First proper off since starting commuting

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ouch, hope you get better soon.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Sketchley wrote:
    How do I go about SAR request? Where do I start?

Do you know which bus number it was - there are quite a few that head down that way. If so, you can then work out which bus company run that particular route and put in writing a Subject Access Request for them to check if footage was a) shot, b) request them to store it (not wipe it!) and c) to try and gain access to it. The latter request might be met with fobbing off tactics as it will most likely contain information (i.e film) of other individuals as well as (hopefully) yourself. Your legal bods will be able to advise you on all of this, I am sure.

Best of luck.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck, heal up fast.

Makes me wonder though, how is the intro of the new Routemaster going to play with the increase in cycle Lanes? This sort of thing could become a frequent occurrence.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Origamist wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    How do I go about SAR request? Where do I start?

Do you know which bus number it was - there are quite a few that head down that way. If so, you can then work out which bus company run that particular route and put in writing a Subject Access Request for them to check if footage was a) shot, b) request them to store it (not wipe it!) and c) to try and gain access to it. The latter request might be met with fobbing off tactics as it will most likely contain information (i.e film) of other individuals as well as (hopefully) yourself. Your legal bods will be able to advise you on all of this, I am sure.

Best of luck.

All of this but do it quickish-today if at all possible. Bus companies have a habit of quickly erasing cctv rather than keeping for 28 days.
  • Origamist
    Bad luck, heal up fast.

Makes me wonder though, how is the intro of the new Routemaster going to play with the increase in cycle Lanes? This sort of thing could become a frequent occurrence.

It could potentially be more of a problem, but I understand when a conductor is not on the bus, the rear doors are closed. When the rear doors are open the conductors will be on the rear platform to facilitate boarding and egress at the appropriate time. I can still envisage a few mishaps though, but mostly as a consequence of pedestrians hopping off the moving bus and hitting the tarmac - I saw that YBF moment countless times on the old routemaster and managed it myself with the aid of alcohol.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    To be fair if I was approaching a routemaser particularly in traffic spidey sense would be switched on and looking for it. In this case it was focused on someone stepping between buses not out of them.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Hopefully the woman has seen the error of her ways and is suitably stiff this morning. Please also report the incident to TFL regarding an accident happening on one of their super highways to help add to the voices to stop spending £1.2m per mile on sh*te infrastructure.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Origamist
    Sketchley wrote:
    To be fair if I was approaching a routemaser particularly in traffic spidey sense would be switched on and looking for it. In this case it was focused on someone stepping between buses not out of them.....

How was the bus passenger, BTW?

CS7 claimed another forumite last week as bassjunkieuk hit a 911 GT3 near Clapham South - thankfully it was a low speed impact.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Bad luck mate! Sounds like the bus driver royally f*cked up.

On the plus side, however, you can claim your frame was scratched in the accident and get it resprayed a decent colour. That reminds me, must take some pics of the Bat Equilibrium.

Heal well!
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    I would now imagine that the woman will also be trying to sue the bus company, and blaming the driver for letting her off there... wouldn't surprise me.

Driver was at fault for opening the doors, and even more so for not checking lane was clear too! Muppet.

Hope you are on the mend.
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Origamist wrote:
    CS7 claimed another forumite last week as bassjunkieuk hit a 911 GT3 near Clapham South - thankfully it was a low speed impact.

Ha! Just seen that one.

(Here it is for those who haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyVP3073Ug)
    I can only stop so fast!

:lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

MTFU stop bitching about your near death experience and get the beerZ in
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

I lost interest when I found out i couldn't make a joke about his self love hand being out of action.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greg T wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

I lost interest when I found out i couldn't make a joke about his self love hand being out of action.

It's "The Stranger" he is concerned about being out of action...n'est pas?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Greg T wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

Look GT a butterfly --->

:roll:

So what you wearing? :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    itboffin wrote:
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

Says the bloke who needed a blanket at the pub.....

Beer would be good....
    --
    Chris

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Ha! Just seen that one.

I can only stop so fast!

What a whiny little twerp the Porsche driver is. Ah, did the big bad cyclist scratch your wittle pwide and joy?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sketchley wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    60 wpm tee hee ghey

Says the bloke who needed a blanket at the pub.....

Beer would be good....

FFS would you two get a room? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sketchley
    Well that was easy, phoned the bus company to find out who to write too for SAR and they have admitted liability. Driver submitted a report that evening and it won't be contested.
    --
    Chris

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    Excellent, that's a result. Do buses have CCTV on the driver so they can see the woman was demanding to be let off in case she tries to sue them?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Sketchley wrote:
    Well that was easy, phoned the bus company to find out who to write too for SAR and they have admitted liability. Driver submitted a report that evening and it won't be contested.

N+1? 8) :wink:

(you could go down the whole suing their ar*e off route, or just go: you bust me bike, gimme a knew one guv)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • sketchley
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent, that's a result. Do buses have CCTV on the driver so they can see the woman was demanding to be let off in case she tries to sue them?

Don't know, don't care really.
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

N+1? 8) :wink:

(you could go down the whole suing their ar*e off route, or just go: you bust me bike, gimme a knew one guv)

Not going to count chickens but n+1 went through my mind.

Bike appears fine, but not ridden it since so they can pay to get it checked out properly, I won't claim for stuff that isn't broken though as that's not me. I will be claiming for broken hand and inconvience it causes plus the increased travel expense i'm incuring.

I also need to keep fitness up over next few weeks which means either a turbo trainer or going to the gym.
    --
    Chris

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    Sketchley wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Don't know, don't care really.

Sorry, don't expect you to care in the slightest. just try to keep your chin up and heal fast.
    I was thinking aloud with respect to idiots that demand something and then complain when they get it but it goes wrong.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I type knew when I meant new.

The shame :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sketchley wrote:
    I was prepared for someone stepping out in front f the bus but not off it! Bike is fine, unlike my right hand, think I've broken a finger. Currently in a&e.
    Oooo. Sorry to read that. Small consolation but it could have been worse. Hope the recovery is full and quick.
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Ha! Just seen that one.

I can only stop so fast!

I am probably going to ruffle a few feathers here but why does bassjunkieuk get so much support in the Youtube comments?
    Passing a stopped bus at a junction that you can't see at speed is simply asking for this to happen sooner or later. :?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    daviesee wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    I was prepared for someone stepping out in front f the bus but not off it! Bike is fine, unlike my right hand, think I've broken a finger. Currently in a&e.
    Oooo. Sorry to read that. Small consolation but it could have been worse. Hope the recovery is full and quick.
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Origamist wrote:

Ha! Just seen that one.

I can only stop so fast!

I am probably going to ruffle a few feathers here but why does bassjunkieuk get so much support in the Youtube comments?
    Passing a stopped bus at a junction that you can't see at speed is simply asking for this to happen sooner or later. :?

Because he's in a lane which has right of way?

if the car driver can't see past the bus, wtf is he doing sticking his car there?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

if the car driver can't see past the bus, wtf is he doing sticking his car there?
    Bus stops in heavy traffic to let car out. Common practice.
    Car edges out. Common practice.
    Bike going too fast to stop hits car.

Or is it just cos it's a Porsche?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Nothing to do with the car.

if I can't see what's coming, I'm not going to put my car in the way of something that might be coming.

Rules of the road innit.
  • daviesee wrote:

Bus stops in heavy traffic to let car out. Common practice.
    Car edges out. Common practice.
    Bike going too fast to stop hits car.

Or is it just cos it's a Porsche?

Not sure you'd even need to stop, surely going round the front of the car would be an option. That said, BJUK definitely had right of way.