18mph average for Great Manchester Cycle?

I fancy taking part in the upcoming Great Manchester Cycle event and was about to proceed with the online application for the 52 mile route where i noticed it mentions: "you are required to be able to maintain a 18mph average to complete this event". I have no trouble with the distance but i'm not that sure if i can maintain that 18mph average.

Does anyone know if this is a strict rule and does anything happen if you slip below this average or is it just a recommendation to ward off those infrequent riders dressed up in a spongebob costume?
no pain... sounds good to me

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    It shouldn't be too hard, there's no stopping at junctions and no major climbs. I'm not very fast and I've managed over 18mph commuting in to Birmingham from cannock consistantly (in the summer holidays ;-))
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    I recently completed a 130 mile event with an average speed of 18.5 mph on a lightweight titanium road bike, but as this was an audax there were quicker guys on steel touring bikes with large saddlebags full of tools!

I must admit that I was also surprised at the 18 mph minimum speed.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    it's all pretty flat, the hardest climb will be the slope onto the mancuian way flyover section (it will be closed off for the event)

I wouldn't have thought there will be clipboards and stopwatches recording split times, so as long as you are reasonably fit you'll be fine. If you get yourself in a bunch and it'll be over before you know it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    To be fair to the organisers, the website clearly says "Fast and flat, a serious challenge for the experienced cyclist" and "This event is for those who cycle regularly, occasionally race or take part in sportives". Most cyclists who fit that bill would manage 52 miles at 18mph average doing loops of a very flat course (looks more like a pancake). You will get drafted by other riders which will help a lot but if you are worried then why not make up a 30 mile flat loop and see if you can do it at the right average now. If so, you should be fine on the day.
  • I think i will just have to give it a go and see what i can do. I didn't want to do the mid route as it's not worth me travelling up to Manchester to do a 26 mile ride, plus i like to do something a bit challenging. I only started getting into cycling again after a long break about 6 months ago so not the fastest yet but always improving.
    no pain... sounds good to me
  • As it's a closed road event I assume the 18mph limit ensures that the rolling road closures can be properly managed by the police (?). If you fall below this speed you'll be cycling on open roads.
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    The longer of the distances starts first so even if you are off the pace a little the 26 and 13 mile events will be starting as you are finishing. I would have thought the roads will be closed like a marathon would be.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have just been through the same dilemma, I don't really know my average speed either, and was worried about the pace being too much. I have ended up going for the 26 miler, as that has the 13mph average, as I don't want to fret too much about not completing, and I want to enjoy the day and the event. I would have rather gone for the 52 mile, but having this 'rule' in place put me off.
    The only thing is I suspect I might regret not going for it if I complete the 26 mile in good time and with energy to spare, but I can always save it for next year (presuming there is one).
    The advantage is I won't have to be on the start line until 10am (as opposed to 8am), so I can set off from home at a reasonable time.
    Here's hoping the weather isn't typically Mancunian.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    If you have quoted the ride guidelines properly the organisers are encouraging the breaking of British Cyclings 'Guidelines' for Non-Competitive On-Road and Off-Road events which state under....
    Section 4:
    Guidelines for the Organisation of Non-Competitive On Road Events. Which states that...
    4.1 General
    Non-Competitive on-road events are not races, and shall be organised simply to require that
    each participant must ride over a specified route within an agreed time. No non-competitive
    event shall be promoted which requires the participants to maintain an average riding speed
    of more than 18 mph. 'Average riding speed' means the average speed when actually riding.
    In calculating this speed all periods allowed for feed station stops must be deducted from the
    total time allowed for the scheduled distance.

Note. If the organisers are suggesting that they base their average speed on the overall distance including the time spent at the stops (if any) then the average speed when riding will obviously have to be even higher than 18mph.

BC'S Head Quarters nearby :?:
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    18 mph does sound a lot, however my assessment is that anyone who can average 15 mph in normal road conditions with a light road bike on a flattish course, however with a bit adrenalin and a medium sized peloton they should easily achieve the required speed.

As a comparison over fifty percent of the riders in last years the Caledonian Etape managed this average speed on an undulating course which included some climbs.
  • prawny
    edited April 2012
    Did the Motion in Mercia sportive yesterday with Gizmodo. He's 45 was having Chemo this time last year and hadn't ridden a bike since he was a kid before august/september time last year.
    We did 54 miles in a smidge over 3 hours 17.834862386232853211mph average on open roads, a flat route but probably a bit lumpier than the manchester one.

I think if you've ridden a bike a fair bit and don't fanny about this should be do-able. If it wasn't on a bank holiday weekend I'd have had a crack at this. I bet anyone who does have a go will be surprised how fast they can actually go in a group.

Edit: corrected for accuracy :D
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Henry Desgrange did the first one hour record in 1893 at ca. 22 mph on little more than a penny farthing, so I daresay it is possible with modern equipment and a little little bit of training
    left the forum March 2023
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Your sums don't make sense Prawny, an 18.3mph average puts a 54mile ride at less than 3 hours, unless I've read that wrong :)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Your sums don't make sense Prawny, an 18.3mph average puts a 54mile ride at less than 3 hours, unless I've read that wrong :)

Not wrong by much and could be accounted for by a feed/pee stop at Church Eaton, Prawny is probably quoting his average speed in motion not the time it took overall.
    I did the long route 94 miles in 5hrs 22mins with two feed stops and an additional big steep climb out of the Ironbridge Gorge, my computer had my average speed at just over 18mph and I missed the gold standard by 2mins! :roll:
  • prawny
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Not wrong by much and could be accounted for by a feed/pee stop at Church Eaton, Prawny is probably quoting his average speed in motion not the time it took overall.
    I did the long route 94 miles in 5hrs 22mins with two feed stops and an additional big steep climb out of the Ironbridge Gorge, my computer had my average speed at just over 18mph and I missed the gold standard by 2mins! :roll:

I'm being lazy :D

I got my official time from the ticket at the end and my average from what garmin connect told me, I never thought to check the figures, I doubted anyone would care that much :P :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    prawny wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

I got my official time from the ticket at the end and my average from what garmin connect told me, I never thought to check the figures, I doubted anyone would care that much :P :wink:

Hehe, I half-expected to be called a nerd for spotting it and I felt like one too, I blame my engineering background where accuracy of numbers is everything!
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Hehe, I half-expected to be called a nerd for spotting it and I felt like one too, I blame my engineering background where accuracy of numbers is everything!

I'm an underwriter, my eye for detail should be better, meh :P
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I was wondering about the 18mph average. I do 15mph on my commute, but that's with a rucksack and it's got a few hills, so I'm hoping it will jump up a bit without. Could be something to do with the closed-roads time limit maybe? Anyway, I entered the 52. Looking forward to it - how often do you get to cycle over the Mancunian Way? :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    On the 52 mile course you will do 4 circuits. So that should be 8 I believe (4 each way). It's quite flat route with no steep hills as far as I can see. I have never done a closed road event before so I am or cycled on a motorway so I looking forward to getting some speed up on that part.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Damn, already regretting not doing the 52 miler!
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Damn, already regretting not doing the 52 miler!

Its £10, enter again for the 52miler
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I've just seen this event, I think it looks a dazzler for a tenner!

Emailed the organising asking about possibility of entering two distance as I want to do the 52 miler but reckon my 10 year old would love the 13 miler too. Having looked at the event timetable on the website I think it's easily doable. They've got back to me and said it's fine, I just have to enter twice.

£25 for two of us to do 3 rides between us is still bloomin good price wise. I've paid far far more for closed road marathons before.

With regards the 18mph average required, I should think any regular rider would be fine. There'll be some sizeable pelotons on the day and you'll get sucked along in those and be ripping along before you know it.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    Tend to differ with you guys. 3 laps of a city centre. Surely there is more to cycling, why not go and ride on quiet roads instead of trying to race 3 laps.
    There are thousands of miles of desolate roads to be ridden all over the country. Or are the organisers in cahoots with BC and trying to say that sportives are races? It will be better to keep BC out of sportives!
  • Lucky Douglas
    Lucky Douglas Posts: 155
    I just don't get it either. Hope those who are going enjoy it but I'd rather go for a nice ride on the deserted Cheshire lanes than cycle round in circles on the mancunian way with n thousand others, even if it is cheaper than a sportive.
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    Thanks Douglas. I was beginning to think I was the odd one out.
    I am riding le terrier on the 3rd June. Others that have ridden it report virtually empty roads, no A roads, no traffic lights, stunning scenery but very tough. Rode The Fred and thought I had ridden the hardest, but maybe not.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I just don't get it either. Hope those who are going enjoy it but I'd rather go for a nice ride on the deserted Cheshire lanes than cycle round in circles on the mancunian way with n thousand others, even if it is cheaper than a sportive.

I too do like the empty cheshire lanes, but I too have signed up for this ( 52 mile ) just for something different.

Unfortunatley, and i hope i am wrong i think there maybe crashes within front of the group.

I ride with the North Cheshire Clarion, but also like riding alone.

Each to there own i suppose
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm another one who doesn't 'get it' either. But honestly hope those entering will enjoy, maybe they'll take up cycling more seriously afterwards.

This event is all about getting novices involved isn't it? I can't imagine any keen cyclists will be doing it whne there's mile after mile of quiet lanes (and hills) to discover.
  • kev77
    dodgy, disagree with you there my friend!

when there was a sky cycling event last year in manchester the serious club cyclists were out in there hundreds if not thousands.

Me thinks a majority of people who have entered the event ( 52 mile ) will treat it very serious. I think it is wrong to state " maybe they'll take up cycling more seriously afterwards "

I have cycled all over the uk and climbed numerous big hills, but does that me a novice because i fancy a monday morning social bimble around manchester?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Ok, great. I still don't get it though.

Enjoy.
  • kev77
    it is just an advert for the sport we all love, that is all

if it gets people of there backsides and out getting fit, that is a win in my eyes

;-)