Cheap Race Licence

benneally
benneally Posts: 973
edited February 2013 in Amateur race
Anyone know how to get one any cheaper than a silver membership (£36) + race licence (£32)?

As a student, the last thing I want to be splashing money out on is something intangible....

Cheers.

Ben

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    University road race club - see if becoming a member to them gets you BC race licence
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    You may be better asking this in the amateur race forum.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I very much doubt it. Have you seen how much it costs to enter events? Get used to entering your bank details...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Agreed.

To race every weekend its nearly £100 a month for me (just booked april up) and probably another £100 to get there!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    It depends what level you are racing at but if you aren't interested in points you can race on a day licence with silver membership I think.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If the licence fee and race licence seems expensive then probably bike racing isn't the sport for you....
    More problems but still living....
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    amaferanga wrote:
    If the licence fee and race licence seems expensive then probably bike racing isn't the sport for you....

:lol:
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    I got a discount code - that i applied to a silver membership - reduced it to £24 then ive been racing on a provisional.

Will add race licence on at a later date.

TFL10 i believe is what I used. It only works in your first yeah though.
  • If you train really really hard, maybe a Pro Team will pick you up- I think Saxobank are after a rider at the moment.

I reckon they'd pay for your licence, and probably even cover entry fees too.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    well a UCI license costs like 72quid so if they don't then he certainly wont!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Why all the hate on here - FFS the lad just wants to save a quid or two. Maybe he isnt a middle manager in IT with the Audi, Cervelo and 2.4 kids in the 5 bedroom house like the rest of you.

He wil though probably kick your arse and your wife will fancy him more than you...

Sorry couldnt resist a little rant ;)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Not hating. Just saying.

And I'm 24 with no kids ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • majormantra
    Same. I'm 22 and a student too - I was just being realistic. Racing is expensive.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    as has been mentioned TLI racing may be a more affordable option. £16 for membership/licence combined and most races around a tenner. Probably less racing available though, certainly that's the case round me but then I can also enter LVRC and forget overpriced BC stuff.
  • evsy
    evsy Posts: 111
    Hey every1

just bringing this thread back up because i want to try and race this season and i was looking for a discount code to get silver membership and a race license a bit cheaper (student and skint).

so does anyone know of any valid codes for this year?

also, do you need to be a british cycling member to race on a day license?

thanks for any help

evsy
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Volunteer to become a commisaire, or promote an event, you get a discount on membership then.

The provisional licence that comes with silver membership only applies to races on closed road circuits.
  • Just read this thread as it's been resurrected. You don't need to buy the full race licence to enter events if you're a first time racer. You can get a provisional race licence (included with you Silver membership) that will last all year and get you into most races. Not sure if you can gain points using it, but if it's your first year then you probably won't get many points anyway.

I'm on my 3rd year racing and only paid for the full race licence in my first year because I didn't know better. Never paid for it since.
  • Dess1e
    Just read this thread as it's been resurrected. You don't need to buy the full race licence to enter events if you're a first time racer. You can get a provisional race licence (included with you Silver membership) that will last all year and get you into most races. Not sure if you can gain points using it, but if it's your first year then you probably won't get many points anyway.

I'm on my 3rd year racing and only paid for the full race licence in my first year because I didn't know better. Never paid for it since.

I hope you're only riding circuit races.
  • Well no, APR's TT's mainly. I am in Scotland though. Why do you say that?
  • benneally wrote:
    Anyone know how to get one any cheaper than a silver membership (£36) + race licence (£32)?

As a student, the last thing I want to be splashing money out on is something intangible....

Cheers.

Ben

I would suggest just turning up to the races and go along with it without paying. Your legally entitled to use the roads just as much as the paying members do. Downside is you dont get timed or anything but it will give you an idea of how fast you are.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    BikeRader wrote:
    I would suggest just turning up to the races and go along with it without paying. Your legally entitled to use the roads just as much as the paying members do. Downside is you dont get timed or anything but it will give you an idea of how fast you are.

Idiotic advice on so many levels. And the comm will pull you out as soon as it becomes apparent that you don't have a race number. Even if you were stupid enough to actually try this, you probably wouldn't make it past the pre-race briefing.
  • majormantra
    BikeRader wrote:

Troll.
  • Pross
    Dess1e wrote:
    Just read this thread as it's been resurrected. You don't need to buy the full race licence to enter events if you're a first time racer. You can get a provisional race licence (included with you Silver membership) that will last all year and get you into most races. Not sure if you can gain points using it, but if it's your first year then you probably won't get many points anyway.

Why? Your previous assertion that you can only race circuit races on a provisional is incorrect. You can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event. See this http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/membership/eligibilities.pdf
  • imposter2.0
    BikeRader wrote:
    It may be a bit odd I admit but what are the organisers gonna do? They cant physically stop you from riding down the road at the same time as their race.

This conversation is so stupid, it's not even worth having.
  • Dess1e
    edited January 2013
    Pross wrote:
    Dess1e wrote:

Why? Your previous assertion that you can only race circuit races on a provisional is incorrect. You can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event. See this http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/membership/eligibilities.pdf

A day licence is different from the provisional entitlement that comes with BC silver membership. The clue is is the phrase you used "you can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event"

The OP was also after info on reducing costs, buying a day licence for each event will not do this, unless you only ride two events a year.
  • Imposter wrote:
    BikeRader wrote:
    It may be a bit odd I admit but what are the organisers gonna do? They cant physically stop you from riding down the road at the same time as their race.

Thats your opinion mate, and it would be greatly appreciated if you just kept those to yourself.
  • Pross
    Dess1e wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Dess1e wrote:

A day licence is different from the provisional entitlement that comes with BC silver membership. The clue is is the phrase you used "you can buy a day licence if you are a 'race' level member for any regional level road event"

The OP was also after info on reducing costs, buying a day licence for each event will not do this, unless you only ride two events a year.

That link doesn't differentiate between road and circuit races as far as I can tell. All regional level races allow day licences to be purchased for non-members and discounted day licences available to members. The only races that don't require a licence of some sort are Go Race. Nothing mentions being able to race on a provisional without buying a day licence. I also cannot find anything in the rule book about this.

EDIT I've finally found it - the BC website is still a confusing mess at times. Regional C and C+ are a free day licence with a provisional so covers TTs run under BC rules as well. However, the cost for regional A and B is only £5 so it would take 7 races at that level to break even on the cost of a full licence.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    BikeRader wrote:

Thats your opinion mate, and it would be greatly appreciated if you just kept those to yourself.

Right, so you're the one suggesting crashing someone's event, but I'm the one who should keep my opinions to myself?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm entering my first race in March, it's part of a Spring series over 5 w'ends in March. Its mandatory to hold a full license to enter this series.

Anyway, I used 'TFL13' to save 10% and then opted to pay by direct debit and saved a further 10%. I realise the OP is a bit old now but someone may find it useful.

Now just need to figure out how I get round without getting dropped > binned > lapped :?
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”