Alivio or Deore?

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited April 2012
    I retract my statement. I'm simply amazed anyone is willing to pay for suntour equipment, especially at a greater cost than new deore would be.

I'm not sure how an average of £10 per mech is more expensive than one mech for £30 odd but anyway......

Suntour made the best derailleurs you could buy in the 70s and early 80s - the Superbe was known to be a better mech than Campagnolo Record. Suntour invented the slant parallelogram derailleur and even now Shimano struggles to make a derailleur that is much lighter than the Suntour Cyclones or Superbes of the 70s and 80s - eg see here: http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Sun ... 00%29.html

Sadly, when they were then taken over in the 1990s all the old tooling was scrapped - the products that followed had nothing in common with the previous Suntour aside from the name. So the Suntour you know is not the Suntour that made the mechs that I bought.

It's an interesting but somewhat sad history - but don't tar the old stuff with the same brush. It really is pretty nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTour
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ouija wrote:
    Go with the Alivio. Had about three on my 8 speed bikes with 26-26-48 and 28-38-48 touring gears. Got over 22,000 miles out of them so they can't be that bad (compared to the cheaper acera). Got Deore on both of those bikes at the moment and they are equally as good but come across as a bit flimsier (but gear shifting is pretty much the same).
    Er he's gone. Missed a few posts?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Rolf F wrote:
    I retract my statement. I'm simply amazed anyone is willing to pay for suntour equipment, especially at a greater cost than new deore would be.

I'm not sure how an average of £10 per mech is more expensive than one mech for £30 odd but anyway......
    Wasn't how you worded the post, nevermind.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Wasn't how you worded the post, nevermind.

Well - £15 for the used front and rear and £15.50 for the unused front gives a total = £30.50 for all three; pretty much what I said. Hope you read the Suntour stuff; it was a good company.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm simply amazed anyone is willing to pay for suntour equipment,

You tried this stuff?
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    I'm simply amazed anyone is willing to pay for suntour equipment,

You tried this stuff?
    I used to have it on a bike yearssss back, but to be fair i was young at the time!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Brand snobs make me laugh with their wise words on items they dont own havent used touched ridden etc etc. i regularly ride past people with 3 grand superbikes with their fox gear on my grand fs with suntour forks and yet they cant catch me weird huh........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    But how much faster would you be going on their bike? :lol:
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Damn you kammybear dont be giving me ideas dont think i can afford another divorce.............
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Should have got a pauls mech in rasta colours I reckon. Thats old skool cool.

IMGP5573-filtered.jpg
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Bit pricier than a Deore though. Worth as much as my bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    edited April 2012
    Nah, your bike is worth more than a deore mech. Maybe.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rolf_f
    benpinnick wrote:
    Should have got a pauls mech in rasta colours I reckon. Thats old skool cool.

IMGP5573-filtered.jpg

I had no idea you could make derailleurs out of Lego :lol:

(interesting site, disraeligears, isn't it - at least, in a hopelessly anal but compelling way......)
  • How is this even a question? Choose the one you want and are willing to pay for.

Wow... what a jacka**. The guy asks a simple question and you are beyond rude.

Sorry your life sucks that much you have to spread it like a disease.
  • cooldad
    SunSponge wrote:
    How is this even a question? Choose the one you want and are willing to pay for.

Wow... what a jackass.

Can't even spell it.

But seriously, a three year old post just to insult someone. You should meet Cody.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    SunSponge wrote:
    How is this even a question? Choose the one you want and are willing to pay for.

Did someone sh!t in your knickers this morning?

Stop crying over my post and use the tears as lube to w@nk yourself into a happier mood.