18mph average for Great Manchester Cycle?

13»

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    john46 wrote:
    Just got back, did the 52 in 2:52 which is way quicker than my usual pace. Agree with the other posters who rode, it was a really enjoyable event and very well organised superb value for a tenner.

i was freezing my way around Calderdale then and was thinking I could have done that Sky ride on fixed and prob.been warmer but that £10 for riding from Eastlands > Salford is what irritated me and I comute thro' those areas regularly. Were the locals/motorists not up in arms about 'road tax' and did Willhub get round or have a special diet for this ride? Glad the event is getting a good report tho' and if it makes 7000 people want to ride a bike then that's a good thing.
    M.Rushton
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    There was a recumbent and at least two tandems in the 56 - one of which was a really nice Dolan.

Worked out I came 48th out of 110 girls and 5th in my age range (which I squeezed into by the skin of my teeth due to inpending big birthday) so I'm extremely chuffed.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I finished in 2:53:41, just appeared on the last clip of granada reports as well! average was way over 18 mph! to my surprise! i well pushed it today!
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    Did the 26 in 1:37:26.

Really surprised at the pace of it. A big variety of riders which was great to see.

The bit through Salford Media City was not ideal. Generally a great success.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I set off with a group but managed to get out on my own, managed 2 hours 18 and 55 as I stopped it at the finish, so 22mph bank on my target for testing myself, although I was recorded as 2 hours 31 because rather than go through the finish I carried on down to PC World at the end of Ashton Old Rd :roll:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Pleased with my 52 miles in 2.26 and a 5th in my age group.

Apart from the first lap where the pace was slower, it was an excellent ride and on the third lap there was even an occasion when we had a large enough group to draft at 30 + mph. Had we had any rain, I am sure that there would have been a lot of horizontal bikes on the polished paved surface in Salford.

Excellent outcome from a well organised event and all for £10! Glad I managed to get in a last minute entry last Monday.
  • Managed a 2hr 55min in the end, with an average slightly less than the required 18mph but didn't really need to worry as made the 3rd lap way before the required shut off time. I was riding with someone quite new to cycling who was struggling a bit towards the end but felt i could have gone a lot faster otherwise.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and spoke to friends afterwards who took part and all had nothing but praise for the event and hope there will be one next year.
    no pain... sounds good to me
  • skippa76
    skippa76 Posts: 284
    I started pretty close to the back of the 52 mile group which initially didn't appear too bad as the roads were closed and there was plenty of room to ride. Just as I was getting a nice tempo going I arrived at the carnage around Salford Quays. The ride came to a stand still as we navigated our way through the car park and over that pedestrian bridge. That delay meant my first lap clocked 40 mins. Fortunately at the start of the second lap I managed to hook on to a group and we thumped the remaining three laps at the 35min/lap pace, so I came in at 2hrs 25mins (I did take my turn at the front so I didn't just slipstream the distance!).

Thanks to the organisers for a great event (excellent value, nice goodie bag, well marshalled) and a bigger thank you to the guys from Selby Road Cycling club for the tow :D

Will definitely do it again next year (if it's on)...

Oh, did anyone else get the wanties from the inordinate amount of fancy bikes on show? Some of that stuff was serious pro level. I'm sure some of them were "All the gear....". Or am I just an incy bit jealous??!!??
  • Hi folks. Did the 26miler and recorded 1hr 19 mins could have gone quicker if it wasn't for the technical intervention at Salford keys, couldn't understand the bizarre layout, glad the weather was warm and dry wouldn't have appreciated riding the paved sections in the wet. A great event all told though, will definateley be entering next year. Anyone have any thoughts on ways to lenghten the circuit omitting the tedious technical sections.?
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Enjoyed this yesterday! Managed 2:23 for the 52 miler. Was a good day out, didn't enjoy the "technical action" much, could have done without it bt hey ho

Did the 13 mile with my 10 year old too, which he really enjoyed. I'd say it was a great event for the money, alter the course a bit for next year and they'll be onto a winner
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Great time IC. You must have been in the top 50 with that time, thats 21.81 average i could only dream of those figures. Just imagine what your time would of been minus the obstacle course. What training did you put in to achieve those figures. Don't think i could of motivated myself to ride the 52.
  • willhub
    Great time IC. You must have been in the top 50 with that time, thats 21.81 average i could only dream of those figures. Just imagine what your time would have been minus the obstacle course. What training did you put in to achieve those figures. Don't think i could have motivated myself to ride the 52.

Depending if it was solo or in a group, in a group 21.8 average on that course is pretty easy, at the start it was straight up to 23mph average with all sorts of people in the group just getting sucked along not pushing at all.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I rode it mostly on my own, with no shelter or anyone to draft. And I had luggage on the front, to make a nice big target for the wind. :D

great-manchester-cycle.png

Oh, yeah, quite a flappy shirt too. I still look pretty pro though, eh? ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    willhub wrote:
    I set off with a group but managed to get out on my own, managed 2 hours 18 and 55 as I stopped it at the finish, so 22mph bank on my target for testing myself, although I was recorded as 2 hours 31 because rather than go through the finish I carried on down to PC World at the end of Ashton Old Rd :roll:

So you clocked 2hrs 31 then. :wink:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I cannot believe how amazing well organised this event was straight out of the box. IMO most big cycle sportive events take at least two to three years to settle down. Thinking about this event a week later still brings a big smile to my face. :lol:

I do hope that these organisers get the big (Boris) London event next year!
    :P
  • willhub
    Garz wrote:
    willhub wrote:

So you clocked 2hrs 31 then. :wink:

Their sensors did, I clocked 2 hours 18.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185487285

And the course was never 52 miles, it was less than 50.8 as you can see I was almost back to Alan Turning Way.