Bikeaholics Annoymous

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
We all know that the bikes are just a small part of the total cost, then there's accessories, pedals, clothes, shoes, then there are the constant need for upgrades, I also changed the house, bought new furniture so that 4 bikes can live happily together in their own section of the lounge, but what happens when you reach that point when looking at all the stuff on offer you suddenly realise that you don't need/want anything else?

I have stopped spending! Help I'm lost! Reassure me!

There just must be more things!

What now...
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    This is just a temporary blip. Enjoy it whilst it lasts! Soon you'll be GASsing after new stuff!

(In muso speak, GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome... It explains why I once owned 9 basses and 4 amps. I suppose we should be calling it B.A.S.)
  • When you dont want anything else, it's time to start riding ;)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Jerseys and gloves, you can never have too many jerseys and gloves !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I'm on a quest for the perfect rain jacket, care to join me? It will never end.....
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I'm on a quest for the perfect rain jacket, care to join me? It will never end.....
    This too is part of my man labours...

This year I managed to add a 6" travel MTB and only yesterday collected my new full carbon road weapon, given that I have a hard tail mtb and CX bike already what else do I need? Suggestions on a postcard please to Pebble Mill, BBC I have run out of ideas centre, Birmainham, Engerlander
  • team47b wrote:

What now...

Buy me some new tyres - that will help you to get started again and restore your joy :D
  • team47b
    MattC59 wrote:

Gloves...good idea, I am down to my last four pairs, but I do need some summer ones, can you suggest some that are realllly lightweight? Don't need much in the way of padding, minimal protection, no animals need to die in order to satisfy my glove paucity?
  • team47b
    team47b wrote:

What now...

Buy me some new tyres - that will help you to get started again and restore your joy :D

Just bought:
    4x Continentals for the hybrids
    4x Schwalbe Ultremo zx for the road bikes
    I even bought two new Schwalbe tyres for the trailers! Don't 16" Schwalbies look really cute, they're sooo tiny.

Oh, I genuinely just realised you said "buy me some new tyres" :oops:
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Wiggle - always a home for the cycling desperate
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • team47b
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Yeah, you start out with Wiggle, you think you can handle it, then they entice you in with sweets, next thing you know you're a gold customer, that stuff's 5%, highly addictive, just say NO, well maybe just this once...
  • ilm_zero7
    team47b wrote:
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Yeah, you start out with Wiggle, you think you can handle it, then they entice you in with sweets, next thing you know you're a gold customer, that stuff's 5%, highly addictive, just say NO, well maybe just this once...
    then I am afflicted - 12% Platinum !!!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    team47b wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Gloves...good idea, I am down to my last four pairs, but I do need some summer ones, can you suggest some that are realllly lightweight? Don't need much in the way of padding, minimal protection, no animals need to die in order to satisfy my glove paucity?

Well, I'm afraid that's me out, as my current favorites are the white leather Gore Retrotech gloves.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    MattC59 wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Well, I'm afraid that's me out, as my current favorites are the white leather Gore Retrotech gloves.

I know, that's why the dig :D

(Really retro style though) :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nweststeyn wrote:
    This is just a temporary blip. Enjoy it whilst it lasts! Soon you'll be GASsing after new stuff!

(In muso speak, GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome... It explains why I once owned 9 basses and 4 amps. I suppose we should be calling it B.A.S.)

:lol: very good.
  • team47b wrote:
    4 bikes...
    team47b wrote:

n+1

There you go, problem sorted.
  • team47b
    I'm on a quest for the perfect rain jacket, care to join me? It will never end.....

I was going to just smile when I read your reply, because it hasn't rained here since that one memorable day in October last year, and before that it rained in April, BUT it has been raining off and on since your post! Well done. :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

+1
  • 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    It was a weekend, a nice sunny day and I was outside a busy café. Lots of coffee and carbs and for some reason there were loads of lycra-clad cyclists all sweat and smiles. And the women, phwoargh.

I got drawn into the chat around my table and one chap said, y’know, all innocent like, “go on, try my bike, it’s easy”. So I thought what harm can it do? And I liked it. In fact I thought about it all that week and went back to that café again the following weekend. This time I blagged a ride and stayed on a bit longer than before. It felt good and I thought “what harm can it do”? I can take it or leave it.

Well, as time went on I kinda found myself with a bike of my own - just for recrational use, y’know. It was good and I was sure I could give it up whenever I wanted to. But something wasn’t right. It was niggling me that I didn’t quite look right. I started looking at other peoples labels and mine just didn’t say the right things. So one thing led to another and looking good felt good too. What harm could there be in that?

But it wasn’t enough. I started buying on the QT, y’know, hiding it from me missus by having stuff delivered to work. I began to look good and feel great. But I knew. Deep within my soul, I knew. Denail was no longer an option. I was a cyclist. And I only had one bike.

Before long aluminium was just a gateway to carbon and I was mainlining on titanium. But hey, it felt so good. It felt so good that one day, I don’t even recall when or where it was now, my missus caught be shaving my legs for the first time.

The tight lycra, the @rse cream, the shaving, I was so ashamed of the look I put on her face that day. No point in denying it, she had me bang to rights. Sure my body fat was down to single digits and I had thighs like mating anacondas but I’m still not tough enough for cold turkey.

But with my good wife’s help and a lot of therapy I’ve managed to bring my habit under control over the winter. I’m proud to say that I’ve even sat through 1 1/2 episodes of TopGear. I am no longer allowed a credit card of course and I’ve had to agree on a managed programme of rides. It’s not full recovery but I was out this morning and managed 45 miles without even looking at another bike … well, almost. :cry:
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    :D:D:D:D
  • It was a weekend, a nice sunny day ... It’s not full recovery but I was out this morning and managed 45 miles without even looking at another bike … well, almost. :cry:

If you shop in Tesco they do methodone bikes and gear
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I started looking at little KCNC bits yesterday, you know like headset top caps

Then I thought to myself, what the feck is wrong with me? Why would anyone want a bling headset top cap, what's wrong with the plain black one I already have.

Where's the nearest BA meeting anyway?
  • team47b
    I went to ALDI today to get some milk, thought I would be safe in there, I usually wait outside with the bikes while mrs T goes in, but today I go inside, and spot a hydration pack, an ideal size for snacks, diabetic kit, drugs etc and the usual stuff I have to carry around, e9.99 bargain, colour coded to the fleet too! Couldn't resist, today's bike fix sorted, good start to the week. :D

Mrs T says she has banned me from all shops...
  • ilm_zero7
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Then I thought to myself, what the feck is wrong with me? Why would anyone want a bling headset top cap, what's wrong with the plain black one I already have.

I too have looked at these - the Token bling set... big money for marginally better (lighter) stuff that you already have, and is not even worn out..... sadly it is not super record compatible... spared
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Its simple, that money you were spending on gear just gets put aside for a few months, so you can buy another bike :D
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • team47b
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I thought...
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/content/about-rose/biketown
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    So wrong

tokenblinggoldmtb.jpg
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I've just (as in last week) finished the build of the fast summer commuter/trainer (Planet X ali frame, EC90 SLX forks, Dura Ace 10 speed, Ritchey WCS wet look black 'bars, stem and post, SLR 135g seat, Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL) and I love it to bits. Its lovely. For the money, the frame is brilliant: can't rate iot highly enough.

All was well in Yossie world. Very well in fact. A big fat smile across Yossie's big fat face.

Then ………

Mate pops round on his new Canyon. Very tasty as well. Oh, you can have the old Boardman frame I was using of you want he says.

Now I've spent all morning thinking up a new single speeder project for the summer - Boardman frame, mate's old Corima carbon 50 tubular in the back, de-badged P/X 50- on the front, must source some cool massively oversize stem and bars and a suitable thin looking saddle .…… What gearing? Must get that old chainset powder coated black to match the wheels and forks ……..

Now that would look cool in the garage with the 6 other bikes - and naturally it will have a specific use - ie summer trundle posing.

There is no end to this hell we live in?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    So wrong

tokenblinggoldmtb.jpg

Hmmmmmm - that'll look lovely after a summer or two outside when its all faded different colours in different patterns.

FFS, do people really buy this stuff?
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    It was a weekend, a nice sunny day and I was outside a busy café. Lots of coffee and carbs and for some reason there were loads of lycra-clad cyclists all sweat and smiles. And the women, phwoargh.

I got drawn into the chat around my table and one chap said, y’know, all innocent like, “go on, try my bike, it’s easy”. So I thought what harm can it do? And I liked it. In fact I thought about it all that week and went back to that café again the following weekend. This time I blagged a ride and stayed on a bit longer than before. It felt good and I thought “what harm can it do”? I can take it or leave it.

Well, as time went on I kinda found myself with a bike of my own - just for recrational use, y’know. It was good and I was sure I could give it up whenever I wanted to. But something wasn’t right. It was niggling me that I didn’t quite look right. I started looking at other peoples labels and mine just didn’t say the right things. So one thing led to another and looking good felt good too. What harm could there be in that?

But it wasn’t enough. I started buying on the QT, y’know, hiding it from me missus by having stuff delivered to work. I began to look good and feel great. But I knew. Deep within my soul, I knew. Denail was no longer an option. I was a cyclist. And I only had one bike.

Before long aluminium was just a gateway to carbon and I was mainlining on titanium. But hey, it felt so good. It felt so good that one day, I don’t even recall when or where it was now, my missus caught be shaving my legs for the first time.

The tight lycra, the @rse cream, the shaving, I was so ashamed of the look I put on her face that day. No point in denying it, she had me bang to rights. Sure my body fat was down to single digits and I had thighs like mating anacondas but I’m still not tough enough for cold turkey.

But with my good wife’s help and a lot of therapy I’ve managed to bring my habit under control over the winter. I’m proud to say that I’ve even sat through 1 1/2 episodes of TopGear. I am no longer allowed a credit card of course and I’ve had to agree on a managed programme of rides. It’s not full recovery but I was out this morning and managed 45 miles without even looking at another bike … well, almost. :cry:

I once brought a MTB on the credit card and hid it at work for two weeks and when the statement came in.............oh dear! Even now, years later, she panics when I say I'm going to the bike shop and I have to get stuff delivered to work and sneak items in the house. Yes, I need to man up but you ain't married to MY missus!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    I too have looked at these - the Token bling set... big money for marginally better (lighter) stuff that you already have, and is not even worn out..... sadly it is not super record compatible... spared

Lol - too late for you! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......