100 Greatest Road Climbs Sequel

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,163
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
What do you think will be on the list in the new book (or what would be your suggestions?).

For me the glaring omission from the original was Gospel Pass and I suspect it will be in the new version. I would suggest the climb from the Hay side is the tougher route although from Capel y Ffin isn't exactly easy.

Other suggestions for me would be:-

Upper Chapel (from Brecon direction) - goes up gradually more or less from Brecon (700 feet gained in 9 miles) with flat sections and the odd descent but the final mile towards the ranges is pretty steep with ramps of up to around 20%. Beautiful location in nice weather

Cobbler's Plain from Wolvesnewton - not overly steep (just under 1.5 miles at around 8 - 10%) but spectacular views on a clear day, it's a bit of a hidden gem in my opinion with more people tending to ride Star Pitch which is steeper and ends at the same place but to me isn't as 'enjoyable' a climb.

Wentwood (from Llantrisant) - steady for about 1.2 miles then with a steep kick for 0.5 miles up to around 25% according to ride with GPS. It then levels off for about another 0.5 miles and you then get a choice of straight on which gives you a gradual climb to the top of the main route or turn right towards Parc Seymour and the climb has a serious sting in the tail with about 0.3 miles of seriously steep climb.

Llangattock Mountain - there's the main road up this mountain which joins Llangynidr Mountain, featured in the original book, at the top and which is a pretty tough climb. However, there's another road up and I don't know if the climb has a name but this single track road starts in Llangattock village and goes up the eastern side of the mountain to the top of Clydach gorge. After a few short, steep climbs the main climb starts. In total it gains 750 feet in about 1.8 miles with several sections of 20 - 25% gradient and the first mile averages over 11%. It's off the beaten track a bit and a narrow road so not as well known as the Tumble or Llangynidr Mountain, which are in the area and made the first book, but it is a far tougher climb.

If the new book goes to other parts of the British Isles then I would also add Snaefell. Fantastic climb made famous by the IoM TT course which also formed the course for the Manx International Road Race back in the day.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'd expect to see The Struggle, from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass - one for the masochists I reckon!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Blakey Bank in the North Yorkshire Moors. Worth an 8/10 with multiple 20-25% ramps. There are also some very steep climbs out in the eastern part of the North Yorks Moors that would be worthy inclusions.

Does anyone know what the publication date is?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Will hopefully be some more in Scotland this time, i enjoyed the book but it definitely felt a bit sparse in its coverage for Scotland.

I'd likes to see C11 in (Glendaruel to Otter Ferry although it is thard the other way too) in Argyll. Tough climb, singletrack road and some unbelievable scenary...however it is a road that alot of people dont know about as it is quite hard to find unless you know where it is. A bigger omission would be the Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle, nice climb and scenary and one of very few roads in the UK with the golden combination of hairpins/witchbacks + good quality tarmac.

Some other ones - the Hells Glen route up to the Rest and be Thankful is better than the main road. Much quieter and better scenary.

In terms of popularity with cyclists then the Tak me Doon and Crow Road in the campsies the String Road in Arran would be good choices too.
  • Pross
    hugo15 wrote:
    Blakey Bank in the North Yorkshire Moors. Worth an 8/10 with multiple 20-25% ramps. There are also some very steep climbs out in the eastern part of the North Yorks Moors that would be worthy inclusions.

Does anyone know what the publication date is?

I saw something saying the sequel is due out in May so too late for our pearls of wisdom.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Presumably Balham Hill will be in there.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigMat wrote:
    Presumably Balham Hill will be in there.

Surprised it wasn't in the first book.
    exercise.png
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Quirang on Skye as well as the ones mentioned above.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    For me the glaring omission from the original was Gospel Pass and I suspect it will be in the new version. I would suggest the climb from the Hay side is the tougher route although from Capel y Ffin isn't exactly easy.

Other suggestions for me would be:-

Upper Chapel (from Brecon direction) - goes up gradually more or less from Brecon (700 feet gained in 9 miles) with flat sections and the odd descent but the final mile towards the ranges is pretty steep with ramps of up to around 20%. Beautiful location in nice weather
    Totally agree with both, but might also add Builth to Upper Chapel AND

and my other suggestions in Wales would be Rhayader > Cwmystywyth mtn road, 2.5 miles long, nearly 1000ft climbs; Milltir Gerrig over Berwyns; Ireland moor from Aberedw or Painscastle, former being hardest; Eppynt ranges from llywel miltary road ...could go on, and on and on ..... :):)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    hugo15 wrote:
    Blakey Bank in the North Yorkshire Moors. Worth an 8/10 with multiple 20-25% ramps.

Did Blakey Bank when I was up doing the rest of the 100 hills (first book). It is a sod. More horrible than Carlton and White Horse Bank defo....

Its here - just after mile 5. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160761292

I think that Great Dun Fell and Asterton Bank on the Long Mynd are in there. I hope that Kingston Hill in the Chilterns (my home climb) is in and I would also rec Boscastle High Street - that is a horrible grind....
  • hugo15
    mroli wrote:
    hugo15 wrote:
    Blakey Bank in the North Yorkshire Moors. Worth an 8/10 with multiple 20-25% ramps.

Did Blakey Bank when I was up doing the rest of the 100 hills (first book). It is a sod. More horrible than Carlton and White Horse Bank defo....

Its here - just after mile 5. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/160761292

I think that Great Dun Fell and Asterton Bank on the Long Mynd are in there. I hope that Kingston Hill in the Chilterns (my home climb) is in and I would also rec Boscastle High Street - that is a horrible grind....

So will you riding all 100 of he sequel too? :wink:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I think I read that Llanberis Pass will be included, IMHO a surprising omission from vol. 1.

I think Asterton Bank is also in the new collection, a steep, stony climb up the Long Mynd. I'll be interested to see if either of Shropshire's Clee Hills or the road to Anchor (beautiful area on the Shropshire/Powys border) warrant inclusion.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I think Asterton Bank is also in the new collection, a steep, stony climb up the Long Mynd

I do hope not---it is horridly hard and I think qualifies as being the most sustained steep, 20-25% section in the UK, incl Hardknott etc. It`s about 1/2 mile solid unrelenting badly surfaced, gravelley road :(:(
  • By Blakey do you mean the hill out of Church houses?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Pross wrote:
    What do you think will be on the list in the new book (or what would be your suggestions?).

Llangattock Mountain - there's the main road up this mountain which joins Llangynidr Mountain, featured in the original book, at the top and which is a pretty tough climb. However, there's another road up and I don't know if the climb has a name but this single track road starts in Llangattock village and goes up the eastern side of the mountain to the top of Clydach gorge. After a few short, steep climbs the main climb starts. In total it gains 750 feet in about 1.8 miles with several sections of 20 - 25% gradient and the first mile averages over 11%. It's off the beaten track a bit and a narrow road so not as well known as the Tumble or Llangynidr Mountain, which are in the area and made the first book, but it is a far tougher climb.

it's a nasty wee climb, I think the cuckoo is a bit steeper, though the climb on to the Hafod is quieter and more attractive plus a cattle grid.
  • hugo15
    By Blakey do you mean the hill out of Church houses?

Yes, that's the one.
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    Waddington fell and bowland knotts Lancashire
  • hugo15 wrote:
    By Blakey do you mean the hill out of Church houses?

Yes, that's the one.

I'd suggest the climb from Lealholme to Fryupdale too (AKA the never ending climb).
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • simon_e
    JamesB wrote:
    I think Asterton Bank is also in the new collection, a steep, stony climb up the Long Mynd

I do hope not---it is horridly hard and I think qualifies as being the most sustained steep, 20-25% section in the UK, incl Hardknott etc. It`s about 1/2 mile solid unrelenting badly surfaced, gravelley road :(:(
    That may be part of the reason for its inclusion. It is a notable climb, and that's surely what the book is about.

Asterton Bank was on the route of the Wild Edric sportive a year or two ago but comments online suggested quite a few riders didn't appreciate its inclusion (despite the lovely views from the top). There is a less taxing route over the Long Mynd from that side - through Ratlinghope, Darnford valley and over Robin Hood's Butts.
  • mroli
    Simon - Asterton Bank was on the original RAB route and only about 20 of the 200 participants got up it. James Cracknell snapped his chain on it and said he has never been so relieved!

Speaking of JOGLE - Paul Hill in Penzance will be worth a shout. You cycle the length of the country and in the very last town you visit, there is a final sod of a climb....
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Will hopefully be some more in Scotland this time, i enjoyed the book but it definitely felt a bit sparse in its coverage for Scotland.

I'd likes to see C11 in (Glendaruel to Otter Ferry although it is thard the other way too) in Argyll. Tough climb, singletrack road and some unbelievable scenary...however it is a road that alot of people dont know about as it is quite hard to find unless you know where it is. A bigger omission would be the Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle, nice climb and scenary and one of very few roads in the UK with the golden combination of hairpins/witchbacks + good quality tarmac.

Some other ones - the Hells Glen route up to the Rest and be Thankful is better than the main road. Much quieter and better scenary.

In terms of popularity with cyclists then the Tak me Doon and Crow Road in the campsies the String Road in Arran would be good choices too.
    SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell them all about how great our roads are or they'll all be up here :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • simon_e
    mroli wrote:
    Simon - Asterton Bank was on the original RAB route and only about 20 of the 200 participants got up it. James Cracknell snapped his chain on it and said he has never been so relieved!
    I thought it was particularly sadistic of the organisers to take the RAB participants up there (and down the Burway?), especially as there are a number of nicer, thoroughly enjoyable alternatives to the A49. The views from the Portway are terrific, but I'm not sure they are best appreciated half way through an end-to-end.
  • mroli
    My wife bottled the drive over Asterton Bank - was too hairy for her with a load of cyclists pushing their bikes up. I thought it was a good thing to put it in - really gave people something to moan about! Mind you there was the climb up through Glencoe on that ride as well and that should go in - not particularly hard, but long and incredibly beautiful.
  • apoland
    apoland Posts: 1
    For a locally infamous beast in an area with loads of killer hills.... Church Lane (Mytholms Steeps) out of Hebden Bridge in Calderdale. 1.5Km long at 13% average. First 700 metres average 16% with 100 metre 25% ramp. (Measured on GPS computer so real!) Much better known in this area than Halifax Lane just down the road in Luddenden thats in the first book.... Its a brute! :shock:
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    edited April 2012
    Bushcombe Lane, one of three that climb up Cleeve Hill just outside Cheltenham. Just a short little lane with a couple of bends... :twisted:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • mroli
    Shortly after finishing the first 100 climbs on Saturday, Simon Warren (himself!) gave me a copy of the new book to "inspire" me! Safe to say, there will be ongoing debate about what should go in the third book!
  • Pross
    mroli wrote:
    Shortly after finishing the first 100 climbs on Saturday, Simon Warren (himself!) gave me a copy of the new book to "inspire" me! Safe to say, there will be ongoing debate about what should go in the third book!

When are you starting out on completing them ;)
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    random man wrote:
    I'd expect to see The Struggle, from Ambleside to Kirkstone Pass - one for the masochists I reckon!

That's on my 'to do list' when we're in Ambleside in a couple of weeks.

Bob
  • mroli
    Pross wrote:

Finished 'em already :D

Nah - think I will do these in a far more leisurely manner. The problem with doing them all in a rush was that I often didn't get to do the riding AROUND the climbs that I really wanted to do.

With the new book - you have to go overseas three times!!!!
  • Pross
    mroli wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Finished 'em already :D

Nah - think I will do these in a far more leisurely manner. The problem with doing them all in a rush was that I often didn't get to do the riding AROUND the climbs that I really wanted to do.

With the new book - you have to go overseas three times!!!!

So Snaefell has made it then? ;)
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    Mr roli, is Gummers Howe in? It should be, also what another guy said, waddington fell, bowland know.knotts (doing it tomorrow) and surely great dunn fell.