Unbelievable today

1235»

Comments

• I promise I'm not trolling.
    Once again I do agree with what you are saying.

But I would be really pi$$ed off with myself for being stooopid enough to leave my phone where a thief could see it, and easily steal it. The thief should be punished, but that wouldn't change the fact I made it easy for him.
    Had I left my phone in the glove compartment, I would be really pi$$ed off with the thief for doing such a thing.

Paul I'm not and have never defended the m/c, for all the reasons you say.
    Had it happened to me, it would have been a different incident as I would not have been riding on the wrong side of the road.

Everyone seems to say our guy's riding is wrong.
    EVERYONE (inc the courts)is saying the m/c should never have struck our guy.

But I seem to be the only person pointing to the cause and effect, that's all.
  • I'd be curious as to what motorbikeradar.com would make of the incident?

As usual with such things the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just had a look at the video and reached the following conclusions:

1. The group cycling discipline was poor. The OP should never have been that close to the white line especially on an approach to a bend.

2. The overtake by the motorcyclists wasn't on.

3. The action by the motorcyclist was an assault, he could have pushed you and others off and come off himself. He lied under Oath and deserved what he got. He should have fessed up in the first place.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • He lied under Oath and deserved what he got. He should have fessed up in the first place.
    A very stupid thing to do, in light of the evidence.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I promise I'm not trolling.
    Once again I do agree with what you are saying.

But I would be really pi$$ed off with myself for being stooopid enough to leave my phone where a thief could see it, and easily steal it. The thief should be punished, but that wouldn't change the fact I made it easy for him.
    Had I left my phone in the glove compartment, I would be really pi$$ed off with the thief for doing such a thing.

Paul I'm not and have never defended the m/c, for all the reasons you say.
    Had it happened to me, it would have been a different incident as I would not have been riding on the wrong side of the road.

Everyone seems to say our guy's riding is wrong.
    EVERYONE (inc the courts)is saying the m/c should never have struck our guy.

But I seem to be the only person pointing to the cause and effect, that's all.

By only having standard glass in the windows in your house rather than the bullet proof equivalent, you are making it easy for me to shoot you dead in cold blood from your front garden, (don't worry, I'm very unlikely to do this, i'm just illustrating my point). Would my responsibility for this crime be lessened in any sense because you haven't taken sensible steps to avoid it? Were you asking for it? If I get sent to prison, leaving me unable to look after my family, do you have a lot to answer for?
  • jim453 wrote:
    By only having standard glass in the windows in your house rather than the bullet proof equivalent, you are making it easy for me to shoot you dead in cold blood from your front garden, (don't worry, I'm very unlikely to do this, i'm just illustrating my point). Would my responsibility for this crime be lessened in any sense because you haven't taken sensible steps to avoid it? Were you asking for it? If I get sent to prison, leaving me unable to look after my family, do you have a lot to answer for?
    Blimey Jim, I thought your phone/car analogy was very good.
    That's just way to surreal for me!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    jim453 wrote:

Crazy isn't it, I'm rather enjoying myself.
  • jim453 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Crazy isn't it, I'm rather enjoying myself.
    So I see.

You hang up first!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Having watched the video, the Motorbike rider shouldn't have done what he did by reaching out, that's clear.

What's equally clear is the road hogging attitude of the cyclists is really poor, and I can completely understand why it would wind up other road users. Cycles are small, and there was no attempt to file out to let traffic past AND if the wind at the speed meant the riders couldn't hear traffic coming up behind, they should already have been filed out.

The riding is inconsiderate to other road users. Riding like that creates a bigger chance of getting seriously hurt too. Its common sense (or lack of it in this case).
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    The video seems to show a group of riders riding as a disorganized bunch, more than 2 wide, but this is not important to the crime that occured.

The Video clearly shows a motorbike rider striking another person.
    This is the important part, no matter what els occured there was physical contact, recorded on camera and that is that. The only room for argument is who was in charge of the mortorbike- is there proven ID of the aggressor?

