OT: Belgian Beer

Comments

• EKIMIKE wrote:
    As i've said before, I find the 8 way more drinkable and prefer it over the 10 for that reason. The 6 is too much the other way, but still pretty damn good.

Myself and the husband would like to confirm this view. The 8 is the bestest.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I feel the need to offer a different view.

10 is the best of the Rocheforts, because it tastes like a boozy christmas pud with chocolate
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Goat, what is your top 5, as you alluded to earlier in the thread?

All this talk of Trapistes Rochefort - makes me want one tonight. Only got two 8's and two 10's left though. :(
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tonights selection from my 5 Euro beer club (Carrefour)

Omer
    Chouffe McChouffe
    Corsendank Pater
    Gentse Strop

Thank god my bike is arriving tomorrow!

Lovely stuff. I tried it for the first time last week. I head to Kris Wines every month and buy a load of the usual suspects (Westmalle, Orval, Chimay, Halve Maan) and the odd new-to-me tipple. Pleasantly surprised by this month's addition.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Top 5

1. Duvel- King of beers, if it's an obvious choice it's just because it's that good
    2.Gulden Draak- Was a taste sensation when i first had it out of a magnum that had been priced down because it was out of date. Best £2.54 I ever spent. Although, Mrs. Goat limits me to 2 in a sitting.
    3.Westmalle Dubbel- I love Dubbels so I have to have on one the list...
    4.St. Barnadus Abbot 12- I brew my own Belgian style beer and this is the gold standard for my strong brown. Really rich and complex and the right amount of phenols to add to the alcohol rather than make the drink taste of nothing but booze
    5. La Chouffe- I can't choose between the original, Chouffe N'Ice, the IPA hopped one and McCHouffe so all of them.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,871
    I have a few bottles left from my last Belgian trip.
    Rochefort 8, Westmalle Dubbel, La Chouffe etc left for next month's biggies.
    Finally settled on a Westmalle Tripel, Trippel Karmeliet, Duvel combo for today.

I managed to pick up a bunch of Chimay Bleu in our little Tesco's, just before Christmas.
    It was reduced to clear for half price at a few pence over a quid a bottle.

Now, I know it is somewhat frowned upon in this thread, but for those UK beggars
    who can't be choosers....................Leffe.
    Pack of 4, currently on sale in ASDA for just 3 pounds.
    Surely, better than a dry Het Nieuwsblad?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Leffe, mmmmmmmmmmm

I don`t care if it`s not snobby `nuff,, s`magic 8)
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,344
    Top five is hard.

Top five Lambic & sour:

Driefontein Oude Gueze Golden Blend
    Cantillon Gueuze
    Giradin Black Label
    Duchess du Bourgogne
    Rodenbach Grand Cru

Top five otherwise:
    Duvel
    Westmalle Trippel
    Rochefort 10
    St Feuillien Trippel
    Westvleteren 12

I've got a preference for the blonde beers really though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Is there a kind of Lonely Planet guide to the beers of Belgium.

It's the brother-in-laws birthday in a few weeks and hes talking about travelling round "the beers of Belgium," so if there's a guide I can get him that would be great.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    well I see theres a new edition of Tim Webbs Good Beer Guide Belgium due out at the end of the month. thats generally been a very good book/travel guide to Belgium and its beer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852493119/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_RF0etb0AFQ4E7
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    awavey wrote:
    well I see theres a new edition of Tim Webbs Good Beer Guide Belgium due out at the end of the month. thats generally been a very good book/travel guide to Belgium and its beer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852493119/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_RF0etb0AFQ4E7

If I ever had to give testimony in a court of law, I'd take my oath on that (well, the earlier edition I've got).
  • I have very reasonable rates for overnights...

(a bottle of Laphroaig for however many nights you want)

@gietvangent
  • Thread needs a bump.

Having selected a Russian for tomorrow, I will be bucking the Flanders trend and mostly slurping DuPont' s Saison a beer from daahn sahf (Wallonie). Interested to hear of others imbibings.
    Flanders is overrated anyway <ducks and runs for cover>
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,239
    Every year I endeavour to douse my Flanders viewing with an obscure and quirky beer from that region. This year, I've only managed to secure the services of Waitrose's 'Belgian Beer' for the race; thereby substituting pretentious aesthetic aspirations with middle-class toss-pottery. Tit.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    This looks like a lot of fun ...

The ultimate RVV schedule?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Every year I endeavour to douse my Flanders viewing with an obscure and quirky beer from that region. This year, I've only managed to secure the services of Waitrose's 'Belgian Beer' for the race; thereby substituting pretentious aesthetic aspirations with middle-class toss-pottery. Tit.
    Morrisons have a few Belgian beers, will let you know what they are like later :D Also have frites and Mayo ready to go.

They probably aren't considered cool but I like the cherry beer they do in there, someone on here gave me a tip to have it with dark chocolate for a Black forest gateaux experience :wink:
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    Got myself a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier and a Rochefort 10 for todays race. Got them from whole foods on kensington high street. Lovely section at the moment.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm staying safe. Tripels... :

- Westmalle
    - St. Bernardus
    - Karmeliet

Cheers!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    All I have is Leffe. Am I allowed in?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Turfle wrote:
    All I have is Leffe. Am I allowed in?

Yes, but you have to sit in the corner and wait to be spoken to.
  • Paul 8v
    On Grimbergen at the moment
  • Paul 8v
    You city boys are spoilt with your Belgian beer availability, must get some next time I'm down in the smoke.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 481
    I got mine last year waitrose in Buxton and they had quite a good selection.
    This year we fuelled up when we went to Brugge before Christmas.
  • Paul 8v
    I must go to Bruges, even if it is only to quote lines from "In Bruges" for a day
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 481
    I tried that. Wife less keen with the kids there though!

Nice place, cobbles, chocolate and beer. Went to watch newcastle play there a few years ago. Half the Geordies missed the match as they were all paralytic after an afternoon on the strong beers...
  • Paul 8v
    Haha, nice :-) "I wouldn't go up there, elephants"
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Amen.

x6KB6wn.jpg

The middle is possibly my vote for worlds best beer.

I'm on St Feullien trippel and Duvel.
  • Paul 8v
    I need a proper Tulip glass