Office debate: which sport is played more globally?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Golf or Tennis?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Football.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Football.

S'not the question innit.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    In numerical terms or geographical spread?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Maxticate
    Maxticate Posts: 193
    edited April 2012
    http://www.topendsports.com/world/lists ... ations.htm

Here you go.

Golf is not in the top ten list so Tennis is the more widely played.
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    In numerical terms or geographical spread?

Numbers.

The context is (standard recruitment chat ;)):

If you wanted your kid to be a millionaire sportsman, what sport would it be in?

Now, football is the obvious answer, but boss doesn't like football, so he decided on golf.

So we were basically looking at the pyramid of earnings at the top versus the number of people who you'd be competing against - so in football, though there are many more millionaires who play, there are many more people vying for said position.

Something like motorsport would be good ( I suggested), but there are higher sunk costs...

Anyway, someone claimed that golf is played more often than tennis in relation to said debate. I'm not sure that's true, but I can't verify.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Fishing
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jonginge
    Anyway, someone claimed that golf is played more often than tennis in relation to said debate. I'm not sure that's true, but I can't verify.
    I wouldn't be surprised. My dad plays golf. His club has a decent turnout every day of the week.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    JonGinge wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised. My dad plays golf. His club has a decent turnout every day of the week.
    This comes back to how you measure it doesn't it? If you play a round of golf 6 days a week (as my Grandad did during his retirement), are you counted once like someone who plays tennis once a week?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To make money in this Country?
    Tennis.
    Lets face it. There's not much competition to be the No.2.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    To make money in this Country?
    Tennis.
    Lets face it. There's not much competition to be the No.2.

Ah, an interesting angle.

Like it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm hoping my boy ends up as a 7 foot freak and I'll then pack him off to the States on a basketball scholarship. US sports are where the money's at - that includes Golf which is huge over there.
  • jonginge
    Graeme_S wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    This comes back to how you measure it doesn't it? If you play a round of golf 6 days a week (as my Grandad did during his retirement), are you counted once like someone who plays tennis once a week?
    Indeed. There's lies, damn lies and statistics :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Indeed. There's lies, damn lies and statistics :D

I didn't think they were even comparable.

Golf's f*cking expensive, and tennis isn't.

Then again, golf is full of old people (like cycling).

The rule was play more than 25 times a year qualifies you as a 'player' of the sport.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited April 2012
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm hoping my boy ends up as a 7 foot freak and I'll then pack him off to the States on a basketball scholarship. US sports are where the money's at - that includes Golf which is huge over there.

aye, brother of my ex got a scholarship for basketball over in Delaware. He played for the Toxteth Tigers when he was over here

god knows how he is getting on now though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I usually get to hit the ball more often in a round of golf than a tennis match :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'd say, at the professional level, you can earn more money being mediocre at golf, especially on the US tour, than you could at tennis.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Is this a trick question? I can honestly not see any way in which Golf is a sport, it's just a game, fits in with darts and poker.
  • Millionaire with least sustained effort - women's tennis by some margin I reckon. If genuinely talented (Henin, Clijsters, Williams - dare I say Capriati) you can keep going for aeons.
    Pick a household name at random - Maria Kirilenko. Has had years with earnings near a milion despite rarely if ever featuring in the top twenty. Winning a slam? Forget it, though that's not a big deal in terms of rankings in either golf or tennis.
    As for the original question, my guess and only a guess would be tennis, which seems to be borne out by other posters.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If you want to get your leg over, I'd suggest becoming a tennis pro at a club frequented by bored, rich housewives. I think a pro at club level of either will make a decent living. Step up a level and there is more money in golf.

Just about every kid has a tennis bat but how many have golf sticks? By that rationale, I'd go with tennis, even if they only hit a flat ball over a loose net twice during the summer holidays and have to dodge broken glass as they do it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Sigh.....the question just isn't precise enough.

Do we mean number of participants, or time spent playing it? By globally, do we just mean absolute numbers, or are we factoring in how widely spread it is?

The answer is tennis anyway.....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Darts.

In the UK I would say there were more indivdual golfers than tennis players.
  • supersonic wrote:

Not suprising really. Have you ever tried to play tennis on your own?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    supersonic wrote:

Not suprising really. Have you ever tried to play tennis on your own?

Yes. The wall always wins.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I do a lot of things on my own, is called getting old...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's tennis. It involves less money and thus more accessible to a wider spread of people.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    supersonic wrote:
    I do a lot of things on my own, is called getting old...

<overshare> Or married. </overshare>.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,271
    Tennis and golf are games, not sport.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Manglier wrote:
    Tennis and golf are games, not sport.
    And golf is barely that.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    If you wanted your kid to be a millionaire sportsman, what sport would it be in?.

Golf must be far more popular than tennis in the US+UK. The rest of the world doesn't matter.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    I'd say, at the professional level, you can earn more money being mediocre at golf, especially on the US tour, than you could at tennis.

Yep. Golf for money every time. A mate of mine is top 250 world tennis player and probably doesn't make much more than £80k a year. Golf you could earn more for being worse and earn it for a lot longer too.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com