Creak click clunk squeak tick toc skip rattle feck off

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
Seriously WTF do I have to do to get a quiet bike for more than 24 hrs ?????

Not only was (perhaps still is) my carbon bike clicking the whole ride on sat and my commuter slipping gears and rattling for over a week but now my new FGSS has a weird carbon and or BB sounding creak when pushing hard.

aaahhhhh
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Stop oiling your chains, the squeaking will soon drown out most other noises. You'll know the squeak is the chain and easily sorted, so you won't have to worry about it. Sorted.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    I'm afraid that it is your knees. I recommend titanium replacements. Bling.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's the nut on the saddle I'm afraid. The cure is to dose liberally with fermented vegetable products.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    itboffin wrote:

Not only was (perhaps still is) my carbon bike clicking the whole ride on sat and my commuter slipping gears and rattling for over a week but now my new FGSS has a weird carbon and or BB sounding creak when pushing hard.

aaahhhhh

Earplugs?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    I hate you all :evil:

I've dispatched the PF to each of you for tomorrows commute, be sure and pack at least 3 spare tubes tomorrow.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

aaahhhhh

Carbon: gears. They do that sometimes. Bike 2 has been doing it for a bit now. Next time I service it the noise will go away. Guaranteed. And I will have no idea why.

Commuter. Slipping gears? Index them, you lazy oaf! Or cough up for a new chain & cassette. Easy.

FGSS. Bet it is the seatpost or saddle. Try pushing hard out of the saddle.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Planned solutions

Carbon = New bike
    commuter = hung up in garage and ignored
    Fgss = New freewheels order all cheap and prob worse, which I'll stick with until I finally admit defeat and buy a WI
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Instead of fettling in your shed, why not let a professional give the carbon bike a thorough going over. Creaking and squeaking throughout the Amstel is gonna drive you nuts.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Quick way to prove it's the freewheel:- Flip the hub and ride it fixed. Not my idea of "fun" but it did prove a point.

Also, if you are going to get a WI freewheel, let me know, could be interested in one myself as my latest Shimano one is deteriorating rapidly already. Might save on postage at least.

As for the carbon bike, I'm with IP when it comes to a professional fettler. I had a creak once that was pinned down to being a loose gear hanger, just about the last thing I'd have looked at.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • veronese68
    Could it not be the hernia you were asking about causing you to make all sorts of strange noises and the bikes are actually silent?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:
    I hate you all :evil:

I've dispatched the PF to each of you for tomorrows commute, be sure and pack at least 3 spare tubes tomorrow.

B*stard.....it was you that sent the PF to me last week then, 3 p*nctures in 1 week......my online tube ordering skills are improving though - 6 tubes for £20 free delivery from Evans!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I had the worlds most annpying squeak on the CAAD9.

Every time I stood up it squealed like a hamster in a cider press...

Had the stem of, cleaned and tightened, nope.

Had the steerer tube out, regreased and seated the bearings, nope.

Stem off again and greased the spacers - worked! for 10 hours.

Finally took it into LBS and dumped it on them . . . . .

They were a bit stumped.... but then the wrench wrangler cleaned up the inside of the fork drop outs and sufaces of the hub . . . Silence . . . . .

A bit of dirt between the forks and hub, who wouldathunk it...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin wrote:

aaahhhhh

Carbon: Describe said clicking. Is it once-or-twice per pedal revolution or more frequent?

Commuter: New chain and cassette will sort the slipping gears, though as it's a commuting bike, a proper clean of the bike and re-oiling of the cables will probably be needed too.

FGSS: Remove crankset, clean, grease and re-fit.
  • attica

I'd leave that until later, check the minor - easy to do stuff first before looking at the BB.

Pedals perhaps?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

I'd leave that until later, check the minor - easy to do stuff first before looking at the BB.

Pedals perhaps?

BB would be fine, I usually find that the cranks being slightly loose causes more squeak. I suspect the pedals for the ticking of the carbon bike (they would need removing and re-installing with much grease).
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Attica wrote:

Pedals perhaps?

BB would be fine, I usually find that the cranks being slightly loose causes more squeak. I suspect the pedals for the ticking of the carbon bike (they would need removing and re-installing with much grease).
    Did the BB on my Sunday bike at the weekend as it had developed a few squeaks under load. Surprisingly easy to do, provided you've got the right tools of course. It didn't stop the squeaking but a liberal dose of chain oil sorted that out.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    itboffin wrote:
    Fgss = New freewheels order all cheap and prob worse, which I'll stick with until I finally admit defeat and buy a WI

A WI freewheel is money very well spent. They last for ever and sound awesome too....
  • veronese68
    Gussio wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

A WI freewheel is money very well spent. They last for ever and sound awesome too....

Do they knit them, or are they baked?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    :lol:
  • itboffin
    Yes yes yes i've tried flipping to FG and the noise went away - how bloody horrible was that though, yuk!

Carbon has been greased to within an inch of it's life and if it dares creak it'll be banished to the garage with the rest of the fleet.

I know the commuter needs a new chain very soon and perhaps a new cassette but it doesnt stop me being annoyed.
  • attica
    Get thee to White Industries!

Can't afford to this month myself but it's on my shopping list!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Attica wrote:

Yeah, after the crappy Shimano freewheel on the Day One froze open one morning, I stumped up the extra for the White Industries. Definitely money well spent, got it for £50 from an eBay seller in the US (who still sells them, but he's put the postage up a lot for international buyers. I suspect he's had trouble since, as his listing is now full of disclaimers). They really are well made and have a great sound.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:

Most people aware of them want one but sadly few can afford them. I'll wait for Camelot to pick the right numbers first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Hmm interesting, as I'm not yet convinced that FG is the way to go I was looking for a freewheel that's better than the Shimano "built to the exacting standards that BMX riders demand" :lol: I've got fitted.

WI you say ?

Hmm...
    Misguided Idealist
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    While rather noisy now the freewheel with my revolution track is still going. Which considering the abuse isn't bad at all.
  • Fireblade96
    While rather noisy now the freewheel with my revolution track is still going. Which considering the abuse isn't bad at all.

My Shimano freewheel never sounded right, it was always a bit wobbly - and now its decidedly sloppy. The thing is, I can replace it 4 times for the price of a WI freewheel.
    Misguided Idealist
  • While rather noisy now the freewheel with my revolution track is still going. Which considering the abuse isn't bad at all.

My Shimano freewheel never sounded right, it was always a bit wobbly - and now its decidedly sloppy. The thing is, I can replace it 4 times for the price of a WI freewheel.

And you'll probably have to.

I'll admit they're pricey, but after my Shimano one froze last winter meaning that when I turned my legs, the wheel did nothing, almost exactly equidistant from the nearest bike shop and my home (roughly four miles to either), when the snow was 18 inches deep and it was -14 degrees, I thought that the extra was worth it for reliability.

The thing is, they aren't really that expensive compared to some other bike bits. I paid £50 for mine, which may be a lot for a freewheel, but it's not that much for a cassette, or a freehub, or a set of pedals...

They are worth the extra in my opinion, a superbly made bit of kit that gives me every confidence.
  • attica
    I've had my Shimano one since January, it's already giving the telltale tick tick tick when I'm pedalling (i can stop it by freewheeling briefly and then starting to pedal again - repeat until the click stops) I think it's where the splines don't all engage evenly so the body of the whole thing starts to rotate off centre. After a while you get the odd click when you're out of the saddle, eventually you're able to make it click at will until finally you end up with a box full of neutrals.

Fortunately I've been driven mad by the clicking long before reaching that last stage
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    yep click click click all the way home, i did also take the front wheel out and grease the contact points.
  • Fireblade96
    Well, the bike has made the decision for me - on the way to work this morning (riding FG) the freewheel on the "flop" side dismantled itself, spewed its bearings all over the path, and the component parts started rattling around on the end of the axle. So I had to whip the wheel out and take as much of the feckin thing off as I could !

Anyone want to see if we can get a group discount on WI freewheels ?
    Until then, I'm riding fixed...
    Misguided Idealist