75 miler this weekend? Advice please!

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I've just found out about a local 75 miler that I could do, am currently only doing c.40 miles but building up to a 100 and the route is easier than my regular training route - what should I do?? Should I go for it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Route here: http://www.rennieway.org/

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Do it. The first 50 are the worst anyway. You'll coast the last 25.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its just a case of finding a good pace and taking on enough food. I'm really bad at the later part.

Summary: MTFU and ride it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you can do 40 then you can do 75.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Pace yourself and keep yourself fed and watered. You'll be fine. If you can cycle 40 miles regularly, you've got the base fitness to ride for long distances.
  • secretsam
    Hmmm...4/4 say "Man up" so that's what I've decided to do, heaven help me...

• cje
    cje Posts: 148
    SecretSam wrote:
    Hmmm...4/4 say "Man up" so that's what I've decided to do, heaven help me...

You didn't include the 'Give it a go, you'll be okay option'. (I hate the phrase 'man up')
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    What's the worst that can happen?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

He could be attacked a troupe of marauding honey badgers on rollerskates with freakin' LASERS attached to their heads. That'd be pretty bad.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

You have to ring home because you've bonked and didn't take any money for food. Cos that's never happened...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

all i need to say here young man is "Dr Pepper"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    +1
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    davis wrote:

He could be attacked a troupe of marauding honey badgers on rollerskates with freakin' LASERS attached to their heads. That'd be pretty bad.
    Nah. It doesn't go through Northampton.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Asprilla wrote:

+1
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Go for it but remember that it is not a race.
    You can have as many cafe stops as you wish.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    Anyone got any survival tips, especially food wise???

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eat and drink early, little and often. On longer rides I start eating after about 30mins. Tend to take a bit of drink every 10 minutes or so
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SecretSam wrote:
    Anyone got any survival tips, especially food wise???

Eat regularly.

Little and often. People have different requirements, but for me, it can be as much as every 15 minutes or so ( though that is a little extreme).
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Asprilla wrote:
    And if you can do 75, you can do 100

See how it works?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ten vital tips for the OP

1: Don't take any food or water to keep the weight down.
    2: Ride as hard and fast as you can for as long as you can from the start. So that if you bonk, you are closer to the end.
    3: Don't go for a wee before you start. The urge to relieve yourself will make you ride that much faster.
    4: Degrease your chain before the start. The squeaking noise will spur you on to get home and give it a good lube job.
    5: To avoid being called a MAMIL, don't wear lycra. Jeans and a hoodie will be fine.
    6: Wear your best new bits of kit, ideally stuff you've never worn before. The threat of being stuck in ill-fitting clothing and getting blisters is highly over-rated.
    7: Run your tyres well below the recommend pressure. This will result in a much more comfortable ride.
    8: Try SPDs for the first time. In at the deep end and all that.
    9: Try a new position on the bike. Maybe put your saddle up an inch and your handlebars down about the same. You'll be so aero!
    10: Always ride at the front of any group. It proves you are a man!

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I like the look of that - might bear it in mind for next year. Try to do a charity ride with my son each year.

Am glad about the responses you are getting as I can happily cycle 40-50 miles in a day but have signed up to do the Asthma Beach to Beach which is 70 miles a day for 2 days running. Did a 50 mile hilly route a couple of weeks ago and pushed for a faster average speed so that I would be able to finish the 70 at a reasonable time - was a bit harder than I expected but on the real event I wont need to push quite as hard as I did on my training run.

Wont be doing many long runs before the day - hopefully a few more 50s but fitting in the time to take a whole day for a dry run 70 before May is going to be difficult.

Am hoping that at a comfortable speed I wont find the 70 much harder than a 50...
  • secretsam
    apreading wrote:
    Am glad about the responses you are getting as I can happily cycle 40-50 miles in a day but have signed up to do the Asthma Beach to Beach which is 70 miles a day for 2 days running.

Where's Asthma Beach???

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Providing you have the base it should be no bother. Do go for a recovery spin the next day though, it works wonders.
  • EKE_38BPM
    SecretSam wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Am glad about the responses you are getting as I can happily cycle 40-50 miles in a day but have signed up to do the Asthma Beach to Beach which is 70 miles a day for 2 days running.

Where's Asthma Beach???
    Just up the coast from Echo Beach.

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    SecretSam wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Where's Asthma Beach???

Bournemouth to Brighton - through the New Forest and then the South Downs

http://www.asthma.org.uk/what_you_can_do/challenge_events/uk_challenges/beach_to_beach_bik_1.html
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ten vital tips for the OP

1: Don't take any food or water to keep the weight down.
    2: Ride as hard and fast as you can for as long as you can from the start. So that if you bonk, you are closer to the end.
    3: Don't go for a wee before you start. The urge to relieve yourself will make you ride that much faster.
    4: Degrease your chain before the start. The squeaking noise will spur you on to get home and give it a good lube job.
    5: To avoid being called a MAMIL, don't wear lycra. Jeans and a hoodie will be fine.
    6: Wear your best new bits of kit, ideally stuff you've never worn before. The threat of being stuck in ill-fitting clothing and getting blisters is highly over-rated.
    7: Run your tyres well below the recommend pressure. This will result in a much more comfortable ride.
    8: Try SPDs for the first time. In at the deep end and all that.
    9: Try a new position on the bike. Maybe put your saddle up an inch and your handlebars down about the same. You'll be so aero!
    10: Always ride at the front of any group. It proves you are a man!

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

This post needs to be a sticky in every Road Forum :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    DesWeller wrote:

Genii, the pair of us.

• Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Go for it, the first time we did our local charity 100 mile ride we had only done 30 mile training rides. Made it round alive.
    We did knock an hour and half off the time the next year after some proper training.
    Both times were great fun though.

Nice weather and group of friends really helps.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    According to the Beeb you can do pretty much anything with no training: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17456672
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edds wrote:
    According to the Beeb you can do pretty much anything with no training: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17456672

Excellent news; I shall ruminate on that whilst I do my first 116km on Sunday, lightened by lack of anything over 20 miles, yet weighed down with EKE's top tips.