Titanic

2»

Comments

• OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Given it was supposed to be women and children first I believe more first class men survived than third class women.

Not sure if its just an anecdote, or a fact.

As for youngsters in this day and age only just realising it was an actual event, rather than a work of fiction! Another sad indictment on our education system/society.

Men, First Class 33% survived, Women, Third Class 46% survived. Overall, 32% of those onboard survived.
    Yep, purely anectdotal. The ignorance of the general population is staggering, as is the lack of education & teaching standards. Teaching facts is just so old fashioned!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Given it was supposed to be women and children first I believe more first class men survived than third class women.

Not sure if its just an anecdote, or a fact.

As for youngsters in this day and age only just realising it was an actual event, rather than a work of fiction! Another sad indictment on our education system/society.

Men, First Class 33% survived, Women, Third Class 46% survived. Overall, 32% of those onboard survived.
    Yep, purely anectdotal. The ignorance of the general population is staggering, as is the lack of education & teaching standards. Teaching facts is just so old fashioned!

Thanks for clarification.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Slightly OT but not worth starting a new thread over.

The Titanic tribute act ship that set sail the other day to follow the voyage of the original and be at the sinking site for a memorial to the dead had to turn back yesterday when a passenger (BBC cameraman fwiw) suffered a heart attack. Amongst the reader comments under the story on The Telegraph site was a suggestion that hopefully he'll be ok, and that his heart will go on.

<steps back> Was hardly worth typing it out really. :(
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I was quite surprised to learn that it wasn't found until 1985!
    Every winner has scars.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The ignorance of the general population is staggering, as is the lack of education & teaching standards. Teaching facts is just so old fashioned!

Nothing to do with teaching, as the Titanic isn't on the National Curriculum. Teachers might cover this as primary school project work, but why would they bother teaching "big boat sinks, kills lots of people" in secondary school history?

You're right about the ignorance of large sections of the population though, but this is something they should learn through general knowledge rather than school.
  • Frank the tank
    HungryCol wrote:
    I was quite surprised to learn that it wasn't found until 1985!

I'm pretty sure that would be because the telegraph opperators were giving out the wrong co-ordinates for the ships position. Having the deep sea explortory equipment could be another.
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank
    johnfinch wrote:
    The ignorance of the general population is staggering, as is the lack of education & teaching standards. Teaching facts is just so old fashioned!

Nothing to do with teaching, as the Titanic isn't on the National Curriculum. Teachers might cover this as primary school project work, but why would they bother teaching "big boat sinks, kills lots of people" in secondary school history?

You're right about the ignorance of large sections of the population though, but this is something they should learn through general knowledge rather than school.

My son was taught about it in primary. As part of the project the pupils performed a play, my lad, due to his Aspergers refused to be in it because he knew it was going to sink. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:

My son was taught about it in primary. As part of the project the pupils performed a play, my lad, due to his Aspergers refused to be in it because he knew it was going to sink. :lol:

Are you sure he wasn't just scared that they might play Celine Dion?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    johnfinch wrote:

Sort im' aat Frank. He missed the chance to give Kate Winslett one!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...probably the most moving, emotional, tear-wrenching piece of writing about The Titanic ever....fact!

http://monologues.co.uk/Les_Barker/Any_News_Iceberg.htm
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Apparantly there is an author , cant remember his name who is hypothithising that the Titanic was crashed into the berg deliberatly , something to do with a large german warship in the area (was in the press about a week ago , the book is spy-something or something-spy )
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Some good conspiracy out there.

Names switched with the Olympic

German U Boats
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    The endless hypothosysing about the Titanic is rather fruitless, as someone with an interest in 19thC/early-20thC ships I'm aware that underwater damage frequently sunk the ships of the era alarmingly fast, including warships with crews who (supposedly) knew what to do in the case of flooding.

Talk about bulkheads etc is decieving, these have to be penetrated at some point, if you eliminate doors (using stair wells to go over the top of each bulkhead) you still need to pass steams, bunker grates (which tend to jam open...), drive shafts etc through - current gland designs of don't seem to have worked very well. If flooding rises high in one compartment the bulkheads also tend to open at the seams (rivetted joints.) No one seems to have made subdivision work properly i.e. to arrest rather than retard serious flooding, until the inter-war period esp. when oil firing became common. Sinking from massive underwater trauma (breaching several compartments, esp. forward) seems to have been inevitable, the rate at which flooding become critical is the at issue, Titanic seems to have done OK, no rapid capsize etc.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Peddle Up! wrote:

If it say's in your travel brocher "go to sea on a bogey" Don't, forget it mate, forget it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    DesB3rd wrote:
    The endless hypothosysing about the Titanic is rather fruitless, as someone with an interest in 19thC/early-20thC ships I'm aware that underwater damage frequently sunk the ships of the era alarmingly fast, including warships with crews who (supposedly) knew what to do in the case of flooding.

Talk about bulkheads etc is decieving, these have to be penetrated at some point, if you eliminate doors (using stair wells to go over the top of each bulkhead) you still need to pass steams, bunker grates (which tend to jam open...), drive shafts etc through - current gland designs of don't seem to have worked very well. If flooding rises high in one compartment the bulkheads also tend to open at the seams (rivetted joints.) No one seems to have made subdivision work properly i.e. to arrest rather than retard serious flooding, until the inter-war period esp. when oil firing became common. Sinking from massive underwater trauma (breaching several compartments, esp. forward) seems to have been inevitable, the rate at which flooding become critical is the at issue, Titanic seems to have done OK, no rapid capsize etc.

Apologies for going slighty OT here DesB3rd I'm not sure if your interest in ships goes as far as WWII but if it does you may be interested to read my grandfathers diaries of when he served on HMS Manxman when it was hit by torpedo. I transposed them on to blog here: http://albertpettman.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... re.html%20
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • p9uma
    LangerDan wrote:

Brilliant
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston