Single Speed

Comments

• pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    dhope wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Nope, no closer, lots of thoughts about bikes, less so about SS of late haha. I'm useless.
    Dolan Seta for £736 from Wiggle using the 37% plus extra 10% off. I'm tempted myself. I wont as I don't have anywhere to put it yet but I am so very tempted.

sold out already! :(
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pompy wrote:
    You will need v brakes or cross style canti's. The Macinato is designed for calipers but if you like the brown paintjob you will have to get the Pompino. I have Tektro mini V's on the back which are fine and 105 caliper on the front as I got a carbon fork instead of the mega heavy steel job!

Cheers for that - i will look into both,

One other quick question if i may, which fork?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    It was an Alpina fork, bought from Dotbike about four years ago. Nothing special, alloy steerer, about 550g I think and £80ish. It has a nice carbon weave which I like though. Used a Cane Creek S2 headset and the crown of the forks follows the lines of the bottom cup perfectly (little things)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    SS is for girls. Fixed is what you need, no point with SS, might as well have gears ! :twisted:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I used to think that fossyant. I flipped back to SS for taking the Hamax on and just kept it that way now - for commuting I think I prefer SS. Fun riding fixed though.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    pompy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Nope, no closer, lots of thoughts about bikes, less so about SS of late haha. I'm useless.
    Dolan Seta for £736 from Wiggle using the 37% plus extra 10% off. I'm tempted myself. I wont as I don't have anywhere to put it yet but I am so very tempted.

Only in 48 and 58, they still have 52, 54 and 58. Wait til 12.01am and it'll drop another %
    www.wiggle.co.uk/dolan-seta-track-bike
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    pompy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Only in 48 and 58, they still have 52, 54 and 58. Wait til 12.01am and it'll drop another %
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dolan-seta-track-bike

I've just had a look at that bike and it is an out and out track bike and will not take a front brake (or rear, I guess). Riding a brakeless fixie on the road ain't for me.
    I'm crazy, but I ain't no fool.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Does anyone out there make an super light, nicely priced Allu SS bike or that just not cricket?

Really liking the Cinelli Gazzetta but would have to add a rear brake. Think I'll price up my own build...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    fossyant wrote:
    SS is for girls. Fixed is what you need, no point with SS, might as well have gears ! :twisted:

SS is for girls like fixed is for fakengers, right?

The reason for riding SS is Value for money, simplicity where maintenance is concerned, and the feel of that very direct drive. Although I'm into gears, they sound like good reasons to own a gearless bike to me, whichever cog you enjoy using most: flip or flop.
  • dhope
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    pompy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I've just had a look at that bike and it is an out and out track bike and will not take a front brake (or rear, I guess). Riding a brakeless fixie on the road ain't for me.
    Dolan do a front fork drilled for a brake that goes with the Pre Cursa when purchased direct from Dolan. The Seta probably doesn't come with that option from Wiggle but a fork and brake wouldn't be much of a hassle to find. No rear brake though certainly
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    pompy wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Dolan do a front fork drilled for a brake that goes with the Pre Cursa when purchased direct from Dolan. The Seta probably doesn't come with that option from Wiggle but a fork and brake wouldn't be much of a hassle to find. No rear brake though certainly

It would be a bit of a faff to have to buy the Seta and a fork (& brake, brake cable and maybe brake lever), but I suppose it gives the owner the option of being able to swap forks to go from seriously fast road going fixie to fast track bike.
    Kind of like buying an Ariel Atom, fitting road tyres and using it as a daily runner but having the option of fitting slicks and blasting around Brands Hatch.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    Rode in today on 1 gear and span out on Millbank in front of a few SCRers :lol:

Managed Richmond Hill so all good. Think I need to go down the cheap route and convert an old bike. Does that ever work or does it turn into an expensive restoration?

Spending £700 on a new SS is a bit hmmm, my roadie needs some tlc. have to sit on that thought till pay day.
  • clarkey cat
    My second hand Pearson Touche in almost perfect nick was £300.
  • iPete
    True, need to be patient and watch ebay and lfgss classifieds!
  • clarkey cat
    got mine on the classified section on here. always stuff coming up.
  • iPete
    watched this go for only £500 yesterday, in my limited SS experience looks rather too nice for a chore avoider like me
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330722134925? ... 1423.l2649
  • rubertoe
    So there I was just about to order a pompino frame from On-One (99 of my english pounds) SWMBO comes home - bad news - she is having to take a wage cut for 6 months.

:evil:

Gutted.

maybe i'll see if i can get all the parts together and then buy the frame down the line!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    That's her problem, get it bought.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rubertoe
    okgo wrote:
    That's her problem, get it bought.

:D:D

Doubt she will see it like that.

• okgo
    Ok, so close to buying a Genesis Flyer off a mate.

Only issue is that its got 36/18 on it. Can I just change the front to a 53 and buy a new chain?

Also, what chains do you use on SS, are there more robust ones?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    you can but thats going to be a massive gear, although saying that you're an animal so will probably find it too easy!

Yeah the chains are wider so you need to make sure you get the right width chain ring. they are stronger as well

something like this
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-cra ... tAodqSUAPw

but check the bcd obvs
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The KMC 1/8 inch chains are decent. SRAM PC1 as well.

53/18 should be fine. I run a 50/17 which gives exactly the same GI of 77.3 I think.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:
    you can but thats going to be a massive gear, although saying that you're an animal so will probably find it too easy!

Yeah the chains are wider so you need to make sure you get the right width chain ring. they are stronger as well

something like this
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-cra ... tAodqSUAPw

but check the bcd obvs

I run that Chain ring. It's served me very well.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    for some reason i read that as 53x13 :lol: still think you'd be able to cope with that!

i like the SRAM PC1 as well
  • dhope
    53/18 will be fine. It's smaller than the 48/15 I'm running and you're putting down a lot more power than me.

You can put a 1/8" chain on a 3/32 chainring so shouldn't worry something like this will do. They're cheap as chips
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ramchai150

(you can't put a 3/32 chain on a 1/8 chainring though)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • okgo
    Just need to find out what BCD the Genesis comes with, doesn't seem to say in their specs?

Thanks guys, will get a 53 then, don't want anything too big as often doing the commute with sore legs etc rather than racing it lol
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    okgo wrote:
    Just need to find out what BCD the Genesis comes with, doesn't seem to say in their specs?

Thanks guys, will get a 53 then, don't want anything too big as often doing the commute with sore legs etc rather than racing it lol

Looks like a Driveline TK13 P1 (Evans says the chainset is Driveline).

That's 130BCD.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iPete
    I might have a 51t you can have (need to check how worn it is), used to ride 51x17 but prefer a smaller GI & shorter chain these days.
  • I snapped my 1/8" chain last month, anyone know if there is a definative super strong one, else i'm diarising to replace it every 6 months.

On gearing, consider a 28m tire on the back will give you 2/3" more on your GI

Finally, use specific track chain rings, I used a 9 speed and did this to it.

8278531160_2ba5a34f36.jpg
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    KMC Z610 HX like wot I use gets good reviews.

Edit - Ignore as it's a 3/32. The 510HX is the 1/8 version. Any KMC chain with HX in the name is heavy duty.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX