Can you Justify wearing a Helmet

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Have you forgotten how good it was as a kid riding through the woods on a warm summer's day with the wind in your hair, feeling free? I had...
    Nope, it feels just as good with a helmet on IMO, especially as Im now fitter and can push myself more!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Riding a bicycle is at its purest in shorts, a t-shirt, and trainers.
    See many of these out in Swinley, no helmets, chav looking, riding BSOs or something possibly stolen.

Pure bike riding ;)
  • Alright, you knew perfectly well what I meant... ;)

I generally find that the less complicated something is, the more fun it often is... I occasionally enjoy myself more on a 30min pootle round flat trails with the dog when I've just jumped on a bike in the aforementioned shorts/t-shirt/trainers than on a three-hour ride where I've actually put on specific shorts, gloves, helmet, shoes, etc.

Cycling can be many things to many people, and not all of them require protective gear.

Just sayin'...
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I occasionally enjoy myself more on a 30min pootle round flat trails with the dog when I've just jumped on a bike in the aforementioned shorts/t-shirt/trainers than on a three-hour ride where I've actually put on specific shorts, gloves, helmet, shoes, etc.
    Maybe you're in the wrong sport/passtime then
    Just sayin'...
    Yep, me too.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I occasionally enjoy myself more on a 30min pootle round flat trails with the dog when I've just jumped on a bike in the aforementioned shorts/t-shirt/trainers than on a three-hour ride where I've actually put on specific shorts, gloves, helmet, shoes, etc.
    ???
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ???
    If he doesn't get "that" feeling from a big day out in the hills, then it's not for him, is it?
    I don't like Bingo, tiddlywinks, or swimming. So I don't do them.
  • bennett_346
    ???
    If he doesn't get "that" feeling from a big day out in the hills, then it's not for him, is it?
    Maybe not the kind of mtb you do but if he enjoys pootling about then he does like the sport, just a different part of it. It's bikeradar not gnarradar.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ???
    Maybe not the kind of mtb you do but if he enjoys pootling about then he does like the sport, just a different part of it. It's bikeradar not gnarradar.
    You may be right. I might have misread it as "pootling round the park". Which I wouldn't class as mountain biking. On account of it being, you know, not.
  • bennett_346
    You may be right. I might have misread it as "pootling round the park". Which I wouldn't class as mountain biking. On account of it being, you know, not.
    What would you class it as by the way?
  • I did only say "occasionally"...!

Believe me, I love going for a 2-3hr singletrack blast round Tunnel Hill, Swinley, Surrey Hills - but sometimes I just want to go for a ride on a bicycle that doesn't have to involve knackering myself out or the faff involved with getting all my kit together etc. Hence why I also have a knackered old bike with V-brakes, RST forks that have pretty much seized solid, gears that don't always shift perfectly, but that I can jump on wearing whatever and just head out with the dog at a moment's notice if I feel like it. And yes, on those occasions, I dispense with a helmet and gloves (even though I'm offroad, and not always on flat smooth paths either) because I don't feel that the situation warrants it.

Is that alright with everyone? All I'm saying is that merely the fact that cycling offroad does not always merit the wearing of a helmet.

It's all bikes, it's all good. :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Just, cycling.
  • bennett_346
    Is that alright with everyone?
    Yup, faff free is the way to go!
  • bennett_346
    Just, cycling.
    He never claimed to be a "mountain biker".
  • Is anything in the south of England actually "mountain" biking, really...!?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Mountain Bike was originally just a brand name. When I got my first proper MTB in the dim distant days of the early 80s it was called ATB, All Terrain Biking so really you can ride wherever you please its all good. It doesnt have to be up a mountain I went MTBiking today and never got higher than about 40 foot above sea level and that was a bridge over a disused railway line.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, and like I said, I misread him and thought he preferred pootling round the park to mountain biking.
    You really want to make an argument out of this huh?
  • bennett_346
    No, and like I said, I misread him and thought he preferred pootling round the park to mountain biking.
    I really did think you'd have grown up by now, but i guess some things never change.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I really did think you'd have grown up by now, but i guess some things never change.
    Sigh, go on then, what am I being supposedly childish about?
  • pingu66
    pingu66 Posts: 29
    Its not a pissing contest!!!!

I would like to see all childrens bikes sold with a helmet personally. What would that cost manufacturers? £10.

Also it gets them used to wearing helmets. The number of times I see young lads in the woods on jumps without helmets scares me, the rangers do their best but its not a legal requirement, not even sure if byelaws could be applied. I also see young lads belting out of the park straight over the main road.

Now I certainly do not want to make entry to the sport any more difficult or costly than it is, nor do I necessarily support the imposition of new laws and firmly believe in freedom. We are talking of extremes and personally I can see a nice summers day, shorts and t's with the dog having a pootle as perfectly fine. There has to be a common sense element. Things like riding on pavements? Well I have been knocked over by a cyclist on a pavement, hilarious as I was stepping out the kebab house and ended up covered in kebab by some smack head! Had to buy another kebab. ARGH. Sometime I work in London and the pavements are crowded and someone goes by on a bike causing havoc. Othertimes the safest place is the pavement, nobody around riding nice and slow, pootling!!!!

Also the old dear popping the shops with her basket on the front in the country etc would not necessarily mandate a helmet.

What we need are laws that enhance safety and awareness of cycling. I personally would make every motorist ride a bike for a year after passing their test but thats the Drachonian part of me. The more moderate part would like to education in schools about cycling, more in the driving test to make people aware. Cyclist who want to use roads should be insured like other road users and potentially a small tax. Difficult to tax as I would only want it to be like £2 so its more expensive to administer than collect so it wont happen. The reason I say this is because of the following.

Cyclists do cause accidents, some are stupid and a liability and should not be on the road. However the vast majority are fantastic, chilled and really really great people.

In the event of an accident there is a recourse as to liability, I have had my car damaged by a pissed cyclist riding into into it off the pavement, in the dark, no lights.

Police should get involved in educating rather than harassing. Now I am not a massive advocate of the police but if they actually did do something effective and engage people there would be less hassle, more support of the police etc. Educate riders, educate motorists, not just about cycling but generally. Get on the beat and stop blue lighting it to the chippy!!!!!!! or McDonalds!!!!!!!!!

Its easy to sort out, if your belting down a road either on the way to work or as a roady, you need insurance, a helmet, if its dark lights etc. Or on an MTB on the way to or from a ride off road.

If you are popping down to the local park in shorts and t's. Go and have fun, enjoy your day and the sun, when its out. Above all take care.

If you are bombing around the woods, get insurance and a helmet. Most land is owned by someone so make certain "cycling" helmet mandatory. Not tootling round the shops or park.

Under 16s mandatory, even if its only round the park.

We really need a shake up of the cycling laws, or rules as now there are probably more cyclists than ever on our roads and land in general.

At all times be courteous, as most cyclists are as we were all learneres once. Obey the highway code. For Gods sake stop at red lights!!!!!

Just for the record I am a driver and a cyclist so do see both sides.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TL:DR
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    pingu66 wrote:
    We really need a shake up of the cycling laws, or rules as now there are probably more cyclists than ever on our roads and land in general.
    authoritarian-parenting.jpg

Blah blah blah, we don't want to listen to your authoritarian views. If i needed the law to tell me how to avoid injury i'd move to america.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    pingu66 wrote:
    Its not a pissing contest!!!!

I would like to see all childrens bikes sold with a helmet personally. What would that cost manufacturers? £10.

Also it gets them used to wearing helmets. The number of times I see young lads in the woods on jumps without helmets scares me, the rangers do their best but its not a legal requirement, not even sure if byelaws could be applied. I also see young lads belting out of the park straight over the main road.

But here's the cincher. Nobody's telling you to do the same. Let natural selection do the job it's meant to do, and let people choose their own level of risk. Everybody dies eventually.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I can justify wearing one at all times. Been hit by cars twice, 2 x broken lids suggest they helped prevent further injury. These both happened on a mooch to the shops. Also, I've come off a fair few times on trails.. many times my head has had some form of impact with the ground/trees etc, so again, I like to think that wearing my lid helped again.

Personally, I like to think of it as a nice little safety net, in case I do come off.

Still, each to their own, as Yeehaa says, natural selection, freedom of choice etc. This sums it up for me though:

helmet-3_25.jpg
  • I'm happy to leave it to personal choice. Just be aware of the risks of not wearing one plus the limitations of the protection that they provide.
  • pingu66
    pingu66 Posts: 29
    Well done Bennett_346.

Taking a single comment and making it look like that is my only view. A shake up of cycling laws to protect cyclists more. That includes penalising cyclists who act like idiots and motorists who harrass cyclists. Plus access etc. So posting an isolated section of a post hmm, me authoritarian, I think not, certainly if you new me. Yes choice as to wear a helmet is fine but there needs to be common sense as well.

So Bennett if you want to be constructive fine but all you have done in this thread is copy specific sections of posts without actually adding anything of merit.

My views are my views and I am actually moderate, however much could be done to protect cyclists, like decent cycle lanes.

Get back under your rock.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Having recently had a crash at over 30kph.
    I impacted the ground, cracked my helmet, bruised my head, was unconscious for approx 5mins and took over 40mins for my marbles to stop rattling and for me to know where I was.
    I had headaches for a week and very vague memory for about 2 days.
    I would never go out without a helmet.
    Yes, you may break bones or dislocate things in a crash, but they can and will heal.
    If you bash your brain thats it, there is no healing that can ever fix it. Memories will be gone, you can get mood swings, speech could be damaged. You could be reliant on others for the rest of your life as you wont be able to make any decisions or even remember where your socks are.

There are people out riding with prosthetic limbs and nerve damage. You dont see any people with severe head injuries still riding.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    its a risk i guess that some ppl take!!! some stuff isnt practical ie xc with all the gear on would be hard as f*#k....
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • xmadxmoex
    xmadxmoex Posts: 135
    After a silly fall pratting around involving a micro scooter and a tarmac covered hill ive always wore a helmet unless quickly popping to shops

Still got the small scars on my chin and hand where i landed - serves me right thats for sure and very glad i didnt end up worse off.

My son is also only allowed on the back of the bike if hes wearing his helmet, when hes older and understands the risk it will be up to him to decide but i would always reccomend it.

Also agree with anything kids-cycle related should be sold with a helmet, would make it seem 'normal' for them going forward i would imagine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt it would help. really. I see loads of kids riding to school carrying their helmets instead of wearing them. Assume it's just not cool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools