Alivio or Deore?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Apologies for this folks. After a rear mech for my tourer but I reckon I'll get a more immediate response here than anyone else.

Bike is a 1990 Dawes Horizon and I need a new (long cage) mech for it. I like to keep things as period as possible so I don't want a mech that looks like it is made out of barbed wire like most current models.

So, I'm thinking either one of these for £30 (which looks fairly inoffensive):

RD-M511.jpg

Or this one which maybe looks the part a bit more but perhaps the bike deserves better! This would be about £20. I do a lot of miles so durability counts.

14156.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How is this even a question? Choose the one you want and are willing to pay for.
  • rolf_f
    How is this even a question? Choose the one you want and are willing to pay for.

So shall we close down the Buying advice forum now then?! On the grounds that your response can be used for every single thread here...... Do you post this on all threads? :wink:

Seriously, I'm asking for advice here thanks......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Alivio will do everything you want and last as long as the Deore.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    Rolf F wrote:

So shall we close down the Buying advice forum now then?! On the grounds that your response can be used for every single thread here...... Do you post this on all threads? :wink:

Haven't seen such a simple question asked on here in a long time.
  • rolf_f
    edited March 2012
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh ffs. How dim are you? All I want to know is if the Alivio is less durable than the Deore - so that I can make a decision as to which one to buy based on all the facts I need to know. If you are too stupid to understand that out, why are you responding to questions asking for help at all? If the question is so simple, can you provide me with an easily located link that says, as cooldad helpfully responded, that the Alivio is as durable as the Deore?

And you can't have even been on here for a long time if you haven't seen 'such a simple question asked' on here lately. Or would you be less offended if I asked the mods to move this to 'beginners'?...... Muppet.

cooldad - thanks. Much appreciated.
  • bennett_346
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Oh ffs. How dim are you? All I want to know is if the Alivio is less durable than the Deore - so that I can make a decision as to which one to buy based on all the facts I need to know. If you are too stupid to understand that out, why are you responding to questions asking for help at all? If the question is so simple, can you provide me with an easily located link that says, as cooldad helpfully responded, that the Alivio is as durable as the Deore?

And you can't have even been on here for a long time if you haven't seen 'such a simple question asked' on here lately.

cooldad - thanks. Much appreciated.
    I love when the commuters migrate forums, oh it is entertaining
  • rolf_f
    I love when the commuters migrate forums, oh it is entertaining

I post on MTB, Road and commuting fwiw and posted here before you were even a member. I concede that I am not much of a mountain biker so I come on here asking the sort of advice that I like to provide on the road and commuting forums. So what is your point? Have you thought of trying to be helpful?

And you still haven't provided me with that link that would have answered my question without me having to have posted here.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Theyre all much of a muchness. If you want to go authentic, then maybe a roadie mech would suit, Wiggle have a Sora for £25 - its alivio equivalent but just plain silver rather than the grandma's Rover 200 Champagne and black look of the alivio.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rolf_f
    benpinnick wrote:
    Theyre all much of a muchness. If you want to go authentic, then maybe a roadie mech would suit, Wiggle have a Sora for £25 - its alivio equivalent but just plain silver rather than the grandma's Rover 200 Champagne and black look of the alivio.

Ahh well, I was originally planning to go Sora long cage but I was told that they couldn't handle a touring triple - 48-38-28 plus 12-28 cassette. And the other option was sourcing a used (1990s) XT mech but I can't be doing with ebay auctions at the moment! I understand those are fairly indestructable.
  • benpinnick
    I's have thought the SGS would be fine. A GS would be troublesome though you are right. You can get away with the difference (37T is ok I think) but the max rear on a GS is something silly like 27. As for an old second hand mech, I probably have one knocking around! Let me wonder to the garage and see....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Fraid not. One 6 or 7 year XT but thats it. Its not so fruitful in the garage since I let Cooldad at it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rolf_f
    Lol - thanks for looking! Incidentally, I hadn't picked up on the odd colour of the Alivio so that ones out!

These were the kind of XTs I was looking at but they tend to end up making about £20 inc postage which makes me think I might as well get a new mech.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore ... 4ab549a1c8
  • benpinnick
    Actually, If you want something like that, how about:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:144623
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Old XT are not indestructible. I've destructed a couple in my time.
    Sora is no good, capacity is 31 teeth, you have 36.

