Loads of 10 kg bikes, expensive to get to 8.5 kg and lower !

Sunderland Supporter
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I sometimes browse the bigger bike sellers as they can afford to offer the better discounts. Im not a racer and real high end race orientated & aggressively designed bikes are outside my needs. A light road bike that is comfortable and less aggressively designed, bigger head tube & relaxed geometry etc etc is precisely the direction id like to go. The sellers are full of bikes for sale and coincidentally or not, arent all the bikes around the £1100 or less mark weighing in at the 10kg and above mark :( Ive seen some real nice bikes that weigh in around a nice 8.5 kg but they are either aggressive designs for racers or loaded with a £1400+ price tag.

Does the £1100 or less , relaxed road bike coming in about 8.5 kg or less exist ? 10kg for a road bike is a bit of a boat anchor unfortunately and I wouldnt hand out the cash for one.
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    £1259 gets you pretty much what your looking for by Cube
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502

Canyon Roadlite 6.0 - 8.15kg - £839

Whether you feel it's relaxed enough or not I don't know. I guess it's perhaps a little aggressive but it's there in the weight stakes!
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... 000-29719/
    A few in there come in at 8.5-9kg for under £1000, even lighter with a decent wheelset. I'm not convinced even a kilo or so off the bike (aside from the wheels) will make that much of a difference to the average rider, though. Not that that stops me from wanting a lighter bike! :lol:
  • Rigged wrote:

Whether you feel it's relaxed enough or not I don't know. I guess it's perhaps a little aggressive but it's there in the weight stakes!

Good grief, :shock: ................that is amazing, there has to be a catch
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Planet X? I'm prepared to bet they're well under 10kg.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Rigged wrote:

Good grief, :shock: ................that is amazing, there has to be a catch

... its on-line order only... you can't walk into your LBS and sit on one.

This also means you won't get the free first service and free fit that a lot of shops will throw in with a bike purchase.

Suddenly it doesn't look like such good value if those things are important to you!
  • gakko
    gakko Posts: 59
    Bike Science does free basic fitting service for Planet X, they are around 8.5kg for a SL Pro and considering that it is 'only' £999 for a bike with SRAM Rival it is a bargain hard to beat.

However geometry of the frame may not be to everyones taste
    Slowly but surely! :)
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Giant Defy 1 retails at £999 and comes in at 8.87kg, according to the BR review.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Much cheaper and far more benefit to lose 2gk in personal weight.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    £800 gets you a 9 kg boardman road comp with sram apex, £999 gets you the team with askiums 105 at 8.5 kg
    FCN 3/5/9
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I have lost 12kg since November, it makes a big difference to riding speed.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    The other "catch" is that quoted weights are lower than actual, like almost all components, so you don't really know what you've got until you weigh it.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    smidsy wrote:

:lol: Took quite a while for someone to suggest losing weight this time! Looks like there's a minor variant on Godwin's Law that applies on BR.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Not sure it counts as 'relaxed' but you can get a Cannondale caad 10 with 105 for just over £1000 at the moment. I just bought one of these myself and haven't weighed it, but I think they would probably come in under your weight limit.
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Singleton wrote:
    Not sure it counts as 'relaxed' but you can get a Cannondale caad 10 with 105 for just over £1000 at the moment. I just bought one of these myself and haven't weighed it, but I think they would probably come in under your weight limit.

+1

The stock weight is 8.3 KGS (without the pedals) which is pretty damn impressive for a aluminium bike.

It is more of a racer setup but I've messed about with my saddle a bit and pretty much got it as comfortable as I can get it :)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    :lol: Me + a 10kg bike: 100kgs, give or take.

I'm not convinced that a kilo will make a difference.

So having said that why am I buying a roadie? Oh yes. N+1. :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    smidsy wrote:

But then the bike still feels like a 10kg bike...

Most people want to do both as it lighter bikes often feel nicer.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Troll? a 10kg bike.... are you posting in the wrong section? shouldn't you be on the dark side?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    symo wrote:

That's outstanding I am hoping to lose around 7kg of excess weight and hope it improves my speed!
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    edited April 2012
    Duplicate post, moderator please delete
  • indysmith
    Re: The Canyon Roadlite 6.0
    I've had the 6.0 SL ("superlight") SRAM Apex version since the beginning of the year and cannot praise it enough.
    Incredibly light and stiff frameset, also very comfortable. It has a very short wheelbase which can feel quite "twitchy" every now and then, and there is a lot of toe overlap (not an issue at all for me, but it seems to worry some people).
    Incredible bike. Only drawback is the rather harsh and direct ride on the rough roads around here.
  • had you any chance whatsoever to try it before you purchased ?
  • indysmith
    had you any chance whatsoever to try it before you purchased ?
    None at all - but I had tried a lot of different bikes before hand and had a very good idea of the sort of geometry I wanted. The Canyon fit the bill in terms of both geometry and equipment, so I risked it and I'm glad I did.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited April 2012
    samsbike wrote:
    symo wrote:

That's outstanding I am hoping to lose around 7kg of excess weight and hope it improves my speed!

The riding you do that loses you the 7kg will improve your speed much more than the weight itself!

These "just lose weight" posts are so old hat now - seriously boring and only said by your average "smart ar$e" with nothing better to post.

That Canyon looks a very nice bike btw - very nice spec for the cash
  • indysmith wrote:
    had you any chance whatsoever to try it before you purchased ?
    None at all - but I had tried a lot of different bikes before hand and had a very good idea of the sort of geometry I wanted. The Canyon fit the bill in terms of both geometry and equipment, so I risked it and I'm glad I did.

Can I ask what frame size you selected and what the top tube length is ?
  • samsbike wrote:
    symo wrote:
    These "just lose weight" posts are so old hat now - seriously boring and only said by your average "smart ar4e" with nothing better to post.

I agree 100% with this, and as for the good old MTFU quip, thats gone way past boring too.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    You could find a 7kg bike for your money if you are prepared to go 2nd hand. You don't even have to go to Ebay either. Phone around some LBS's and ask if they have any ex demo or trade in bikes for sale. I got an Orbea Onix from an LBS that was used as a magazine tester, the shop replaced tyres,chain, bar tape and gave me a years warrenty all for £850!(retail was £1499) Not that it matters but it weighed 7.9kg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    and as for the good old MTFU quip, thats gone way past boring too.

Pfft - you've only been here five minutes. MTFU is tradition and here to stay :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    [These "just lose weight" posts are so old hat now - seriously boring and only said by your average "smart ar$e" with nothing better to post.

Fine words, I bet you're a couple of kg or so over your ideal weight. :lol::lol:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem