OT: Belgian Beer

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,510
    I've got a local bottle shop opening tomorrow. The owner is a mate, and has been asking me for stock suggestions.

It's not going to be cheap, but it's going to have the stuff I can't get in the supermarket (which does pretty well tbh).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,392
    Definitely the way to go - the guy in my local bottle shop (Epicurean https://www.theepicureanbeers.co.uk/ ) is great - he always keeps stuff back for me that he thinks I'll like and lets me know when new stuff has come in that's up my street (normally stupid Imperial stouts and sours with fruit in them... 3 Fonteinen and so on).

My Friday lunchtime routine is usually to walk along to the bottle shop and chat sh*t about beer for a while and pick up a few beers for the weekend.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Definitely the way to go - the guy in my local bottle shop (Epicurean https://www.theepicureanbeers.co.uk/ ) is great - he always keeps stuff back for me that he thinks I'll like and lets me know when new stuff has come in that's up my street (normally stupid Imperial stouts and sours with fruit in them... 3 Fonteinen and so on).

My Friday lunchtime routine is usually to walk along to the bottle shop and chat sh*t about beer for a while and pick up a few beers for the weekend.

On stouts/porters, this is a well loved Danish brew of long standing, available in all good dk supermarkets. There are three varieties, including a liquorice version and a whisky cask version. Well worth a look if you can find it

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/954/3091/
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,676
    My God, (literally) it seems we have narrowly averted a complete disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/16/trouble-brews-between-trappist-monks-and-belgian-mineral-empire
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Just spent a small fortune on 4 beers for my youngest's 18th. Large Cantillon gueuze, large Giradin Black Label gueuze and two small bottles of Westvleteren 12.

Yes, he's already on the expensive sh1t at 17... But these should be laid down a couple of years anyway
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Ah, Westvleteren 12. My end of days reserve. For when the apocalypse is imminent, I have a 6 pack available. €3.50 a bottle isn't it? In the In de Vrede shop opposite the monastery that is. Just have to get there again...

One of my pals last week made a loaf using the 12. Philistine.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    orraloon said:

Ah, Westvleteren 12. My end of days reserve. For when the apocalypse is imminent, I have a 6 pack available. €3.50 a bottle isn't it? In the In de Vrede shop opposite the monastery that is. Just have to get there again...

One of my pals last week made a loaf using the 12. Philistine.

Vrede means "anger' in Danish, which is what I'm feeling seeing those prices quoted... That and jealousy. These cost as much as a decent bottle of wine.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The 18th birthday beer crate in full

• bobmcstuff
    edited May 2021
    How was the KBS and CBS? I absolutely love those beers... pioneered that barrel aged imperial stout thing, which is probably my favourite style...

Don't know the Gueze Girardin, will need to try and find it :smile:
  • bobmcstuff
    edited May 2021
    I should have posted my 33rd birthday box the other week, most of it wasn't Belgian although I did have one of the recent 3 Fonteinen releases and the Mikkeller Svensbaer which is the same style (albeit from Denmark)

(Ooh it's rotated)

The full box:

Although that's actually missing some of the fridge beers I'd been saving which I also took.

Like the Beer Geek Fudgsicle:

• No_Ta_Doctor
    We've not opened any yet, but CBS was the first of those big stouts I tried, and it stopped me in my tracks. They've stopped making it now (not sure about the KBS) so pick it up if you see it!

The Holiday Weekend came highly rated, 14% stout, also bourbon barrel aged, cocoa nibs, marshmallow and coconut. Probably not my cup of tea, but the lad loves big sweet stouts and dry as a desert gueuzes so I picked it up

The Giradin is decent, but get black label not white label. Driefontein do some beautiful gueuzes, but couldn't find one. I once splashed out on their Gouden blend...
  • bobmcstuff
    The KBS is bourbon barrel aged so it's more hot/boozy on the nose. The CBS is barrel aged too isn't it but in maple syrup barrels so I remember it being more subtle (although no notes on my Untappd :( ).

That Beer Geek Fudgsicle was a similar kind of thing and it is awesome... That started from the Beer Geek Breakfast, which is a bit like that too.

And yeah, I am not a huge fan of coconut in stouts.

I really like the Lervig 3 Bean if you find it, it's vanilla, cocoa and tonka beans, 12%... Tonka beans have a really unique cinnamon/woody taste which really goes well with cocoa and vanilla. It's probably one of the most bonkers "core range" beers out there, most of those big beers are limited or seasonal (I think KBS is seasonal). They did a barrel aged one and it unbelievable.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited June 2021
    Had a few new beers (for me) from the Liege area yesterday
    They were all good. The Val Dieu blond crisp like a lightweight Duvel, the Tripel not too sweet or cloying and the Curtius crisp with some citrus and hop (will give it a better try soon, followed the Tripel so tasting notes are.... Suspect)

• ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,171
    For the supermarket shoppers or those missing a wider range of beers, I note my local Tesco (Batley) now stocks La Chouffe Blonde (330ml/£2)...plus currently has offers on 750ml Tripel Karmeliat (£4.50) and 750ml Leffe Blonde/Brune (£2.50).

Not Westvleteren 12, sure, but better than a kick in the bollekes.

