Puncture every time I go on a ride

boardmancomp555
boardmancomp555 Posts: 48
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
Everytime I go out on a ride about 15 miles around 55 minutes :) , I get up the next day and tyre is flat this has happened every day for the last month now :evil: , I have gone through 6 brand new inertubes. My bike is a Boardman Comp, with brand new Ritchey disk OCR 700 Rear wheel and continental touring plus winter tyre 700x28c, new inertube same spec as tyre, just come back in again and tyre is slowly going down, never had this problem when using my victoria summer tyres. I Check tyreS everytime for thorns , glass inside and out and NOTHING thier, tyre is always inflated to the correct PSI and checked everytime I go out!! The holes are very minute like a pinch,do not use tyre levers to put on tyre but do to get off, Please HELP doing my head in 1 frustrated cyclist... :evil:

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Under inflated maybe?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    So with one tyre (the Vittorias) you don't get punctures, but with the Contis you get a puncture every time?

Hmmm. If it happened with both tyres, I would have said its would be a spoke sticking into the innertube, but since it only happens with one tyre, the problem has to be with that tyre. Check again for thorns/glass etc. Sometimes the problem is a piece of the wire beading and it only becomes apparent when the tyre is inflated, so you can't feel it when you check.

Is the puncture always in the same place? When you put the tyre on, line the manufacturer's name with the valve, so that you can check where the puncture is in relation to the tyre. If the puncture is in the same place on the tyre, then that is where you should concentrate your search.

Ultimately, you may have to get a new tyre if you can't find the problem. Better to spend £25 on a new tyre than £30 in innertubes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Check tyre - is it carrying something sharp which you can't see from the outside ?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Little tiny elves* letting the air out at night?

*children
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    So with one tyre (the Vittorias) you don't get punctures, but with the Contis you get a puncture every time?

Hmmm. If it happened with both tyres, I would have said its would be a spoke sticking into the innertube, but since it only happens with one tyre, the problem has to be with that tyre. Check again for thorns/glass etc. Sometimes the problem is a piece of the wire beading and it only becomes apparent when the tyre is inflated, so you can't feel it when you check.

Is the puncture always in the same place? When you put the tyre on, line the manufacturer's name with the valve, so that you can check where the puncture is in relation to the tyre. If the puncture is in the same place on the tyre, then that is where you should concentrate your search.

Ultimately, you may have to get a new tyre if you can't find the problem. Better to spend £25 on a new tyre than £30 in innertubes.

+1 random wires are an absolute swine to find and are very small so fits with the hole described, odd it seems to attack overnight though when the tyre isn't flexing and moving, possibly scratching it enough on the ride to give a slow overnight puncture tho.

If you can isolate a specific area by carefully and consistently aligning the tyre as EKE details, you could try a layer or 2 at that part inside the tyre with duck tape to either protect the tube or realise its time to cut your losses on that tyre.
  • thanks people and yes its just the back the tyre, it has puncture resistance that wot so annoying , only had 12 weeks so fairly new so is back wheel , new bike from sept 2011 but had at least 20 very slow punctures 6 innertubes ,had no punctures in front wheel or with me vittorias in 6mths, but changed 2 contis for grip in the wet and icy road conditions and no little gremlins at nyt ! goin 2 check Tyre first thing , mark were puncture is on Tyre let u know thanks again
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Have you got the old inner tubes still? Worth comparing on each one the position on the tube of each puncture. Check particularly are they on the outer surface, side or inner surface of the tube. This will give you (us) a clue as to the cause. Should also see whether the puncture from the same place on the tyre (they don't move much when you swap the inner) or wheel.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I think you could swap the tyres front to back, this will tell you wether it's the wheel or the tyre that's at fault. If it's a slow p*ncture then it could be something too small to see. What pressure/weight is there?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You do know that inner tubes can be repaired don't you? It takes about 3 minutes all in. I've not 'gone through' 6 inner tubes in 25,000 miles.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    Rolf F wrote:
    You do know that inner tubes can be repaired don't you? It takes about 3 minutes all in. I've not 'gone through' 6 inner tubes in 25,000 miles.........

I don't understand replacing an innertube that can be repaired. My fixie is using the same innertubes that I had on my Raleigh Tomahawk in the 1980s!

• boardmancomp555
    boardmancomp555 Posts: 48
    edited April 2012
    just checked puncture in rear wheel again :evil: , hole ryt on top of tube looks like a thorn hole :idea: , checked tyre nothing in it, marked tyre and rim before takin tube out hole in different place than other repaired patches, must just b me, bad luck am 16st and trye is pumped at max 100psi, tryes r 700X28c Continental touring plus puncture resistant think they missed this 1 out with the puncture resistant,ave put front tyre on the rear wheel, goin out later 2day let u no how i get on, c if i can get a punture free ride, fingers crossed :roll: :D
  • been back out to night normal 15 miles full pelt, 7pm in the rain and wind soaked ryt through, all i needed was a puncture, never happened somethink gone ryt and i enjoyed it felt good , no one else out every one must b avin fish 4 tea,no puncture as yet and lowered tire psi to 90,so far so good , just watchin tiger woods make a tit of himself at the masters
  • rolf_f
    Continental touring plus puncture resistant think they missed this 1 out with the puncture resistant

You don't need puncture protection in a tyre not to have punctures. I've ridden many hundreds of miles on unprotected tyres without punctures as did everyone before puncture guards were invented.