@Ben - thought I was doing you a favour tidying up your garage. Think the mech went on thel33ter's (ex)single speed frankenbike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Was I complaining? Just commenting that where there once was piles of stuff, there now is order (well, not really but I like to think so).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rolf_f
    cooldad wrote:

Was that in a delicate 'how did that happen whilst I was gently pedalling along the promenade' way or a "thrashing through a Dalby black run and ripping it off on a lump of gritstone" kind of a way?

The new Deore is gaining a healthy lead.......
  • benpinnick
    @cooldad - Ive built up the frankencube now, so if Thel33ter wants that Azonic frame, hes welcome to collect it. I warn you though, the SS dropouts will drive you mental.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    If you want to clear out consider it taken. He loved it on that S Downs ride he used it on. Sure we've got enough bits lying around to build it up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Rolf F wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Was that in a delicate 'how did that happen whilst I was gently pedalling along the promenade' way or a "thrashing through a Dalby black run and ripping it off on a lump of gritstone" kind of a way?

The new Deore is gaining a healthy lead.......
    Er not exactly pootling along the promenade, although I wouldn't say hurtling down black runs neither. Probably because I'm a bit rubbish and fall off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of the 2, go with the Deore.....
    My Daughter has an old 1990's XT on her Dirty Jo......although it's a little triggers broom as the inner cage and Jockeys are off a later LX.

Have a mid 2000's LX that looks similar to that Deore (apart from the inevitable scuffs) I may be willing to part with....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've got a relatively new long-cage Alivio mech in my spares drawer - it came off an 8-speed hybrid with a triple chainset. PM me if you want it, I also have a few other drivetrain bits and bobs from the same source
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Deore, because it's better.

Agree that Sora would be a good choice too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cooldad
    passout wrote:
    Deore, because it's better.

Agree that Sora would be a good choice too.
    It won't because it doesn't have the range.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rolf_f
    Thanks for the very kind offers Giraffoto & The Beginner. Unfortunately, I am now off on another track :lol:

I have a taste for old Suntour (I have an old Raleigh full of Suntour Cyclone and although the Dawes won't get anything of that class, I think the 90s Suntour stuff was still pretty good and a change from Shimano) so I'm going to see what I can find on those lines over the coming week and if nothing suitable crops up, may well consider a deal on here!
  • Ny brother has been through 4 alivio mechs in the time I have had 1 deore on the rat/ commuter i do more miles and and a competent mechanic so may be down to that, however the jockey wheels seem to have more potential material to wear down on the alivio so if looked after may last better

personally though i would go with the deore as they look better and last ages
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • rolf_f
    edited April 2012
    Thanks to all for the advice. So, in the end, after much thought, I ended up with:

P1110076.jpg

Sorry, I really can't help myself. The used Suntour XCE rear and XCM front mech came from a bloke on Retrobike for £15 and the unused one in the middle came the same day via Ebay for £15.50.

So for a couple of quid more than the new Deore, I have a spare front mech and two Suntour rears which look pretty good. They definitely seem to belong to the pre SR era in terms of engineering quality.

So, which of the pics below applies...... :lol:

Knight1.jpg
    Knight2.jpg

Thanks for the help folks. If the Suntours let me down, I will be getting a Deore......
  • bennett_346
    Your foolish loss.
  • rolf_f
    Your foolish loss.

Make your mind up - I was following your advice!

PS - kudos for the instantanous response. Have you been waiting all week for me to update? I mean, 1 minute?!! :wink:
  • bennett_346
    Rolf F wrote:
    Your foolish loss.

Make your mind up - I was following your advice!

PS - kudos for the instantanous response. Have you been waiting all week for me to update? I mean, 1 minute?!! :wink:
    I retract my statement. I'm simply amazed anyone is willing to pay for suntour equipment, especially at a greater cost than new deore would be.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Go with the Alivio. Had about three on my 8 speed bikes with 26-26-48 and 28-38-48 touring gears. Got over 22,000 miles out of them so they can't be that bad (compared to the cheaper acera). Got Deore on both of those bikes at the moment and they are equally as good but come across as a bit flimsier (but gear shifting is pretty much the same).