness strikes again!
  • JamesB
    however won`t be up there now as still battling viral infection and have withdrawn from event :( , another place available to those on waiting list
  • rodgers73
    Forecast on BBC is heavy rain and 13mph wind. Damn.
  • Bordersroadie
    I hate to be a doom-monger but the Met Office says much stronger wind (gusting 40mph+) and heavy rain, 9 degrees less wind chill.

Bugger.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Porkanbeans
    Porkanbeans Posts: 19
    Seeing as it looks like its going to be a wet one! what are peoples thoughts on bibshorts vs bibtights for wet weather riding?
    Obviously, folks preference may also depend on temps on the day, but im currently debating whether to go for the heavy, wet and claggy feel of tights post downpour or to brave it and go with exposed bare naked flesh allowing me more freedom but possibly making my legs very chilly!

Be interested in peoples views on this matter!
  • rodgers73
    Bibtights for me.
  • Porkanbeans
    Do you not find them uncomfortable when they're sodden?
  • nunowoolmez
    thinking just the same thing. Normal bibshorts won't offer much in the way of protection from the cold or rain or windchill. Never had a pair so not sure how they fair when wet. Nothing worse than being stuck on a bike & being cold though - especially for a long one like this! Sometimes wear sports undershorts under bibshorts but find the waist band can be a bit constrictive so not great on long climbs. Reckon i'm gonna go & invest in some bibtights.
  • Porkanbeans
    Ive got some nanotech castelli tights but cant see them keeping me dry during a severe downpour! May do for a longer period of time over normal tights, but i'll still get soaked, have done so on previous ridey dayss. Just never tried shorts on rainy days. You're right though rather be wet and warmish than wet and cold.
  • nunowoolmez
    Unpadded bibtights with padded bibshorts on top for me i reckon.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Unpadded bibtights with padded bibshorts on top for me i reckon.

Could change yet. Looks like the heavy rain is due after 4 PM at the moment. The Fangs Brow and Cold Fell section is going to be murder into a headwind though!
  • Bordersroadie
    Bibshorts plus legwarmers for me.

Plus plastic bags on shoes, duct-taped at ankles then overshoes on top!
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    Those of us who start on or around 6 am hopefully will be close 'ish to the halfway mark before it'll start to pi$$ down. I feel sorry for those who'll be riding late into the afternoon!

Bib shorts with knee warmers and waterproof overshoes will be on the cards for me... Probably a base layer underneath my jersey. Definitely will be carrying a waterproof gillet.

The joys of our crap british weather!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Is it me or are some people over reacting to the weather forecast. Its 5 days away and has plenty of time to change and last year I cycled the majority in 3/4bibs and a light weight full sleeve top and that was with hail, sleet and strong winds. I have yet to see an accurate five day forecast that does not include a high pressure system. Forecast will change daily.

Its a hard day out and more so with bad weather but you aint going to get trench foot or infected saddle sores if it gets wet.

Send out some positive waves for the good weather
    Brian B.
  • BeauMaximus
    BeauMaximus Posts: 73
    Is it me or are some people over reacting to the weather forecast. Its 5 days away and has plenty of time to change.
    Its a hard day out and more so with bad weather but you aint going to get trench foot or infected saddle sores if it gets wet.

Send out some positive waves for the good weather

+1
  • rodgers73
    Are you posting from California??? ;-)
  • Porkanbeans
    Brian B wrote:
    last year I cycled the majority in 3/4bibs and a light weight full sleeve top and that was with hail, sleet and strong winds
    Rather you than me :wink:
  • Porkanbeans
    Nowt wrong in being prepared, that's all!
  • rodgers73
    Forecast getting marginally better.

BBC now showing rain starting at 4pm, Met Office says light rain during the day.

Wind speeds more of a worry though - 40mph gusts don't sound good.