Deeep rims

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
I've magpie fever, keep making threads about shiny things and here goes another...toying with having some wheels built up and would like some deep Alu rims for all year all weather abuse.

Something like the American Classic Aeros 420s but I don't want American Classic Aeros 420s! I want the rims without logos but can't seem to find anything similar. Want to pair them up with red Hope Pro3 hubs, not sure Chris King is in my price range :shock:

Comments

• iPete
    8).
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'm not convinced deep aluminium rims really work as "all weather" wheels - what about massive squally showers - they'd be big heavy sails... and very stiff and harsh ride...

Hope this is just a magpie's daydream!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • iPete
    Yup! I'm just costing up the price of my dream 'n+0' all year bike. Unfortunately the part of my brain that is saving for a house deposit might win and the part that says I need new shoes, helmet and a GPS Garmin will beat them both :D
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    On my fixie - the real wheel is custom Weinmann Pegasus 40mm deep V - bl**dy heavy, but damn strong!

These are what I had on my Raleigh 853 Racing bike (Gipiemme 40mm deep V):

IMG_1737.jpg

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/alloy-wheels-1-c.asp

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/2012-gipi ... e-12-p.asp

Great wheels for flat TT and downhill, but going uphill was a 'mare on them - very heavy wheels.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The deep rims on my fixie (bontrager in-house jobbies) have been lovely. They've stayed absolutely true over two years of abuse including towpath hammering (before I got the CX for those duties).

Truth be told I've only felt the front wheel twisting in gusty weather once - and that was more of a storm than gusty weather (I had to get off and walk a couple of times as I was being pushed across lanes).

A little harse yes, but that additional section makes them (I reckon) a lot more tolerant of taking road surface hits.

Plus of course they are damn tarty :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    If you're gonna go deep rim, why not just go Carbon?
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Rigida come to mind, for example:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rigida-dp18- ... prod23240/

I've not tried them myself, but am very pleased with their XPlorer rims (more of a touring style rim) which I built wheels for on my Pashley.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

Carbon's not as shiny as aluminium, I'm guessing. Plus, is it just me or is carbon on bikes becoming, well, a little common? A bit footballer-y? A wee bit too 'new money'?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • iPete
    It also melts in the rain if I remember correctly?
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    I have some DP18's anodozed in blue, £35 for the pair - brand spanking new!
  • Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    Easton EC50 Aero? only 30mm depth though. could be destickered...

Find my RS30s are deep enough to look nice. and they're cheap, the hubs roll well and have taken some serious abuse.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:

Carbon's not as shiny as aluminium, I'm guessing. Plus, is it just me or is carbon on bikes becoming, well, a little common? A bit footballer-y? A wee bit too 'new money'?

Ummm, you are talking about deep rims in general here; if footballers rode bikes, they'd all be on deep rims. The classy option is lightweight low profile (and deep down I'm sure you already knew this!) but if you must go deep rim bling, at least do it properly and go full carbon!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Not sure the extra weight of a deep-section aluminium rim would give me much advantage over a less-aerodynamic rim that was lighter. It depends on your ride, though, any hills and you've lost the advantage.

That said, these look quite nice:

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/tt-t ... -wheelset/
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855

But you can get the Planet X carbon deep rims for that kind of money, in a choice of depths.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rolf F wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

Ummm, you are talking about deep rims in general here; if footballers rode bikes, they'd all be on deep rims. The classy option is lightweight low profile (and deep down I'm sure you already knew this!) but if you must go deep rim bling, at least do it properly and go full carbon!

Whatever, my commuting deep rims were hand built by a World Champion's father. 8)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've got American Classic 420's in black with no logos on, they are ridiculously light. Much lighter than my Cosmic Carbone's and Zipp 404's. Just saying!

Stops waving willy.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I've got American Classic 420's in black with no logos on, they are ridiculously light. Much lighter than my Cosmic Carbone's and Zipp 404's.

Can I borrow you next time I want to buy something I don't really need - I'm assuming you have the world's best negotiation skills?! 8)
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    mrc1 wrote:

Can I borrow you next time I want to buy something I don't really need - I'm assuming you have the world's best negotiation skills?! 8)

:D:D Purchased pre Ms EC, now I have to justify a pair of brake blocks! :D:D
  • rolf_f
    dhope wrote:
    Whatever, my commuting deep rims were hand built by a World Champion's father.

:lol:

Oh, I'm not saying I won't try some myself - but however you look at it, they are a bit like red painted brake calipers on a car; a bit too obvious to be truly classy!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Pete just buy carbon with alu braking. No point in the alu ones when the carbon ones with brake
    Tracks exist!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    but I'm being a tart and dreaming of something along these lines but capable of dealing with the winter abuse I give.. don't look down, not for the faint hearted!

I've already a very nice pair of RS80s that I enjoy on weekend rides.

TiBikeIncomplete.jpg

IMG_1485-PS_s.jpg
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Guess you'll be a fan of this then if you like the one above - http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/kwccf ... &start=960
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    okgo wrote:
    Guess you'll be a fan of this then if you like the one above - http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/kwccf ... &start=960

Mr%20spiffing%20copy.jpg

Some nice machines in there and some OK Cervelos :wink:

hmm might have to attend a kw Sunday ride soon!
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Am I the only one who thinks thin tube steel/Ti frames look awful with deep section wheels?
  • iPete
    bunter wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks thin tube steel/Ti frames look awful with deep section wheels?

Change my mind every two minutes! After something understated but different with a few subtle hints of loudness.

Love my Allez but it is none of the above.

IMG_0005Custom.jpg

Fortunately I've found a LBS who stock VN frames [Corridori] so I can see how they look and ride.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My aesthetics are thoroughly suspect. I loathe turbo saddles, love deep rims and can't see the beauty in uber spindly frames. I adore belt drive and hate the look of multi colour paint jobs. I ride a fixie and like a bootcut jean. Hell, my opinions are worthless.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    iPete wrote:
    IMG_1485-PS_s.jpg

Yikes. Hardest working bike ever?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rolf_f
    davis wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    IMG_1485-PS_s.jpg

Yikes. Hardest working bike ever?

Nope - most neglected bike ever!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I prescribe you a pair of full-length mudguards