As for the Aggressor losing his job, well it serves him right, surely he was aware that a conviction could affect his job? This being the case then it serves him right.
    I hope he lost it, and I hope he felt like a tool when he went home and explained to his wife/family that he would not be able to buy groceries/pay mortgage etc because he hit a cyclists from his moving motor bike. If people dont think about the consequesnces and how it will effect their family and themsleves then they certainly dont deserve a job like being a social worker, how is this guy going to get people to think about improving their life for the futre.

Well done to the O.P. for following through, if this was unreported, then next time it could have been one of the rest of us or a kid who was injured/killed by this act of stupidity. Thanks for doing a service to all other cyclist in helping to remove a danger to us all
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    liquor box wrote:
    Well done to the O.P. for following through, if this was unreported, then next time it could have been one of the rest of us or a kid who was injured/killed by this act of stupidity. Thanks for doing a service to all other cyclist in helping to remove a danger to us all

This is the important point that many seem to forget - seemingly preferring to make excuses for the motorcyclist's dangerous behaviour. Surprising seeing as this is a cycling forum!
  • liquor box wrote:

This is the important point that many seem to forget - seemingly preferring to make excuses for the motorcyclist's dangerous behaviour. Surprising seeing as this is a cycling forum!
    What about the children!!!!!!!

Maybe there wouldn't have been a next time, as he may never encounter such inconsiderate, poor, selfish riding again.

Hang on, have we been here before!!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    liquor box wrote:

What about the children!!!!!!!

Maybe there wouldn't have been a next time, as he may never encounter such inconsiderate, poor, selfish riding again.

Hang on, have we been here before!!

But the group riding, although shamefully poor, wasn't unlawful. The assault was. However, I hope that group of riders realise that riding like that does no-one on a bike any favours.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    essjaydee wrote:
    I said in an earlier post that there are lessons to be learnt from this, but I would say it is difficult to be over critical of my riding from a short piece of video footage. At no point where we 4 abreast and all over the road. I think I may have clipped the white line at one point briefly :|
    The road was clear ahead and you could see around the corner and well ahead for a good 1/2 mile plus. We had just gone down a nice steep open stretch of road and I was following my mate by passing a few of the slower riders, and generally enjoying a nice fast bit of riding. Before following my mate I assessed the road as being clear, with good visibility and the road plenty wide enough for any vehicles to overtake, so I took the decision to follow him and then tuck in behind once past.
    I'm sure we have all done similar things when out with a group at some time.
    The club rides are always well organised and disciplined and we follow a general code which involves the use of hand signals to warn of poor road surface, potholes etc and verbal warnings of vehicles passing, as well as single file on busier roads, and no more than 2 abreast on more rural roads.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    essjaydee wrote:
    essjaydee wrote:
    I said in an earlier post that there are lessons to be learnt from this, but I would say it is difficult to be over critical of my riding from a short piece of video footage. At no point where we 4 abreast and all over the road. I think I may have clipped the white line at one point briefly :|
    The road was clear ahead and you could see around the corner and well ahead for a good 1/2 mile plus. We had just gone down a nice steep open stretch of road and I was following my mate by passing a few of the slower riders, and generally enjoying a nice fast bit of riding. Before following my mate I assessed the road as being clear, with good visibility and the road plenty wide enough for any vehicles to overtake, so I took the decision to follow him and then tuck in behind once past.
    I'm sure we have all done similar things when out with a group at some time.
    The club rides are always well organised and disciplined and we follow a general code which involves the use of hand signals to warn of poor road surface, potholes etc and verbal warnings of vehicles passing, as well as single file on busier roads, and no more than 2 abreast on more rural roads.

You don't have to justify yourself or actions to anyone. If he had not decided to get up in the morning and go for a motorcycle ride, he would not be in the position he is today. There is absolutely no justification for his actions, the bloke should not have touched you. If there was any doubt about the actions that chap took, the police would not have followed it up. Don't lose any sleep over it.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin