asprilla Posts: 8,440
    613kg if I remember rightly.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's not - when this came up over on pro-race a while back it was something like 600 odd kg?
  • rick_chasey
    It's not - when this came up over on pro-race a while back it was something like 600 odd kg?

http://roadcyclinguk.com/blogs/weight-t ... -2012.html

He does 5 reps of 631kg....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I had the right numbers, just the wrong order: 631kg.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    Asprilla wrote:
    I had the right numbers, just the wrong order: 631kg.

i was saying it's not to the (is it locked) thing :).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Power! I usually do around 3 sets of 200kg, run out of weights after that (and don't have a mate handy to sit on the top!). Will see if I can do that with one leg, get an idea how close I could get to 600kg for a couple of reps.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    There was a story (possibly apocryphal or just another an internet meme) from a few years ago that described how the Australian track coach was using film of Hoy as a spur to push his team harder. The clip contained footage of Hoy riding at the limit, collapsing, and then retching at the side of the track after a beast of a training session...

I am dissapoint when I don't see more aspirant SCRers vomiting at Chelsea Bridge lights in pursuit of such ideals...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BigMat wrote:
    Power! .

Oooh god, don't let the guys from the Road section hear you use that word in relation to that picture! :wink:

I've had no end of trouble in discussions about power & strength but, to be fair, in relation to "endurance cycling" - and some of the discussions make the helmet debates look tame
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Origamist wrote:
    There was a story (possibly apocryphal or just another an internet meme) from a few years ago that described how the Australian track coach was using film of Hoy as a spur to push his team harder. The clip contained footage of Hoy riding at the limit, collapsing, and then retching at the side of the track after a beast of a training session...
    6903918803_5075abe2d0.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    My bones would probably snap if I tried to do that.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

...but to be fair, you probably look better in red trousers....
  • rick_chasey
    PBo wrote:

...but to be fair, you probably look better in red trousers....

Always an up side. :D
  • bompington
    red-aqua-500x500.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bompington wrote:
    Origamist wrote:
    6903918803_5075abe2d0.jpg
    Thats a good idea actually, I might put a little mat by the side of the road at the end of the Queen's Ride/Bolan Bridge segment.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Its a lot, but at any decent gym you'll find a few people more than capable of it.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bompington
    okgo wrote:
    Its a lot, but at any decent gym you'll find a few people more than capable of it.
    The basic point of the discussions mentioned above was that absolute strength is only of limited use to a cyclist, even a track sprinter - you need it to accelerate hard from standstill, but once you're moving at any speed, it's power that counts, and that's a very different thing.

I could push over 200kg on each leg as a schoolboy rugby player, which would probably snap me these days, but I'll bet that my power output on a bike is more now than it was then.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I dunno, 630kg is an awful lot. I'm generally one of the stronger legged people I see in the gym (I don't really tend to do much "strength" work as my legs are prone to get ridiculously large from minimal training) and I doubt I could get anywhere near that. If there are people floating around with legs twice as strong as mine, I have never spotted them!
  • okgo
    Obviously it depends on your gym.

But there are a fair few guys in mine that would do this (or have) but obviously the excersise is almost a total waste of time if you have access to a squat rack so not many bother.

bompington - what is the difference between power and strength? I see what you're saying, but I think being stronger will give you more power?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I really can't see the point and if I tried to push that much I'd just sh*t my brain out my arse.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bompington
    okgo wrote:
    what is the difference between power and strength? I see what you're saying, but I think being stronger will give you more power?
    Power is strength at speed. Think of it this way - how much force can you put on the pedals when you're just setting off, compared to when you're going at a cadence of 100?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I might get an olympics ring tattoo.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I might get an olympics ring tattoo.
    Tramp stamp?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    get on your bike.

literally. I'm leaving now.

want some easy scalps.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bompington wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    what is the difference between power and strength? I see what you're saying, but I think being stronger will give you more power?
    Power is strength at speed. Think of it this way - how much force can you put on the pedals when you're just setting off, compared to when you're going at a cadence of 100?

Sounds like you're getting close to describing torque.
    Power is being able to stamp hard on the pedals from a standing start, but torque is being able to keep accelerating at 100 rpm+.

Think of the film The Incredibles.
    In this clip, Dash is punching a henchman repeatedly, but with not much behind each punch, so the henchman is not dazed and can fight back. I think I'm right in saying its a relatively high torque, but low power attack.
    But a steam train delivers massive power with each 'chuff', but there is only a 'chuff' every second or so at start up. Its like a boxer who has a massive haymaker, but can only deliver three punches a round.
    Get the balance between power and torque right and you get to advertise Gillette Pro Glide as well as leg press your coach and a few of his favourite big lumps of metal.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    That's ridiculous. I used to be able to do 5x300kg or so but I couldn't imagine getting near that kind of weight.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • bompington
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Sounds like you're getting close to describing torque.
    Power is being able to stamp hard on the pedals from a standing start, but torque is being able to keep accelerating at 100 rpm+.
    No, torque (look at the animation on the right, for some strange reason ;-) I can't embed it here) is just force that turns something around an axle.
    You've actually got it completely the wrong way round, because torque is the force that turns the pedals - and imagine a standing start with the brakes on: you might be able to generate a lot of force on the pedals, i.e. torque, or strength, but if you aren't moving you are generating zero power.
    Most of us are familiar with torque & power in car engines - my diesel Skoda, like most diesels, has high torque but relatively low power: the high torque means that it can pull a caravan easily, and accelerate scarily fast - but as the revs increase, it is not capable of keeping up the same torque - which would require greater power.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - Bompington has it right

The two are inextricably linked - basically

power = torque x RPM

You can increase power either by applying more torque or more RPM

The problem with diesels is that the the physics of the combustion mean the rpm is limited. In a petrol engine you can advance the spark to optimise the timing of combustion.

Anyhow, the purists will argue that "strength" is the maximal force applied which, by definition, is stationary and therefore doesn't mean anything to power (ie no RPM). The argument continues that you apply nothing even close to this force in "endurance" cycling so "strength" has no relation to power in this type of cycling. Power in these circumstances is limited by aerobic fitness. Chris Hoy though is different - he only generates the power for very short spells.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Have I inadvertently wandered into Pistonheads?
  • rick_chasey
    kelsen wrote:
    Have I inadvertently wandered into Pistonheads?

Can you see a hundred page thread on take me out?
  • okgo
    Pistonheads is a lot less liberal than here. It's why I like it.