BBC news yesterday. Steph McGovern

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I was sweetly surprised yesterday by BBC News' impromptu Irish dancing performed by Steph McGovern.

A change from the doom and gloom of the business reports. Did anyone else see it (Live, I did), thoughts?

It got uncomfortable towards the end as it seemed they wanted her to stop when they started talking and she went on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17582665

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/steph-mcgo ... bbc-779378

Still t'was nice.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641

>

cake stop
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was sweetly surprised yesterday by BBC News' impromptu Irish dancing performed by Steph McGovern.

A change from the doom and gloom of the business reports. Did anyone else see it (Live, I did), thoughts?

It got uncomfortable towards the end as it seemed they wanted her to stop when they started talking and she went on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/17582665

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/steph-mcgo ... bbc-779378

Still t'was nice.

You just enjoyed it for the jigglybounce.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    There was a time, long ago, when BBC Breakfast News had credibility. I think it was Kaplinsky that heralded the dumbing down. Now its all "Bill Turnbull" and riverdance.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    There was a time, long ago, when BBC Breakfast News had credibility. I think it was Kaplinsky that heralded the dumbing down. Now its all "Bill Turnbull" and riverdance.

I remember as a kid bbc breakfast news was all pretty serious - especially during the Kosovo crisis.
  • clarkey cat
    Steph McGovern represents all that is wrong with northerners.

I keep imagining she's going to spark up and go on a sweary rant about how much she fooking loves meat and potato pies.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    notsoblue wrote:

True. The business news was one of the last bastions of proper news, but even that now seems to be going the way of ITV. Granted it needs a lighter feel than, say, Newsnight, but it'd be nice if it wasn't quite so giggly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    True. The business news was one of the last bastions of proper news, but even that now seems to be going the way of ITV. Granted it needs a lighter feel than, say, Newsnight, but it'd be nice if it wasn't quite so giggly.
    Its like someone acting out stories from the Metro now. Turnbull makes me think of an aged Michael Gove doing the CBeebies edition of Newsround.
    I remember as a kid bbc breakfast news was all pretty serious - especially during the Kosovo crisis.
    Yeah, I remember it being a bit more like the Today programme. I'm not sure why they felt they needed to emulate GMTV, badly.

Bah humbug.
  • rick_chasey
    Who the hell is that awful little old man who's on it?

Christ he's terrible.

His voice is the equivalent of a really runny sh!t, albeit with lumps in.

That old woman with him was just as bad.

Also - where's the desk?

Come on people. Even the local news has a desk.

Give me the news that happened while I was asleep.

Is it that tough?

I don't want to see some kid who got 2As and a B at A level after he was predicted 3 Cs and his mum knows the producer, nor do I want "hot issue" topics that bare no relation to actual current events.

*sighs*

I'll stick to family guy in the morning.
  • notsoblue

Christ he's terrible.

BBC%20Breakfast.jpg

Bill Turnbull.
  • clarkey cat
    sometimes I flick over to GMTV so I can watch some breaking exclusive about how Demi Moore has just taken a dump
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:

Christ he's terrible.

BBC%20Breakfast.jpg

Bill Turnbull.

God.

He's even got the name you'd associate with a bell-end in a Harry Potter novel.

Awful, awful awful.
  • rjsterry

Christ he's terrible.

His voice is the equivalent of a really runny sh!t, albeit with lumps in.

That old woman with him was just as bad.

Also - where's the desk?

Come on people. Even the local news has a desk.

Give me the news that happened while I was asleep.

Is it that tough?

I don't want to see some kid who got 2As and a B at A level after he was predicted 3 Cs and his mum knows the producer, nor do I want "hot issue" topics that bare no relation to actual current events.

*sighs*

I'll stick to family guy in the morning.

Wow. A bit pent up there aren't we. I doubt the presenters get much say in the way the programme has gone - that'll be people higher up.

BTW, Sian Williams is in her late 40s. I realise that's twice your age, but it hardly counts as old.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You chaps get time to watch the news in the morning? Do you go home for lunch, too? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    You chaps get time to watch the news in the morning? Do you go home for lunch, too? :P

I watch while I eat breakfast, which takes a while (slow eater + lots of it). Also, like to grab the local travel news.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    You chaps get time to watch the news in the morning?

