Joined Cycle Club........make right impression tips ?

Sunderland Supporter
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Finally signed up to a club and looking tips to make sure I start off on the right foot.

Ive got a nice polka dot king of the mountains jersey and have a hunch that as club rookie , it probably wouldnt be a good 1st impression maker to wear it amongst established members. Will probably dig out something a lot more understated. I understand its things like turning up for club rides with TT bars fitted ( not that I own TT bars ) singles you out badly. Various rides to choose from ranging from the beginners 15 mph avg which I know would be too slow, up to the 20mph avg riders. I can comfortably manage 18 mph avg when riding on my own and wonder if riding with a group , would sitting with 20 mph avg riders be a stretch too far as Id be mortified to be badly dropped on ride number 1 :oops: What do you think :?:

Appreciate any tips you can give me to help me gel with established long term riders and definitely make the right impression, any big no -no ` s not to fall foul of appreciated as well.
Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pffft.

Turn up in what you're comfiest in.

You might get some light banter - but it's a good conversation starter eh?

TT bars are not great for group riding whatever, club or not.

Just be honest and don't make out you're the next Eddy Merckx.

It's a good idea to bring enough food / cash / puncture repair/inner tubes.

Beyond that, just be nice and take on their advice.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Pffft.

Turn up in what you're comfiest in.

You might get some light banter - but it's a good conversation starter eh?

TT bars are not great for group riding whatever, club or not.

Just be honest and don't make out you're the next Eddy Merckx.

It's a good idea to bring enough food / cash / puncture repair/inner tubes.

Beyond that, just be nice and take on their advice.

+1

I'm sure you will find them more ameniable than you think, but perhaps ride with the easy group first, this way you get a better chance to experience group riding and the ettiquette whithout worrying about getting dropped or holding anyone up. Go early suss out the chattier members of the group beforehand and then ask their advice. Enjoy it.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Always go with the newbie/easiest/slowest group first - doesn't matter how fast you think you are, go with them, and spend the first one talking to people and learning the ropes. You need to learn to ride with a group, and then the culture of the club.

The biggest problem club rides have is people who think they're a different ability to they are, and people who simply don't know how to ride with a group. That means you go the pace of the group - which means riding steadily with them, not 50 yards off the front, looking around and discovering the gap then slowing, weaving around and then going back up to speed as the group comes together again. Riding on the front of a mixed ability group that you want to keep together is something you need to learn. How hard up a little roller, how hard down the other side, how to ride a corner, how hard into the wind, how hard with the wind behind, in a cross wind etc. How to signal the holes and other hazards without changing anything.

For example when I'm riding just over threshold on a rough road I unconciously surge as my hand returns to the handlebar after pointing out a hole, I don't even know I do it - but you can see it from the power meter, it's only a few watts different but it's enough to be very annoying to someone close to their limit on my wheel.

Your fitness will be fine for a faster group, but until you have the skills you will still be annoying to everyone else. Another great ability to have is the ability to be content with the group you have with you. And just use your excess energy on the own pace parts of the ride.

Also remember that the average doesn't say an awful lot about the intensity - a 20mph average made up of a lot of hills a bit of pootling and a bit of 28mph hammering is quite a bit different to survive to a flat very steady 20mph.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    Get out and enjoy yourself! 9 times out of 10 nobody will care what clothes or bike your wearing/riding and those who do are very sad people. They will just be happy to have another member to share their passion with, so go along have a laugh make some new friends :D and by the sounds of it 18mph on your tod should be okay for a 20mph in a group but mabye a good idea to pop to the slower one as a starter for group work as there are certain shall we say qualitys that for some are rather important. i.e. holding your line in a group so that you dont cause a crash, no tt bars as discused and doing your turn at the front if applicable. also bare in mind that the 20mph group may well have fast and slow spots so you may have to do a quicker pace section up a hill or on the flat etc. but its a brilliant learning curve, one that i enjoyed greatly and im sure you will do to!

just get out and have a good time!
    Ben
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I poped along to a new club on Saturday after only riding solo for the past year. I didn't have the best kit, whilst they all had matching club kit and top end carbon bikes... My normal loop is 25 miles at about 15-16 mph solo. I turned up on Sunday and to my horror the leader had a 100 mile ride planned!

Everyone was very welcoming and happy to have me tag along. I spent the first 15 miles sitting at the back of the pack watching how they behave and the group eticate - with the other members cycling postions so I had a chat with everyone. I then found myself thinking "This isn't too bad, I thought the pace would be faster." On looking down we were averageing 22 mph over rolling terrain - with the same or a little more effot than my 16 mph solo.

Unfortunately my ride ended a bit early when I took a fall half way in after a couple of pot-holes whilst drinking :-( Even then everyone was very helpfull about making sure I was ok and trying to get my bike on its feet again, and I wont hesitate to go strait back and join as soon an my knee heals up!

Anyway go along, if its a club worth joining they wont care to much what bike/kit/clothing you have so long as your polite, up for some banter and willing to learn. If the general feeling is snobbish then leave and dont go back - everyone needs to start and most clubs are more welcoming than they ma appear from the outside. I Thought the guys in my club were very racy and hard core but couldnt have been more helpfull.

(Zappi's in Oxford is the aformentioned club BTW)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Yes as others have said wear what is comfortable, go equiped as nothing is more annoying than a newbie with no tubes/pump/bottle. Spend a couple of weeks working your way up the groups so you get used to riding at pace in a pack, it can get quite difficult in a fast group to keep on top of all that's going on and not be a danger. Most of all enjoy it and don't be afraid to join in.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Agree with all of the above advice, BUT please please do not mention you are a Sunderland Supporter!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • martin-o-neill.jpg

Martin O`Neill = GOD
    Unashamed to admit Ive zero time for Tory , Toff, In-bred , ex Public Schoolboys who are flushing our country down the crapper.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Don't half wheel
    Don't go off the front
    Do watch how they rotate on the front (different groups do it different ways - as long as you do it their way you won't get in the way)
    Ride predictably - you'll likely have someone 6 inches off your back wheel so don't brake unpredictably, and be aware that when you get out of the seat on a climb you momentarily slow down.
    Do talk to people
    Do enjoy it :)
  • sagalout wrote:
    Don't half wheel
    :)

Half wheel ?
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    sagalout wrote:
    Don't half wheel
    :)

Half wheel ?

It's when you ride so your front wheel is overlapping with the rear wheel of the rider in front of you, rather than being directly behind.

On top of the advice given I'd say may sure you're at the club meet point a few minutes early so you can chat to people and get to know some of the other riders before you set off.
  • sagalout
    Well, don't do that either, but half wheeling is more cycling just ahead of the person beside you when you're on the front.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2009/02/half-wheel-harry/
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I alway thought half wheeling was when you ride 2 abreast and you get slightly ahead as if your showing your stronger ?
    anyway the above is frowned on.
    As a new member you will probaly not be expected to take pulls at the front but if you feel strong enough then it will certainly be appriciated but do not be suckered into the front and everyone sits on your wheel while you kill yourself at their expense......
    FCN 3/5/9
  • hamish123
    hamish123 Posts: 43
    All of the above is why i ride on my own ,but each to there own
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    hamish123 wrote:
    ^^^^ this^^^^

just me and missus, the only rule in our club is thst she has to wait for me at the top of the climbs.
  • sagalout
    The conventions are generally all there for a good reason. A club ride is not a training ride, unless you're specifically going out to do chain gangs or something. It's great rolling along in a well disciplined formation, chatting the miles away together and trusting the rider in front.
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    I think it would be far more encouraging if the club members were to post saying, "We have a new member coming along for a ride. How do we make the correct impression?"
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    xpc316e wrote:
    I think it would be far more encouraging if the club members were to post saying, "We have a new member coming along for a ride. How do we make the correct impression?"

A lot of people seem to think clubs want members, regardless of anything else, an awful lot don't, as soon as the club is big enough that everyone gets a ride of the type they want on the club runs and someone interesting to talk to. Then there's no need to make any sort of impression on people who come along, the new people can either adapt to the club ways, or find a different club, a working club culture doesn't need changing.

