OT: Belgian Beer

Comments

• The Abbot 12 is in my top 5 too
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    As to the Gin Bar, it is open (if you're referring to the lavishly decorated Gin and Absinthe joint in Gent)... But Mrs Goat must never know of it.[/quote]

The very same, last time I was there it was closed...though you could see mein host asleep on the sofa if you peered through the window. Watch out for the Cardiff cabbie next time you're there.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Nice one EKIMIKE. The Tripel is one of my favourites. I hope to be going soon to fill the car and cupboard. Mrs BBGEEK is cool because she has discovered Liefmans Kriek and is addicted.

Same!
    The Abbot 12 is in my top 5 too

Go on then...

I can't say I have a top five (or any number for that matter) but the Abbot 12 has to be up there amongst my favourites. Strangely I prefer Trappistes Rochefort 8 to the 10. I love Tripel Karmeliet too. I'm looking to broaden my horizons now, having got to know the popular classics. Rodenbach Grand Cru was a revelation on my last trip, but wasn't too fussed over Saison Dupont or Boon Gueuze although I know they're not even the tip of the iceberg for those styles.

Always looking for recommendations :)
  • FJS wrote:
    The cobble season is almost there, De Omloop next weekend, and I saw this beer advertised on Belgian websites:
    Kwaremontbier.jpg

I'd never seen it, but now that would be suitable bier for the classics. Doubt it's available in the UK

The advertising campaign and website rather milk the cycling connection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6grAMK ... ata_player
    http://www.kwaremontbier.be/

'Gebrouwen voor kopmannen' - Brewed for team leaders
    If you go to the bar in Kwaermont village you can have it in a branded tulip glass. Perfect for a bright spring day watching the bike race go past on the cobbles outside.

RvV11_08.jpg~original
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    FJS wrote:
    The cobble season is almost there, De Omloop next weekend, and I saw this beer advertised on Belgian websites:
    Kwaremontbier.jpg

I'd never seen it, but now that would be suitable bier for the classics. Doubt it's available in the UK

The advertising campaign and website rather milk the cycling connection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6grAMK ... ata_player
    http://www.kwaremontbier.be/

'Gebrouwen voor kopmannen' - Brewed for team leaders
    If you go to the bar in Kwaermont village you can have it in a branded tulip glass. Perfect for a bright spring day watching the bike race go past on the cobbles outside.

RvV11_08.jpg~original

I need to go to this place!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I think I will always remember going to watch RVV and walking up the Kwaremont to then down a Kwaremont beer in the Kwaremont bar situated on the Kwaremont climb itself. Has to be done.
  • andyrr wrote:
    I think I will always remember going to watch RVV and walking up the Kwaremont to then down a Kwaremont beer in the Kwaremont bar situated on the Kwaremont climb itself. Has to be done.

Bar at the top of the climb on the right? Outstanding location
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Anyone Know any places to get some Belgium beers around the Sutton area? I know Half and Half in Croydon sells some but I'm new to the Sutton Area and need a supply!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I'm amazed no-one has posted about Kwak. I initially tried for the quirky glass / stand combo but the beer is actually very good indeed

kwak.jpg
  • Tonights selection from my 5 Euro beer club (Carrefour)

Omer
    Chouffe McChouffe
    Corsendank Pater
    Gentse Strop

Thank god my bike is arriving tomorrow!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • There's nothing better than kicking back with a nice, cold pint of Stella after a busy day at work.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    There's nothing better than kicking back with a nice, cold pint of Stella after a busy day at work.

I think you're on the wrong thread - or trolling?
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    There's nothing better than kicking back with a nice, cold pint of Stella after a busy day at work.

I think you're on the wrong thread - or trolling?

Not trolling, just thought it would raise a smile or two :D

Stella review on Beer Advocate:

Appearance - Nice and light golden color with a white head.

Smell - One of my favorite smells - a lightly skunked beer.

Taste - "Delicious" said my taste buds. Taste like a biscuit topped with grains and grass.

Mouthfeel - Its perfectly carbonated, and refreshingly crisp. So good after a hot day or working outside. In the winter i like to let it warm up a little so its heavier.

Overall - I enjoy a good stella every now and again. I prefer bottle over draft, but will say yes every time to both.

Serving type: bottle

:lol:
  • UPS have lost my Colnago, how much beer am I allowed to drink tonight?

@gietvangent

:shock: :x :cry:

In this instance a whole gnome full of La Chouffe!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • EKIMIKE
    dsoutar wrote:
    I'm amazed no-one has posted about Kwak. I initially tried for the quirky glass / stand combo but the beer is actually very good indeed

What I tend to hear on this is that "it's nothing remarkable, beyond the glass", which you can kind of see as valid when comparing with the likes of a St Bernardus abt 12, Westmalle Tripel, Trappistes Rochefort 10, or Chimay Bleu. These are revered for their complexity and refined quality.

My personal opinion on Kwak - it's a lovely beer, with a slightly querky taste. But I would agree it's nothing particularly special when held up against the Belgian beer classics.

It's a bit like comparing Peter Sagan to Tom Boonen. Sagan is good, but he's no Boonen (yet...)

No, no, no, Goat!

:cry::cry:

or

:evil: :evil:
  • My Rage has been somewhat tempered by the knowledge, that i managed to glean after 5 phonecalls and 6 hours that it is en route to or from either London or Dartmouth.

Now, I know neither of those places are in Belgium... But assuming the nice man at UPS's Dartmouth depot wants to scan it in tonight rather than, lets say, leave it in a corner and claim he never had it, I should get it tomorrow.

Tonights choices are as black as my mood

St. Bernadud Abbot 12
    Gulden Draak
    Chouffe N'Ice
    Westmalle Dubbel

As to Kwak, I think Mike is being harsh, but only a little Harsh. Kwak is, as he says, no Chimay Bleu, Abbot 12 or Rochefort 10, but it's not Leffe Brune either.

@gietvangent

• Westmalle Dubbel

That's all I have in the house and I've had a long day. I'll raise a glass of this to your waylaid fiets.

Hmmmm Chimay Bleu... My favorite restaurant serves this. Many a long night... :D

• Westmalle Dubbel

That's all I have in the house and I've had a long day. I'll raise a glass of this to your waylaid fiets.

Hmmmm Chimay Bleu... My favorite restaurant serves this. Many a long night... :D

As soon as I opened mine I got a notification that UPS had scanned it again in Dartmouth. It clearly has magic properties. I suggest you drink yours too.

@gietvangent

• Westmalle Dubbel

As soon as I opened mine I got a notification that UPS had scanned it again in Dartmouth. It clearly has magic properties. I suggest you drink yours too.

Goed zo!

I have just taken my first sup. Like nectar from the gods :D
  • EKIMIKE
    As to Kwak, I think Mike is being harsh, but only a little Harsh. Kwak is, as he says, no Chimay Bleu, Abbot 12 or Rochefort 10, but it's not Leffe Brune either.

Really? Peter Sagan is not Tom Boonen but he's not Johann Vansummeren either...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:

What I tend to hear on this is that "it's nothing remarkable, beyond the glass", which you can kind of see as valid when comparing with the likes of a St Bernardus abt 12, Westmalle Tripel, Trappistes Rochefort 10, or Chimay Bleu. These are revered for their complexity and refined quality.

My personal opinion on Kwak - it's a lovely beer, with a slightly querky taste. But I would agree it's nothing particularly special when held up against the Belgian beer classics.

It's a bit like comparing Peter Sagan to Tom Boonen. Sagan is good, but he's no Boonen (yet...)

no Id agree, its quirky but not outstanding (still better than Stella though :lol: ), but the glass definitely sells it as in a standard tulip style glass I dont think it would be noticed among the other big hitting belgian beers
  • Sagan is not Kwak! Agree with Ekimike - Kwak is more Van Summeren.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Im looking forward to being in Oudenaarde for the Ronde, should be a good few cycling themed beers to try! Just noticed Malteni have a new one called 'King of the Koppenberg'.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • dsoutar
    Had a Trappistes Rochefort last night; there's not many of my clutch of Belgian beers left now and I was saving it. I'm not sure whether I liked it or not. It was quite overwhelming, both taste and scent, and I'm not sure whether that was down to the high alcohol content. It was one of those beers where I enjoyed the one I had but couldn't see me spending en evening drinking (alcohol content aside).

I think on the whole I prefer more subtle flavours and unfortunately this doesn't fall into that category.
  • Perhaps subtle flavours don't do so well in bars where there's still a fog of cigarette smoke.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Perhaps subtle flavours don't do so well in bars where there's still a fog of cigarette smoke.

Good point. When the smoking ban was introduced in Glasgow, my Deuchars was diminished by the unmasked stench from the deep fat fryers.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • EKIMIKE
    dsoutar wrote:
    Had a Trappistes Rochefort last night; there's not many of my clutch of Belgian beers left now and I was saving it. I'm not sure whether I liked it or not. It was quite overwhelming, both taste and scent, and I'm not sure whether that was down to the high alcohol content. It was one of those beers where I enjoyed the one I had but couldn't see me spending en evening drinking (alcohol content aside).

I think on the whole I prefer more subtle flavours and unfortunately this doesn't fall into that category.

Was it the 10? As i've said before, I find the 8 way more drinkable and prefer it over the 10 for that reason. The 6 is too much the other way, but still pretty damn good.

I wasn't too sure about Quadrupel's at first - quite strong with alcohol and in your face with flavour and complexity - but once you know what to expect, there's nothing quite like a good Quadrupel!

PS we need more pictures

Trappistes_de_Rochefort_-_3_bouteilles.jpg
  • dsoutar
    It was the 10 - I will seek out the 8 and 6 now on your advice !

Too many beers, not enough time (or liver)