Single Speed

13»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    So seems I can run 1/8 chain which means can get 1/8 chainring in 130bcd but 53 doesn't seem to exist?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo
    So I reckon I will get a 1/8 chainring and chain and keep the existing freewheel which is a shimano sf-mx30 which can take 1/8 or the stupid 3/32 that genesis have made everything. Should work?

Pete a 51 looks to be as big as I can get in 1/8 and 130bcd so would be keen on that...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    okgo wrote:
    So I reckon I will get a 1/8 chainring and chain and keep the existing freewheel which is a shimano sf-mx30 which can take 1/8 or the stupid 3/32 that genesis have made everything. Should work?

Pete a 51 looks to be as big as I can get in 1/8 and 130bcd so would be keen on that...

Why not 3/32 at the front, then you can go to 55t?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Next time I do a shirt run I'll bring it into central, looks like it has some life left.
  • okgo
    Asprilla wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I can't find any?

3/32 when searched doesn't turn up a lot of results, or is that just a normal ring? Some links would be good, I don't want a normal ring if its going to get smashed to bits like on the last page...
  • asprilla
    edited July 2013
    okgo wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I can't find any?

3/32 when searched doesn't turn up a lot of results, or is that just a normal ring? Some links would be good, I don't want a normal ring if its going to get smashed to bits like on the last page...

SJS are great for this kind of thing: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/130-bcd-5-ar ... pt725_pg1/

53t does appear to be an issue, but there is a 52 there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • okgo
    No 55t there?
  • asprilla
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • okgo
    Where does it say that its 3/32 though?
  • asprilla
    Sorry, it doesn't, but if it's Shimano 10spd compatible then it's 3/32
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • okgo
    Got it :)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Perhaps it is placebo(?) but I much prefer a chain that is shorter, easier to get taught and seem to stay taught for longer.

It would mean you'd need a new freewheel but 49x16 would be my choice or 46x15 if you can find one that small. Pick a gear that hits the cruising speed you want @90rpm, works for me, it means you compromise your Embankment pace but you'd be on your race bike if you were that interested...

http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why not just go 50x16 or 50x17? Plenty of 50T to be found and freewheels are pretty cheap - unless you get a lovely White Indistries one.
  • okgo
    Probably go for 54/18 can't be arsed changing the back bit as well. 90 rpm at 21 mph is fine. Have to think about the times its a headwind, and going up ballet school etc ;)