Clubs shouldn't, and I've never known them to be, horrible to new people, but that's different to bending over backwards to accomodate any sort of change of club culture.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    big p wrote:
    hamish123 wrote:
    ^^^^ this^^^^

just me and missus, the only rule in our club is thst she has to wait for me at the top of the climbs.

Glad I live in The Netherlands where non of this happens either! It's supposed to be fun FFS. Some British clubs sound more like synchronised swimming clubs than cycling clubs!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hamish123 wrote:

Definitely. Going out solo means that no-one gives a stuff that I have aerobars clipped on (whether I use them on that ride or not), I always take the front regardless, I take my own time and ride at the pace I want to ride at, I don't have to wait at the top of a hill for others, I don't have to kill myself going up a hill to try and keep up, I don't have anyone to "half wheel" and no-one cares if my jersey is that of a team or if I have "earned" it.
  • u05harrisb
    In all honesty i dont understand why people get worked up about bike clubs, there just like any other meet/club for anything else. nearly everybody in a club will have an open mind and enjoy the company of everybody that joins, sure theres always gonna be the odd prima donna but just let them get on with what they are doing and they will leave you alone. its just like when we were all kids joining scouts, brownies, football teams, rugby team etc... daunting at first but once you loose you inhabitions its great!

Everybody goes there to have fun and if its not your type of fun, nobodys asks you to pay for your first meet so just move on to another club. if you prefure riding solo then thats great you go do that, somtimes i like to just go out on my own and escape in the countryside but i also like to race train and the long distance comradery that you get on club rides. so each to there own as long as you enjoy it!
    Ben
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,617
    I ride in a club and solo - the two activities aren't mutually exclusive. Best of both worlds, and all that....
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    jibberjim wrote:
    xpc316e wrote:

A lot of people seem to think clubs want members, regardless of anything else, an awful lot don't, as soon as the club is big enough that everyone gets a ride of the type they want on the club runs and someone interesting to talk to. Then there's no need to make any sort of impression on people who come along, the new people can either adapt to the club ways, or find a different club, a working club culture doesn't need changing.

Clubs shouldn't, and I've never known them to be, horrible to new people, but that's different to bending over backwards to accomodate any sort of change of club culture.
    And interesting post, particularly the bolded part. Fair enough if clubs don't want members if they are happy with their structure but then they shouldn't really a) have monthly introductory runs or b) have this on their web site.
    We are of course always on the look out for new members & if you like us then sign up. However these introductory rides carry no obligations. They are just a great opportunity for you to meet our club & enjoy riding through some great countryside

I made the mistake of reading this and thought that maybe they wanted new members on Sunday just gone. They advertise a 30 mile intro run and the actual run was 42 miles. Not a massive difference for an experienced rider but considering three of the new riders (me included) had never ridden over 40 miles before this is not really on imho.

A couple of them were OK and chatty but the majority just wanted to talk amongst themselves and weren't exactly welcoming. This was summed up when I joined alongside a rider I hadn't spoken to yet. I said Hi and he asked if I was doing OK. I replied I was feeling fine considering this was the longest ride I'd ever done. His response?

"Oh we normally go much further than this. And much faster too. This is really slow today". And then he accelerated off to ride alongside another member.

Yeah, thanks.

The roadcraft (e.g. three abreast at times) and disdain for other road users was also surprising awful. I asked a member if we should go single file for a bit because we'd held up some cars on a country road for over 2 miles. He responded to say "Fcuk 'em. They can wait".

Cars that dared to get past the wide group would get coffee bean shakes in their mirror.

Very disappointing experience. Like I say, fair enough if you don't want new people but don't advertise to say that you do.
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    TKF - I read your post with the most interest. You describe the things that worry me most about joining my local club. I have seen groups of self-righteous riders as you describe, and I know I personally don't want to be a part of it, no matter how short a time for.
    I know enough people with roadies now, I think I'll just suggest we all go for a ride together.
  • u05harrisb
    TKF wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    xpc316e wrote:

And interesting post, particularly the bolded part. Fair enough if clubs don't want members if they are happy with their structure but then they shouldn't really a) have monthly introductory runs or b) have this on their web site.
    We are of course always on the look out for new members & if you like us then sign up. However these introductory rides carry no obligations. They are just a great opportunity for you to meet our club & enjoy riding through some great countryside

I made the mistake of reading this and thought that maybe they wanted new members on Sunday just gone. They advertise a 30 mile intro run and the actual run was 42 miles. Not a massive difference for an experienced rider but considering three of the new riders (me included) had never ridden over 40 miles before this is not really on imho.

A couple of them were OK and chatty but the majority just wanted to talk amongst themselves and weren't exactly welcoming. This was summed up when I joined alongside a rider I hadn't spoken to yet. I said Hi and he asked if I was doing OK. I replied I was feeling fine considering this was the longest ride I'd ever done. His response?

"Oh we normally go much further than this. And much faster too. This is really slow today". And then he accelerated off to ride alongside another member.

Yeah, thanks.

The roadcraft (e.g. three abreast at times) and disdain for other road users was also surprising awful. I asked a member if we should go single file for a bit because we'd held up some cars on a country road for over 2 miles. He responded to say "Fcuk 'em. They can wait".

Cars that dared to get past the wide group would get coffee bean shakes in their mirror.

Very disappointing experience. Like I say, fair enough if you don't want new people but don't advertise to say that you do.

I think experiences like these just depend upon clubs, from personal experience anyway. some clubs are full of racers which go fast and long, some are full off older retired people that rider "relativly slow" and somtimes far somtimes no and some are a big mixture and the rides reflect that i think. from my club, velo club rutland , we have 2 fast 30-50mph chain gangs, 2 crit local town race style things a week, a 20-30 mile beginers/intermidiate ride, and a 50-60 mile intermidiate ride where people have the opertunity on most rides to head off at about the 45-55 mark and make it into 75+ if they so wanted in addition tothe ability to go off the front and then meet back up for some sections. so mabye its just a case of finding the ride club for you. i would assume if you find a clubs site full of race stuff then probably they are race orintated if not then mabye they are more chilled out? the attitude from the riders in the above quote is the typical elitist racer type of person who the world owes and unfortunatly they will be in most clubs, you just need to find one with out as many haha. if any of you guys are around rutland any time soon come down and take a look and ride with us!
    Ben
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    [/quote]from my club, velo club rutland , we have 2 fast 30-50mph chain gangs,us![/quote]

:lol:
  • u05harrisb
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    from my club, velo club rutland , we have 2 fast 30-50mph chain gangs,us![/quote]

:lol:[/quote]
    :oops: hahahaha
  • sagalout
    I ride in a club and solo - the two activities aren't mutually exclusive. Best of both worlds, and all that....

Exactly. I always do actual training rides solo, then just enjoy a group ride for what it is.

If you don't have a few rules and common understanding it can be unsafe chaos with 20+ riders. A few years back everyone would just know this stuff anyway, as you would, usually as a young lad, be ingratiated into club riding by the older hands. With the influx of new cyclists (which is great) people are coming into it at at very different levels and expectations. Its a club, where things are generally done in a certain way, the same as any other club. You wouldn't join a golf club and start making up your own rules, or join the local football team and just play all over the pitch.

Clubs are just groups of generally like minded people - they aren't there to offer you a service or experience or pander to your whims.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have no problem with either solo lone wolves or clubs, after all it's a free country and we decide what is best for us based on experience. I like to train solo through the week and on a sunday socialise with my club.

The one thing that really does pi55 me off is people who slag off clubs as snobby, cliquey, full of power crazy idiots and then rock up to club 10's, thursday chaingangs, hill climbs and sportives run by said clubs.
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    sagalout wrote:
    Clubs are just groups of generally like minded people - they aren't there to offer you a service or experience or pander to your whims.
    :roll:

Nobody is asking to be pandered to. Just being civil and not patronising might be nice. Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sorry we don't know your rules yet.

As earlier stated if you don't want new members then why would you post this on your website...
    We all have to start somewhere. We remember how daunting it seemed all those years ago. Cycling is great fun. We want to help you realise that. Oh and also we want more people to ride and race with, more people to go down the pub with, more people to crack jokes with, more people to share lifts to events with and more people to help with our promotions.
    ...and then not bother even acknowledging the new guys on the ride?