Cheap Race Licence

2»

Comments

• I'm a bit confused. I've only had a provisional licence for the last 2 years and have raced BC APR'S and TT's on the open road without having to pay anything other than the race entry fee. Is it different for racing in Scotland?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm a bit confused. I've only had a provisional licence for the last 2 years and have raced BC APR'S and TT's on the open road without having to pay anything other than the race entry fee. Is it different for racing in Scotland?

I thought you could race on a provisional (which you seem to have been doing), but you can't score points on it?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It depends on the level of race. You can do some lower level circuit races on a provisional, other races you need to buy a day licence which will be cheaper depending on the level of membership you have (membership being different to having a licence). Other races require you to have an actual full racing licence.

Basically if you are looking at doing a season of road racing then you will be cheaper just getting a proper racing licence - and you will get points if you score any where you wont with a day licence. The only way you could do a season on a provisional and make it worthwhile would be if you were riding just lower level circuit races. The costs and entitlements are here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ---Track-0

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Just had a check on the BC website to confirm to myself that I'm not going mad!

If you have Race Silver membership, you get a Provisional race license included. As stated you can't gain any points whilst using this, but you only need to buy a day race licence for National A/B races and open track meetings. All other races (Regional C+/Regional C/Go Race/Track League meetings) are free (no day license needed).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Just had a check on the BC website to confirm to myself that I'm not going mad!

If you have Race Silver membership, you get a Provisional race license included. As stated you can't gain any points whilst using this, but you only need to buy a day race licence for National A/B races and open track meetings. All other races (Regional C+/Regional C/Go Race/Track League meetings) are free (no day license needed).

No. You can race Regional levels with your provisional licence but National level requires a full licence. The provisional entitles you to purchase a day licence for those regional events at a reduced rate which for Regional C and C+ is free of charge. This would cover most circuit races and BC time trials. The day licence rate for a provisional licence holder for Regional A and B is £5. Unfortunately the BC site is very disjointed on these rules. The table I linked to above appears to show all Regional races having the same requirements but it needs to be looked at in conjunction with this

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20120127-road-Single-Day-Racing-Licences-%E2%80%93-Road---Track-0 so Dess1e was more or less correct but you would also be able to get a free day licence for C+ races on the road whilst any Regional A or B circuit races would require a £5 day licence fee.

Disclaimer: This is my reading of the overly complicated BC rules and I'm happy to be corrected by any BC commissaires or other officials!
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    In short the BC tech regs and website are a complete and embarrassing mess regarding provisional licences. This needs to be cleared up and the tech regs amended.
  • carbon337 wrote:
    Why all the hate on here - FFS the lad just wants to save a quid or two. Maybe he isnt a middle manager in IT with the Audi, Cervelo and 2.4 kids in the 5 bedroom house like the rest of you.

He wil though probably kick your ars* and your wife will fancy him more than you...

Sorry couldnt resist a little rant ;)
    not having a go here....but if you ever go on to roadbikereview.com you'l find out what hate is....i was a member on there and put a thread on about a hill i planned to climb at some point this yr,got tore to strips over it.closed the account and got out of it.some of the guys are really OTT and dont really allow for a new rider to set a goal for themselves,just expect everyone to be were they are at in fitness etc....everyone was a noob at some point.

by the way i agree the licence is a bit expensive,especially if your a student.i was thinking of getting one and trying a few TT's this year.

need to get a bit more training in now tho :lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    by the way i agree the licence is a bit expensive,especially if your a student.i was thinking of getting one and trying a few TT's this year.

Most TTs are run by CTT, not BC - so no BC licence needed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Imposter wrote:

Most TTs are run by CTT, not BC - so no BC licence needed.

Unless in Scotland.