No, but I always get chance to catch up on the latests happenings in Greendale and Sunflower Valley before I head off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:

BBC breakfast is finished by the time you're up isn't it? :P
  • rjsterry
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

No, but I always get chance to catch up on the latests happenings in Greendale and Sunflower Valley before I head off.

Heh. Not sure what the Rev W. Awdry would make of what they've done to Thomas, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I watch while I eat breakfast, which takes a while (slow eater + lots of it). Also, like to grab the local travel news.

Yes, I forgotten that you like to get into work at the crack of 10.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yes, I forgotten that you like to get into work at the crack of 10.

And I seem to remember you're on the road long before me in the evenings, so nuh.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Heh. Not sure what the Rev W. Awdry would make of what they've done to Thomas, though.

Now there is a name you don't hear too often. He lived in the village down in Wiltshire where my parents now live. The local microbrewery named an ale after him, and they also make a stronger more aptly names "Tunnel Vision" (Bit OT I know)
  • rjsterry
    Was raised on his books (dad is a bit of a railway fan), and managed to pick up four of the original versions in a second hand bookshop last year. The writing and illustration is just streets ahead of the revamped stuff. The littl'un couldn't care less of course.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_ribble
    I'm a bit of a train fan, especially the engineering side. The village where he lived is called Box, and the GWR goes through. Brunel built a mighty fine tunnel through the hillside and its in a dead straight line, so that if you stand at one end you can see the sun rise at the other on the day of his birthday. This is a hotly debated topic mind you, as some boffs say that he failed to take into account the curvature of the earth. Of course now if you tried it you would get smacked in the face by 500 tonnes of metal travelling at 125mph.

The tunnel was used as an underground bunker in WW2, and was the place that Churchill would have been taken if things got too hot in London.

Anyway, im with CJ on this one. No time for breakfast TV in the morning. I'm up and out in 20 mins so its the wireless for me.
  • rjsterry
    I know Box, well, Box Hill to be precise. Helped put up a marquee on top of the hill for a dead-pig-and-a-jig many years ago. One year we got a guided tour of the caves for our troubles. Scary how thin the roof is on some of them. Quite a fan of Brunel too (growing up near Bristol, with a rail enthusiast father, this was pretty much obligatory).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

One day someone will sit you down and explain the concept of work/life balance to you. :lol:
  • mr_ribble
    rjsterry wrote:
    I know Box, well, Box Hill to be precise. Helped put up a marquee on top of the hill for a dead-pig-and-a-jig many years ago. One year we got a guided tour of the caves for our troubles. Scary how thin the roof is on some of them. Quite a fan of Brunel too (growing up near Bristol, with a rail enthusiast father, this was pretty much obligatory).

So that would have been somewhere near the Quarryman's Arms Pub then? Folks live just over the fields, I sometimes wander over to the pub when I'm home. A few years ago you could access those same caves (formed through mining of the Bath Stone) from an inlet near our house. But then the council blocked it up because the caves are home to a special species of horseshoe bat.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I like Breakfast. TBH, I'm not after heavy news or analysis first thing. Could be worse; could be Sky - or Fox. *shudder*
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very good effort, she's not my cup of tea, but that was impressive!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So that would have been somewhere near the Quarryman's Arms Pub then? Folks live just over the fields, I sometimes wander over to the pub when I'm home. A few years ago you could access those same caves (formed through mining of the Bath Stone) from an inlet near our house. But then the council blocked it up because the caves are home to a special species of horseshoe bat.

Couldn't say for sure. It was something to do with the Box Hillbillies if that rings any bells. This would have been about 1994 IIRC.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_ribble
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Couldn't say for sure. It was something to do with the Box Hillbillies if that rings any bells. This would have been about 1994 IIRC.

Oh I wasnt even born then
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I do find some of the BBC news complaints to be a little poe faced. Back in the 90s BBC News was BORING, dry, emotionless and fuddy-duddy the type of fuddy-duddy you'd associate with 1970-80s no sex please we're British Conservitism.

Personally I find the current format human, natural and while not as cheap as Daybreak still quite serious. Or serious enough. Sheesh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game