BBC news yesterday. Steph McGovern

2»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I do find some of the BBC news complaints to be a little poe faced. Back in the 90s BBC News was BORING, dry, emotionless and fuddy-duddy the type of fuddy-duddy you'd associate with 1970-80s no sex please we're British Conservitism.

Personally I find the current format human, natural and while not as cheap as Daybreak still quite serious. Or serious enough. Sheesh.
    Lowest common denominator. I rest my case. ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I do find some of the BBC news complaints to be a little poe faced. Back in the 90s BBC News was BORING, dry, emotionless and fuddy-duddy the type of fuddy-duddy you'd associate with 1970-80s no sex please we're British Conservitism.

Personally I find the current format human, natural and while not as cheap as Daybreak still quite serious. Or serious enough. Sheesh.

Some days it's fine, but some days, I think the producers have a few too many coffees. The item on the shoe museum in Northampton was a case in point. Interesting enough, without being too serious, but did we really need to go round to some random woman's house to see whether she really did have as many shoes as she claimed? And then the 'gag' about Bill wearing heels and Whatsername wearing sensible lace-ups: I think that deserves one of these :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well, Breakfast isn't just a news programme. It's a bit of news, and a bit of "magazine" fluff. The actual news parts are presented seriously enough, I reckon.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Well I reckon the beeb should be on a half hour loop of grownup news and watched by people getting ready to leave for work. The ITV lot are playing to a different more casual audience who require more variety as they're more likely to watch all morning until the real HRTV kicks in. Steph would be one of my women you would but shouldn't though.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    You chaps get time to watch the news in the morning? Do you go home for lunch, too? :P

One day someone will sit you down and explain the concept of work/life balance to you. :lol:

Paging JG. JG to the thread...

It's all gone a bit nuts again, but I spoke to a mate this morning who's in a similar role to mine. He made me feel quite thankful.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    You chaps get time to watch the news in the morning? Do you go home for lunch, too? :P

One day someone will sit you down and explain the concept of work/life balance to you. :lol:

It's all gone a bit nuts again, but I spoke to a mate this morning who's in a similar role to mine. He made me feel quite thankful.

Yes, I seem to recall some of your posts about riding home in the middle of the night. That way lies meltdown.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yes, I seem to recall some of your posts about riding home in the middle of the night. That way lies meltdown.

I have a feeling that's nothing to likes of Vermin, W1, G66, Clarkey Cat and JG.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    not me, CJ, I'm a famous work-dodger.

Delegate. Delegate. Delegate.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I have a feeling that's nothing to likes of Vermin, W1, G66, Clarkey Cat and JG.
    Haven't you slept at work before? DUDE! That's just not on.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Haven't you slept at work before? DUDE! That's just not on.

You've not lived until you've done sunrise, sunset and sunrise again in the same office before going home for a shower and being back in not long after.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    You've not lived until you've done sunrise, sunset and sunrise again in the same office before going home for a shower and being back in not long after.
    LOL. This reminds me of the time when a guy said something similar about doing a 12hr shift in McDonalds. I did it, I didn't feel any wiser, hardcore or lived.

Unless I'm being paid a packet and/or it was my own company I doubt there would be anything intrinsic in value from working that much.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I once did a 36 hour shift at work then went discoing with some chums, & fell asleep in said disco. Does that count?
  • cyclingprop
    There is something to be said for achieving something. And we achieved something big in a short space of time.
  • DonDaddyD
    There is something to be said for achieving something. And we achieved something big in a short space of time.
    I'm sure. And there are some professions that demand that level of dedication and some that that programme staff into believing "that that is what you have to do to get ahead and stay ahead" and that that is somehow the best way to live life.

There are other choices in life and value and achievement found in other things, other jobs that demand far less of your time and life. May mean you have to earn less though.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cyclingprop
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm sure. And there are some professions that demand that level of dedication and some that that programme staff into believing "that that is what you have to do to get ahead and stay ahead" and that that is somehow the best way to live life.

There are other choices in life and value and achievement found in other things, other jobs that demand far less of your time and life. May mean you have to earn less though.

Is that why you seem to have dropped out of the Strava thread? 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Done it

5 days in a row

Cost me 4 months off work, a nervous breakdown, depression and ultimately a marriage.

Some would say the work / life balance was slightly skewed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat

Are you a closer?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's all about the work / life balance people.

I leave the house at 7.30 and I'm home at 5.30 almost every single work day; this is my achievement and it makes me very happy.

I started my career as a process writer, qualified six sigma and now at as BA / scrum master / product owner for agile development teams. I'm firmly of the belief that if you can't achieve what you need to in 8 hours then it means the process around you is broken and needs fixing. Obviously there will be exceptional circumstances, but these are exceptions and should not be the norm. Tiredness and haste lead to errors and you end up investing more time / effort in finding and correction than you would have spent easing the burden and so increasing quality in the first place.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    I agree with all the above Asprilla.

But we charge by the hour...
  • asprilla
    I agree with all the above Asprilla.

But we charge by the hour...

See, that's probably the biggest difference; I charge by the day with a minimum of 8 hours constituting a day and any additional hours over that do not constitute additional days or parts thereof.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    my long hours are counted towards a performance bonus that equates, all told, to about the minimum wage.

that sounds quite churlish... although, I'd be quite happy to give up the hours, and the performance bonus for someone to do those additional hours (which is mostly paper shuffling anyway) at the minimum wage.

Processes, see.

Asprilla - can you do a spreadsheet please to present to my boss.
  • cyclingprop
    Are you a closer?

More a fixer than a closer (though I'm not really sure what you mean by a closer?!).
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's all about the work / life balance people.

I leave the house at 7.30 and I'm home at 5.30 almost every single work day; this is my achievement and it makes me very happy.

I started my career as a process writer, qualified six sigma and now at as BA / scrum master / product owner for agile development teams. I'm firmly of the belief that if you can't achieve what you need to in 8 hours then it means the process around you is broken and needs fixing. Obviously there will be exceptional circumstances, but these are exceptions and should not be the norm. Tiredness and haste lead to errors and you end up investing more time / effort in finding and correction than you would have spent easing the burden and so increasing quality in the first place.

The example I was referring to, was definitely a broken process situation. Hard deadline imposed by a third party. We were in to make sure the client was able to meet the deadline. The process changed post that deadline anyway, so definitely an exception.

The last couple of years I've been pretty much 9 - 5.30 ish for a different client. But I don't mind something short and high-adrenaline every now and again. I went for project based consulting work because I find the change, challenge and dynamic interesting. I like the way I can be on a tech job one week then get drafted in to a process 'help help we're in a mess' turn around effort the next.

Work life balance is important to me - but I definitely have to consider that I've got around 72930 hours of work left. I want to enjoy it, and feel that I achieve things - at the moment a 'bau' type office job is absolutely not right for me.
  • DonDaddyD
    my long hours are counted towards a performance bonus that equates, all told, to about the minimum wage.

£6.08? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10027201

So 36hrs overtime x £6.08 = £218.

Fair do's, I don't get a bonus.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    That's per year DDD. I don't get a bonus for a busy week. I need to have a busy year.

I leave the house at 7.30am and generally get home about 7.30 / 8pm on a very good day. Tends to be much later usually. If I'm busy and I'm out by 6.30am then I can go for a whole week without seeing my son.

Boo-hoo. :(

He looks up to me though... working for the Man. My grey face. My sunday night nausea. My thousand yard stare.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla - can you do a spreadsheet please to present to my boss.

I asked about doing one at A&O when I was there but apparently the info was commercially sensitive. I wasn't arsed about following it up as it was only out of interest.

Worst thing for lawyers is that all the make work extra hours are then discounted anyway by the partners keeping clients happy. So you have to meet an arbitrary billable hours target which leaves you overworked and tired and then the client isn't billed for them anyway.

You couldn't properly assess it as no-one is going to admit their work doesn't add value and you'd need to be a lawyer to understand whether it did or didn't and no-one is going to tell you how much they discount their clients.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    You do know it's just a job?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Maybe it's the type of work I do, but as well as echoing Asprilla's comment - if the job can't be done on a 40 hour week, then it either needs more manpower, or doing a different way - I'd also say there is a marked drop off in the quality of work one can produce much beyond an 8 hour day. Jobs that 'require' silly hours are really just the bosses exploiting the employees work ethic to improve the bottom line.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    rjsterry wrote:
    Maybe it's the type of work I do, but as well as echoing Asprilla's comment - if the job can't be done on a 40 hour week, then it either needs more manpower, or doing a different way

Or spend less time on t'internet during work hours
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • clarkey cat
    Or spend less time on t'internet during work hours

BURN HIM!!!!