Andy Schleck and his power to weight ratio.........WOW !!

Sunderland Supporter
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Holy crapola , I was doing some reading on the body physiology of Andy Schleck and what I read startled me. The guy is 6 feet 1 inch tall and his body weight is 150 lbs , thats 10 stones 10 pounds in our language ......for a guy 6 feet 1 inch :shock: :shock: :shock:

A rider like Schleck must be knocking on the door of 400W power output and carrying so little body mass on a bike weighing 15.86 lbs................one word, FORMIDABLE !!!!!!!!!

Discount drug cheat Alberto, I think Andy Schleck is going to be seriously hard to beat in 2012 providing he avoids injuries.
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    And this has what to do with Road Beginners?

PP
  • Where should it be then :? ,I thought it was a good talking point.
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Maybe in Pro race, or even Cake Stop :wink:

That is impressive though, I can't wait for the TDF this year :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure his physiology is fine - but he cant do downhills ? Or time trial ? And lacks the aggressiveness of some of his rivals ? And he crashes a fair bit too.

He'll still probably make the top 3 in France though.
  • andy46 wrote:
    Maybe in Pro race, or even Cake Stop :wink:

That is impressive though, I can't wait for the TDF this year :D

Me too !!

I wonder will a "clean" Alberto Contador be seen walking his bike to the top of a Cat 1 Col :roll:
  • turns out the cheating git is banned to 05.08.12 and will miss both TDF & Olympics...........serves him right imo.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    turns out the cheating git is banned to 05.08.12 and will miss both TDF & Olympics...........serves him right imo.

Keep up at the back!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Pilot Pete wrote:

Have you not seen how he rides his bike?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    cougie wrote:
    I'm sure his physiology is fine - but he cant do downhills ? Or time trial ? And lacks the aggressiveness of some of his rivals ? And he crashes a fair bit too.

He'll still probably make the top 3 in France though.

+1

He's not #1 material.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He's already won a Tour.
  • Under dissappointing circumstances. They should have banned the Sapniard before teh tour to allow a clean fight. To coin a phrase. No one likes to win by default, afterwards.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    jibberjim wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

Have you not seen how he rides his bike?

:lol:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Being retropectively reclassified isn't the same as winning. He'll always be a #2 in my eyes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    dawebbo wrote:
    Being retropectively reclassified isn't the same as winning. He'll always be a #2 in my eyes.

And, if we were being a bit critical, he's a bit number two at TTs, sprinting and descending. Goes to show what a strange race the TdF is.

Agree with the retrospective classification thing. I cannot see how it can be avoided in any sports really but the UCI takes the biscuit when they attempt to reclassify races that happened as long as 6, 7, 8 years ago. Mind you, we seem to be chatting quite happily about a tour from 2 years ago :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm baffled as to why anyone would assume that Schleck is somehow cleaner than Contador, especially given how the thread is about how amazing Schleck's W/kg is. Hmmmmm.....
    More problems but still living....
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Still comes across as a bit of a bellend as well. All that whining last year about having to do downhills.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • dawebbo wrote:

And Andy has gone on record about being livid over this :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    dawebbo wrote:

He was more aggressive in that race than anyone else and only Contador could do anything about it.
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    Andy Schleck is without doubt one of my favourite cyclists. There's no denying that he isn't there with the best of them in a TT though. Although its no excuse for him, I can kind of understand his point about the favourites battling to the top of a big climb then finishing on a downhill and having that advantage wiped out from the stage completely.

He is a big favourite for this year in my opinion, but the amount of TT kms means he must be aggressive and attack on the few opportunities he gets. Maybe without Contador there we will see more of the stuff we saw on stage 18 in 2011? I sure hope so!
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Kolraz wrote:
    ... I can kind of understand his point about the favourites battling to the top of a big climb then finishing on a downhill and having that advantage wiped out from the stage completely.

Isn't descending just as important a skill as climbing? Why should the strong descenders be punished by always having hilltop finishes? Surely the whole point of the GC is to find out who is the strongest rider over all the disciplines, hence the seperate jerseys for KOM and sprinters?
  • rick_chasey
    JamesEs wrote:
    Kolraz wrote:
    ... I can kind of understand his point about the favourites battling to the top of a big climb then finishing on a downhill and having that advantage wiped out from the stage completely.

Isn't descending just as important a skill as climbing? Why should the strong descenders be punished by always having hilltop finishes?

Because if you get it wrong going uphill, you lose time.

If you get it wrong downhill you crash & hurt yourself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You're not a champion cyclist if you cant go downhill.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "......more of the stuff we saw on stage 18 in 2011? I sure hope so!"

If he hadn't have waited until stage 18 he would have been in a better position in 2011
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Kolraz wrote:
    Andy Schleck is without doubt one of my favourite cyclists. There's no denying that he isn't there with the best of them in a TT though. Although its no excuse for him, I can kind of understand his point about the favourites battling to the top of a big climb then finishing on a downhill and having that advantage wiped out from the stage completely.

He is a big favourite for this year in my opinion, but the amount of TT kms means he must be aggressive and attack on the few opportunities he gets. Maybe without Contador there we will see more of the stuff we saw on stage 18 in 2011? I sure hope so!

Tourmalet 2010 raised drama and excitement levels through the roof, I do so hope such drama can be replicated in 2012 TDF
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can remember reading Schleck's numbers, in particular height and weight and being slightly amazed.

I'm 5'11" and 154lbs (11st, 70kg) and he is, as you correctly point out, 6'1" and 150lbs (10st10, 68kg). So he's slighter than I am and believe there ain't a great deal on me! Now I know Pro cyclists are slim, trim lads but Andy Schleck is really pushing the boundaries when he's racing weight.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    These stats are not that freaky for a pro cyclist, just where you need to be

Wiggins is 6ft 3 and 69kg!

If I ever had to fight someone in the pub, think I'd choose a cyclist and just push them over with my little finger
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Pantani was 5 ft 8 and 57 kg !!...........9 Stones :shock: :shock: :shock:

Imagine trying to keep up with him on a col.......only in your dreams ,only in your dreams
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ah yes, Pantani.

"Ahhhhhhhh, get higher baby, get higher baby, get higher baby...freebase!"
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    JamesEs wrote:
    Kolraz wrote:

Isn't descending just as important a skill as climbing? Why should the strong descenders be punished by always having hilltop finishes? Surely the whole point of the GC is to find out who is the strongest rider over all the disciplines, hence the seperate jerseys for KOM and sprinters?

Of course, all I am saying is I can sympathise with him when he isn't the best of descenders but is a world class climber. There has to be days with summit finishes to force the GC contenders to make a move. If all mountainous stages had long descents afterwards it means there's far less incentive to attack on the uphill for the favourites.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Pantani was 5 ft 8 and 57 kg !!...........9 Stones :shock: :shock: :shock:

Imagine trying to keep up with him on a col.......only in your dreams ,only in your dreams

And with an alledged haematocrit of 60% he'd be rocket fueled, literally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2FQqHF8 ... re=channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkAlb8A5B2E

What a rider indeed.