Deeep rims

2»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thought about some 30mm Kinlin rims? Black, unbranded. I use them year-round, but they're not bling.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Rolf F wrote:
    davis wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    IMG_1485-PS_s.jpg

Yikes. Hardest working bike ever?

Nope - most neglected bike ever!

Indeed. This may sound harsh, but I'm not sure you should be allowed a nice bike.

<shakes head disappointedly>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I did stipulate any bling needs to be bullet proof ;)

It's not far of the hardest working bike, see SC stats page ;) but that's what you get riding for one week during gritter season in London! You'll all be pleased to hear I stripped it down to the frame and built it back up nice and shiny.
    I prescribe you a pair of full-length mudguards

Deffo need a prescription of crud catchers, SKS race blades are crap.
    cjcp wrote:
    Thought about some 30mm Kinlin rims? Black, unbranded. I use them year-round, but they're not bling.

thanks might fit the bill!
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    My fleet's got Rigida DP18's all round, totally bullet proof, rims so deep you need like a three foot long valve on your tube.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Indeed. This may sound harsh, but I'm not sure you should be allowed a nice bike.

<shakes head disappointedly>

Actually, the dog fang is quite funny - as if the chain would be able to reach the frame to cause damage if it did come off :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    corshamjim wrote:
    Rigida come to mind, for example:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rigida-dp18- ... prod23240/

I've not tried them myself, but am very pleased with their XPlorer rims (more of a touring style rim) which I built wheels for on my Pashley.

That is what I have built on ultgra hubs by Harry Rowland. He recommended them for me weighing in at 18st and hitting potholes in London. They are very strong rims and have stayed true in 3,000+ miles so far of london commuting, when previous wheels failed around the 2k mark. They are not that expensive but are heavy(ish) and unless you are a big bloke, like I am, a set of wheels built with them might be a tad over engineered.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • iPete
    A wet F1 race has meant a good google this morning and the best candidate so far are Kinlin XR-380 but would need importing from Germany. American Classic rims are seemingly impossible to get hold of and spotted these Carbonzones but don't fancy the Chinese route.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/42mm-alloy-ca ... 0693863042
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Those Carbonzone wheels are alloy wrapped on carbon, not fully carbon. A bit like putting an exhaust you could put your fist up on a Vauxhall Nova.
    misterbee_43_1.JPG
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iPete
    Nothin nu blud already rollin on RS80z!!"!
    betty39.jpg
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    cjcp wrote:

CJ, where did you get your Kinlins? And does wherever you got them stock them in silver?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I'm quite tempted to go 30/50mm with my next wheels on my n+1.

At the moment it's a toss-up between some Kinetic2 alloys or some Chinese ebay carbon.

Does anyone have any experience of either?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    The carbon ones are ok aren't they? Long thread on here. Or just buy planet x ones?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • London-Red wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

CJ, where did you get your Kinlins? And does wherever you got them stock them in silver?

Kinlins are re-branded quite a bit. The easiest to find version is the Halo Mercury.

http://www.halorims.com/products-detail ... pe=all&c=L
  • london-red
    London-Red wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Kinlins are re-branded quite a bit. The easiest to find version is the Halo Mercury.

http://www.halorims.com/products-detail ... pe=all&c=L

Thanks for that - the problem is, I'm trying to track down a set of 30mm deep-section silver rims - Halo do red, black, blue and, erm, white. White?? While I could opt for the Velocity Vs, the Kinlins get rave reviews. Problem is finding the buggers...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @London Red: had them built by that mate of mine in the club. Will ask him as I need to call him.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    cjcp wrote:
    @London Red: had them built by that mate of mine in the club. Will ask him as I need to call him.

Cheers - appreciate it.