Loads of 10 kg bikes, expensive to get to 8.5 kg and lower !

2»

Comments

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Hang on a second, my 700 quid allez is 9 kg, so how the hell are bikes 300 quid more expensive 1 kg heavier? Im pretty sure most bikes around the £1000 mark are sub 9kg in weight.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Nickel wrote:
    Hang on a second, my 700 quid allez is 9 kg, so how the hell are bikes 300 quid more expensive 1 kg heavier? Im pretty sure most bikes around the £1000 mark are sub 9kg in weight.
    Including pedals?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Nickel wrote:

The £1600 Specialized Roubaix Compact, which is carbon, comes in at 9.2kg for the 56cm bike.

It is not all about weight.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Nickel wrote:

9.4kg, unless you're riding a small frame or they've made it heavier for this year...
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/nid188.html
  • Try Radon bIkes from germany i have just purchased a radon rps midseason very good spec 8.7kg for £640 inc delivery from h&s bike discount.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I had a Allez sport which was quoted as 9.4kg. My shops UCI scales begged to differ and said 10.1 kg.

I now have it down to 7.9 Kg, but only after new wheels, groupset, seatpost & seat and stem. Its now probablly a £2k bike based on a 'cheap' frame. But the spec is way up there with many £3k + bikes, as to get a good carbon frameset is a lot of cash! When I sell it the origonal sora kit etc will go on it and ill just buy the frame I have always wanted, then finally have my dream bike!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    RPD Steve wrote:
    I had a Allez sport which was quoted as 9.4kg. My shops UCI scales begged to differ and said 10.1 kg.

I now have it down to 7.9 Kg, but only after new wheels, groupset, seatpost & seat and stem. Its now probablly a £2k bike based on a 'cheap' frame. But the spec is way up there with many £3k + bikes, as to get a good carbon frameset is a lot of cash! When I sell it the origonal sora kit etc will go on it and ill just buy the frame I have always wanted, then finally have my dream bike!

Glad I'm not the only person who's pretty much upgraded nearly everything on their Allez! One day I'll also get that special frame. 8)
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    indysmith wrote:
    had you any chance whatsoever to try it before you purchased ?
    None at all - but I had tried a lot of different bikes before hand and had a very good idea of the sort of geometry I wanted. The Canyon fit the bill in terms of both geometry and equipment, so I risked it and I'm glad I did.

Can I ask what frame size you selected and what the top tube length is ?
    I'm 5'8" and went for the Small w/ 53.1cm top tube. I would say I'm approaching the top end of the fit bracket.
    Also worth noting: I have long legs and a short torso.