Anyway, some helpful suggestions:

right
    see
    taking
    you
    know
    be
    having
    watching
    night

The forum isn't a mobile phone......
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Rolf F wrote:
    Continental touring plus puncture resistant think they missed this 1 out with the puncture resistant

You don't need puncture protection in a tyre not to have punctures. I've ridden many hundreds of miles on unprotected tyres without punctures as did everyone before puncture guards were invented.

right
    see
    taking
    you
    know
    be
    having
    watching
    night

I was about to say that, thank you. It was beginning to give me a headache reading all the txt speak, innit.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I find puncture resistant tyres are very good at trapping little sharp things between the rubber and the puncture protection layer which can make them hard to detect.
  • sorry sirs 4 the spelling mistakes GET A LIFE YE SADOS !!
  • EKE_38BPM
    sorry sirs 4 the spelling mistakes GET A LIFE YE SADOS !!
    Making spelling mistakes is one thing. A grown man writing like a 12 year old is quite another.

And "Sados" is spelt with two Ds

• rolf_f
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Making spelling mistakes is one thing. A grown man writing like a 12 year old is quite another.

To be fair, we don't know that he isn't 12 :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

boardman is a grown man :shock:

I assumed by the way he posted he was a teenager.

Actually, you're not dyslexic are you boardman. I've assumed someone was a non-native english speaker on another forum due to their incomprehensible posts and it turned out they were actually dyslexic.

txt speak may just be easier than proper english for some people.
  • EKE_38BPM
    suzyb wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

boardman is a grown man :shock:

I assumed by the way he posted he was a teenager.

Actually, you're not dyslexic are you boardman. I've assumed someone was a non-native english speaker on another forum due to their incomprehensible posts and it turned out they were actually dyslexic.

txt speak may just be easier than proper english for some people.
    From Boardman's compensation thread...
    i do cycling 4 fitness and stamina not 2 commute am 16 st been the gym most of my life am 44 years old

• u sad sad sad pricks didnt know ye had to be a smart arse to write on shitty gay cycling forum !!! FUCK U EKE get a life
  • Kendal Black Drop
    Kendal Black Drop Posts: 638
    edited April 2012
    u sad sad sad pricks didnt know ye had to be a smart ars* to write on shitty gay cycling forum !!! fark U EKE get a life

You come on here asking for advice then start slagging everyone off and calling the site a "shitty gay cycling forum".
  • who asked u for ye comment !
    put ye handbag away dick ed !
  • Rolf F wrote:

right
    see
    taking
    you
    know
    be
    having
    watching
    night

IF I WANTED A ENGLISH LESSON YE PRICK AD ASK FOR ONE YE SAD CUNT !!!!! NOW FUCK OF AND PLAY WID YE GAY FORUM,
  • Are you still here on this "shitty gay cycling forum"?
  • Are you still here on this "shitty gay cycling forum"?[

you put your hand bag away yet ! :lol:
  • Are you still here on this "shitty gay cycling forum"?[

you put your hand bag away yet ! :lol:

Grow up.
  • listen people come on forum for advise and get ripped for me spelling by one sad old man ralph :lol: must be an old school teacher geta life, not here to take shit ! found me problem any way, piece of glass buried right in tyre just popping its head out after i twisted and turned tyre inside out no more punctures i hope and no more shit of dickeds nothink else better 2 do jump on the ban wagon and correct peoples spellings :mrgreen:
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think you're completely misreading (and misrepresenting) EKE's comments. He's not calling you a liar, merely having trouble understanding how your accident happened. Perhaps if you took the time to write more clearly it'd be easier to understand.

It's almost as if I'm saying communicating clearly would help you be understood by others.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Listen people, I came onto the forum for advice and get ripped for my spelling by one sad old man ralph(no idea) :lol:Must be an old school teacher get (insert space)a life. I'm not here to take abuse! I found my problem any way, it was a piece of glass buried deep inside the tyre, just popping its head out. I found it after I twisted and turned tyre inside out. No more punctures I hope and no more abuse from dickheads with nothing else better to do than jump on the band wagon and correct people's spelling and grammatical mistakes. :mrgreen:
    FTFY
    The reason grammatical rules exist is so that you can express yourself clearly. You failed at that, which caused the confusion in the first place.
    Oh yeah. My first suggestion was to check again for glass. You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.