Snow's Coming!

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
1202.png

Looks like it'll hit Northern Scotland by mid-afternoon and work south through the night, Northeast England in time for the morning commute on Tuesday possibly going as far south as the M62 corridor Tuesday night. So 90% of Forumites needn't worry!

Time for those long forgotten Snow Studs/Marathon Winters/Ice Spikers/DIY Hacks to see some action!
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Tough decision about which bike to take in the morning - MTB that still has Ice Spikers on - or roadie. Snow often doesn't live up to forecasts
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It was bloody cold here yesterday & today, forecast for Tues is 0c and rain/sleet

Good job I took off the ice spikers this weekend :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh FFS, I suggest smashing more fridges and dumping some Halon. This bloody global warming is not living up to it's reputation, I for one am going to complain to China.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SimonAH wrote:
    Oh FFS, I suggest smashing more fridges and dumping some Halon. This bloody global warming is not living up to it's reputation, I for one am going to complain to China.

Doesn't global warming mean we get colder? So our choices are wet weather or cold. We can't catch a lucky break, can we?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    And boy wasn't it cold this morning, back to full winter kit for me.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Errr....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content
    YELLOW WARNING for SNOW

Is someone peeing in the snow again?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Good job i've still got the marathon winters on the crosser, couple of inches of snow and lots of ice around this morning, or was that just me?
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Thought this would be a Game of Thrones thread...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I bottled it this morning. :oops:
    2 degrees with a windchill taking it sub zero, torrential rain and snow forecast.
    As I have a chest/head cold virus and a Mallorca trip this month to look forward to, it seemed prudent.
    I am currently sitting in an office with the heating turned off for the "summer" wearing a shirt, merino jersey and a fleece :evil:
    Plus the other obvious clothes too :wink:

This is made all the weirder by the fact that my head has a tan from the sun at the weekend!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    it better not come down to london, my CX is back in my parents garage for the summer now
  • Initialised
    Errr....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167#extra-uk-content
    YELLOW WARNING for SNOW

Is someone peeing in the snow again?

Just don't eat it!

Will be donning the Snow Studs tonight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • meanredspider
    Snow settling here now. It was 20+C last week - now close to zero. Back to 10C by Friday apparently
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    I just walked to the shop on the corner in a T-Shirt. Is it quite far north you live MRS?

• meanredspider
    SimonAH wrote:
    I just walked to the shop on the corner in a T-Shirt. Is it quite far north you live MRS?

Err - yes - the sign at the end of the road says JoG 115 miles - Glasgow is 180 miles south - basically I'm at the "Notch" in the North East of Scotland
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SimonAH wrote:

Err - yes - the sign at the end of the road says JoG 115 miles - Glasgow is 180 miles south - basically I'm at the "Notch" in the North East of Scotland
    It can be difficult to convey to people who think that "north" means manchester
  • Kieran_Burns
    bompington wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

I was staying with friends in Lossiemouth and wanted to drive to JoG. I said I could leave fairly late as it would only take a couple of hours..... much hilarity ensued. :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    Yep wed/thurs here :x

In April FFS
  • Initialised
    bompington wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

The snow probably wont make it as far SOUTH as Manchester.

My Studs are fitted so I probably wont get any either.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:

In April FFS

It's not that unusual to be fair - and I've seen snow here in June! (that really WAS freaky)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

In April FFS

It's not that unusual to be fair - and I've seen snow here in June! (that really WAS freaky)

I live in Wiltshire that's pretty far SW a good 90+ miles from London
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH wrote:

We really need that sarcasm font! I was joking old bean. (reminds self to use smilies when being facetious) :shock:

• meanredspider
    SimonAH wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

We really need that sarcasm font! I was joking old bean. (reminds self to use smilies when being facetious) :shock:

Sorry :oops: - it's just that plenty of people have no idea how far north Inverness is - I had a guy "pop up" from Manchester to pick up a car he'd bought from me. About 5 hours and 1 speeding ticket later, he finally arrived (only after I'd left to catch a plane - my wife had to deal with it) - he clearly had no idea how far north it was
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Sorry :oops: - it's just that plenty of people have no idea how far north Inverness is - I had a guy "pop up" from Manchester to pick up a car he'd bought from me. About 5 hours and 1 speeding ticket later, he finally arrived (only after I'd left to catch a plane - my wife had to deal with it) - he clearly had no idea how far north it was
    :D:D

• UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited April 2012
    Yep, big, sloppy lumps of snow falling from the sky here. Time to dig out my winter kit again.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    2 inches of snow west of Aberdeen. Trains from Inverness cancelled/long delays. Worst winters day of the year - in April.

Not a drop in Aberdeen :!:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Went to bed in April, woke up in January :(
  • suzyb wrote:
    Went to bed in April, woke up in January :(

Year well spent! :D
  • meanredspider
    a good 4+" of snow here if not more. Spent an hour in it this morning putting the snow tyres back on the car :roll:

No power either :roll:

Too deep for the bike for sure.
  • Kieran_Burns
    My friend in Lossiemouth has reported similar issues where she is - complete white-out last night.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Good couple of inches here (we're up the hill a bit from Dundee so usually get a bit more snow), wet but drifting in places - making it a nice day to take the dog for a walk...
    I came to the conclusion a long time back that once the snow is deeper than your bottom bracket you're in trouble - but it's fun to try anyway, and on the way back down I managed to charge the drift in the pic that stopped me on the way up.

I guess that after a taste of summer we were due a proper Scottish spring.