Anyone any pointers or recommendations on Christmas/winter brews?
  • orraloon
    A wander off subject slightly. That LaChouffe price looks pretty good. Price per bottle in 24x case from Vanuxeem in Ploegsteert last weekend was £1.41. Ok, Houblon Chouffe the hopped up version @ 9% vs 8% but still...

Though smug boy here got his 6 packs of Westvleteren 12 and 8 😊 €23 for the 12s, €19 for the 8s inc 10c per bottle deposit.

In full disclosure, there are some additional logistical type costs associated with buying in Belgium, but, if one is there anyway....

Friend of mine a few years back sent me a pic from a menu in some high falutin' gastro restaurant over Cambridge way with Westvleteren 12 listed @ £45. Each, not the 6 pack.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Right, got a weekend in Brugge booked next month, what beers *have* to be tried there and what are the best beer bars? @RickChasey has already recommended 2be bar.

Anyone done brewery tours there?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022

Right, got a weekend in Brugge booked next month, what beers *have* to be tried there and what are the best beer bars? @RickChasey has already recommended 2be bar.

I have done the Straffe Hendrik tour in Brugge. It’s got a nice restaurant bar to grab a bite and a beer or two.

Other than that, I’ll say it again. The Staminee de Garre off the main square needs a visit just to try their trippel. It used to be (pre Covid) served with cheese, probably to help soak up the 11.5% it weighs in at. Actually it’s a very cheap way to get legless and quickly!

https://degarre.be/tripeldegarre/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188671-d1015471-Reviews-Staminee_De_Garre-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

Really hard to find the hole in the wall (literally) behind which it hides.
    You can always do a beer tour.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g188671-Activities-c42-t201-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

Not far away, on Philipstockstraat, is this bar/restaurant that has a very good rep.

https://bierbrasseriecambrinus.eu/
  • orraloon
    Been a few years now since been in Brugge, so my comments may be out of date... but agree the Straffe Hendrik brewery is a good stop. You don't have to do the tour.

There's the old school t'Brugs Beertje in Kemelstraat.

Cambrinus is good.

De Garre is down a little side lane off Breidelstraat off Grote Markt and as b_s says is def worth a visit, cozy, multi levels in this old building, good range.

Enjoy.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cheers, great recommendations all. Serendipity bumped me into a Belgian brewer from Leuven this evening, claims t'Bruges Beertje is the best bar in Belgium, so that's definitely on the list!

I'm also up for beer served with cheese, so de Garre sounds good 🧀🍻😊
  • blazing_saddles

Cheers, great recommendations all. Serendipity bumped me into a Belgian brewer from Leuven this evening, claims t'Bruges Beertje is the best bar in Belgium, so that's definitely on the list!

I'm also up for beer served with cheese, so de Garre sounds good 🧀🍻😊

If my memory serves me correctly, Rich is the last forum member to do the Brugge beer extravaganza.
    Should be in this thread somewhere....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

If my memory serves me correctly, Rich is the last forum member to do the Brugge beer extravaganza.
    Should be in this thread somewhere....

Back in 2020 just before lockdown though. But de Garre is excellent. I also liked Hof van Rembrandt as a decent quietish bar. 'T Brugs Beertje is good (as far as I can remember).

If you want to watch sport on the TV, Delany's Irish Pub (plenty of Belgian beer). For the bar they filmed a big scene from In Bruges in, Diligence
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh christ, just realised it's the last round of the Premier league 😱
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

My daughter is on a cruise with college over the weekend going to Brugge. I told her to get me some beers but bizarrely due to some insurance issue her party have to stay on the boat so no beer (or chocolate) coming back with her!
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

My daughter is on a cruise with college over the weekend going to Brugge. I told her to get me some beers but bizarrely due to some insurance issue her party have to stay on the boat so no beer (or chocolate) coming back with her!
    They won’t see much of Brugge from a boat.
    What a weird trip.
  • orraloon
    Confusing Brugge with Zeebrugge? 😊

Couple more, reminders from one of my usual expeditionary force who takes more notice of names and places.

Opposite one another on Vlamingstraat, t'Poatersgat downstairs in a former crypt, and Comptoir des Arts also in a cellar.

Worth checking opening times, think both above are evening until late, and t'Brugs Biertje opens from 4pm.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Pross said:

They won’t see much of Brugge from a boat.
    What a weird trip.
    I think someone may have messed up and forgot to sort out the insurance. The main purpose is to give them an insight into working on a cruise ship (part of a performing arts course) but they may as well have gone to Butlins to experience life as a red coat if they are just staying on the ship. Luckily it was a freebie.
  • blazing_saddles
    Better late than never I suppose. Lidl have a Dutch/Belgian week starting on Thursday.
    The usual case of 6 (2 each of Draak, Bornem, Piraat.)
    4 packs of 6.6% Bornem blonde, 6.6% Archivist blonde, (Trappist) 7.5% Leute Bokbier (dubbel dark) 7% Cuvee des Trolls pale ale.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,156

Better late than never I suppose. Lidl have a Dutch/Belgian week starting on Thursday.
    The usual case of 6 (2 each of Draak, Bornem, Piraat.)
    4 packs of 6.6% Bornem blonde, 6.6% Archivist blonde, (Trappist) 7.5% Leute Bokbier (dubbel dark) 7% Cuvee des Trolls pale ale.

The 6 packs are very good - really like the Draak.
  • bobmcstuff
    Was supposed to be going to Ghent next week for work, unfortunately I had to go somewhere else instead... lame.