Andy Schleck and his power to weight ratio.........WOW !!

2»

Comments

• Kolraz wrote:
    Andy Schleck is without doubt one of my favourite cyclists. There's no denying that he isn't there with the best of them in a TT though. Although its no excuse for him, I can kind of understand his point about the favourites battling to the top of a big climb then finishing on a downhill and having that advantage wiped out from the stage completely.

He is a big favourite for this year in my opinion, but the amount of TT kms means he must be aggressive and attack on the few opportunities he gets. Maybe without Contador there we will see more of the stuff we saw on stage 18 in 2011? I sure hope so!

Tourmalet 2010 raised drama and excitement levels through the roof, I do so hope such drama can be replicated in 2012 TDF

Tourmaelt 2010 was exciting and full of drama? It was hyped up to be the greatest mountain showdown the Tour has ever seen, but what a bore fest. If sarcasm was intended there, I've obviously missed it :shock:
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    How could I work out what my power output is? Or is it done with a Garmin type device?
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    You need a powermeter houndlegs
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Kolraz wrote:
    Ah ok, thanks mate. There's not a lot of power in me anyways :D was just curious
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Holy crapola , I was doing some reading on the body physiology of Andy Schleck and what I read startled me. The guy is 6 feet 1 inch tall and his body weight is 150 lbs , thats 10 stones 10 pounds in our language ......for a guy 6 feet 1 inch :shock: :shock: :shock:

Naive question alert...

That's just under 20 BMI, what are most cyclists?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    houndlegs wrote:
    Kolraz wrote:
    Ah ok, thanks mate. There's not a lot of power in me anyways :D was just curious

You can get a rough idea if you know your speed by plugging some figures into this site: http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesPower_Page.html

For example I used it to work out that to do 25kph on a 3% uphill grade I need to put out about 280 watts. To do the same speed on a 5% gradient would be over 400 watts and on a flat road about 90 watts. In practice I can do the first one for about 5 minutes before I blow up... but then I'm 5' 7" and 75 kg. Losing weight is easier than getting that much stronger.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    team47b wrote:

20.24 for me at the mo', according to the NHS page.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    team47b wrote:

20.24 for me at the mo', according to the NHS page.

20.4 me.

and the others...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    team47b wrote:
    Holy crapola , I was doing some reading on the body physiology of Andy Schleck and what I read startled me. The guy is 6 feet 1 inch tall and his body weight is 150 lbs , thats 10 stones 10 pounds in our language ......for a guy 6 feet 1 inch :shock: :shock: :shock:

Naive question alert...

I dont think there is such a thing as 'most cyclists', in that everyone and every type of cyclist will be different. A sprinter will have a higher BMI than a climber.

What is Cav's BMI?

If we are talking amature cyclists, then I guess you'd just pick somewhere in the middle of the 'healthy' range, as typically they'd be a fit person with low body fat, and whilst they probably wont have much upper body bulk to give them a high BMI, they may well carry a bit more mass on the legs.

Personally my BMI doesn't (hasn't) go below 24, but I'm a much better sprinter than a climber. Last year my lightest was 11 stone 5lbs and I'm an optimistic 5' 8". I did ok as a 4th / 3rd Cat.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    BMI means nothing for a pro athlete as they are all muscle with incredibly low body fat.. its more tailored to the average human being.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Agree that BMI really can't apply to athletes. It's a very general correlation of weight to height but takes no account of what that weight is built of (fat or muscle) and how that mass is distributed throughout the body. I bet if you look at someone built like Dwayne Chambers (first big guy to spring to mind) his BMI would be very high, possible even above the 'normal' range but of course his body fat % is very low and he's all muscle. Cyclists have a similarly low body fat % but are incredibly light on their upper body but carry a lot of strength from the waist down. BMI can't account for these variations in build and as such is a pretty poor indicator.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    sorry couldnt resist Heres a photo I took on his wheel and Cadel Evans too. Even a fat bloke like me could keep up for the hour long ride.
    P1120922.jpg
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Pro team stats

The vast majority of cyclists have a BMI of between 20 and 22 according to that, Hushovd and Rasmussen have BMIs of over 25 and most of the climbers are between 18 and 19, so they do follow some trends i think
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Sorry just too thin

17-100714-schleck-ravitaillement.jpg
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Sorry just too thin

17-100714-schleck-ravitaillement.jpg

Hahaha my cursor just happened to fall over the B of the bag over Schleck's shoulder so I read it as 'Saxo Wank' :lol::lol: :oops: