How much is he pushing...

2»

Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Chris Hoy though is different - he only generates the power for very short spells.

Whereas Harry Potter can do it for very long spells.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Alcohol induced error and certainty. Anyway, Sir Chris is a wimp. I regularly do 10 reps of 700kg.*

*This may or may not be a complete lie. Actually, it is a complete lie.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Well, had a quick go at the gym this lunchtime. Stuck 200kg on and managed a couple of one legged reps with each leg - very wobbly though. I guess with the added stability of two legs I might be able to push a bit over 400kg but still way off Hoy :(
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    BigMat wrote:
    Well, had a quick go at the gym this lunchtime. Stuck 200kg on and managed a couple of one legged reps with each leg - very wobbly though. I guess with the added stability of two legs I might be able to push a bit over 400kg but still way off Hoy :(
    Ahhh...that might explain why you're not called Sir BigMat and don't have a bucketful of Olympic medals* :lol:

*Although you may well be and do in fact have. Shouldn't be presumptious!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Chris Hoy though is different - he only generates the power for very short spells.
    There's an interesting bit in his auto-biography where he's describing riding the Etape. He talks about poeple's perceptions that Mark Cavendish is a sprinter. The point he makes is that Mark Cavendish is an endurance athlete with a great sprint finish. Sir Chris and his peers are sprint athletes, full stop. Think Usain Bolt vs. Haile Gebrselassie.

Anyway, for cyclists its about the duration you can generate power for. Hoy is somewhere over 2kw for very short bursts, which is why he's a top sprinter. Pro climbers will be somewhere around 400w but for hours...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    There's an interesting bit in his auto-biography where he's describing riding the Etape. He talks about poeple's perceptions that Mark Cavendish is a sprinter. The point he makes is that Mark Cavendish is an endurance athlete with a great sprint finish. Sir Chris and his peers are sprint athletes, full stop. Think Usain Bolt vs. Haile Gebrselassie.

Anyway, for cyclists its about the duration you can generate power for. Hoy is somewhere over 2kw for very short bursts, which is why he's a top sprinter. Pro climbers will be somewhere around 400w but for hours...

I'm not quite 400w for very short bursts... :oops:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Although for a lot of amateur UK racing 1 minute and 5 minute power will get you further than maybe having a massive 60 min ftp.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    okgo wrote:
    Pistonheads is a lot less liberal than here. It's why I like it.
    Have you been here long enough to enjoy one of our RLJ threads? ;)