If you had £4000 to spend on a car for a 20k mile commute...

13»

Comments

• coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    LangerDan wrote:
    coombsfh wrote:
    I bought something...

It is German, 4 door and has 76000 miles on the clock...

Any guesses? :D

Is it a Wartburg?

wartburg+1.bmp

It has a W and B in
  • VW Beetle ?
    Simon
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    20k a year?

I'd only consider that sort of high mileage commuting on a motorcycle.

A bike's ability to filter and carve though jams removes those nightmare journeys which happen every few months and turn your usual commute into an 8hr hell.

These days I cycle to work and have done for 5 years straight. Before that however I commuted just under 20k per year for about 6 years by bike.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    I'd spend £800 on an old 1.8 Vectra and enjoy the other £3200.
  • Tony-J wrote:
    diesel Skoda if you can get one. Taxi drivers are not wrong.

What he said.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Octavia VRS diesel. Contrary to the earlier post, mine is a PD engine ( non common rail ) and also has a DPF.

You won't get a common rail VRS for your budget- unless it has been to the moon and back
  • when did skoda start doing the octavia vrs diesel? all i could find when looking a while back was the 180 petrol.

saying that the fabia vrs diesel was a great little motor, same basic lump as the pd (130bhp instead of 150) but in a body half the size.
  • carrock
    2006 onwards- so they have been around for the last 6 years. I bought mine for 11 grand with 5000 miles. Have now done 110,000 miles, and it is still worth 5 grand. And I have had it chipped up to 210bhp, and still get 47mpg
  • carrock
    CiB wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Only common rail diesels have DPF's and if you're on a long run to work then there's no need to worry. Its short journeys when the engine doesn't get up to temp that screw up a DPF.
    Can't agree sorry. DPFs are designed to last for a number of burn cycles then they need replacing. Eventually you'll need to put a new one in if you keep it beyond the mileage that corresponds to the DPF hitting its end of life; you then face a large bill. Volvo / Ford DPFs have a design life of about 80-85000 miles.

Diesels are good to drive with the torque characteristics but the cost benefit has pretty much eroded away to negligible these days.

No you dont need to put a new dpf in. Get it removed, and mapped out. I had mine removed, performance increased massively, mpg went up by 5mpg and it still passed the mot.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Skoda Diesel Estate or a VW Golf Estate (if you can find one).
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.