Best riding day of 2012 so far...

napoleond
napoleond Posts: 5,992
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just got back from a fantastic ride with Colin (Pokerface), weather was beautiful, finally got to wear shorts/summer jersey and I even took my mudguards off.

da24c91b.jpg
Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Best ride so far was my 4th at the BC Tameside Season Starter race.

Next best was an awesome day at Dalby Forest Red (with a lickle bit of Black too). My wife loved riding past all the flabby MTBers of their expensive DH rigs.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just got back from a fantastic ride with Colin (Pokerface), weather was beautiful, finally got to wear shorts/summer jersey and I even took my mudguards off.

da24c91b.jpg

Is that the drive to your house? :D
  • napoleond
    Yeah, are you local to me?
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    I'm your chimney sweep!!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    rajMAN wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

da24c91b.jpg

So your only on your driveway and he's dropping you already :oops:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    NWLondoner wrote:
    rajMAN wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

da24c91b.jpg

It's probably not quite so humiliating if the bloke dropping you is a bona fide world champion!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Best here was at the end of February - full summer kit, no wind, absolutely gorgeous.

Today is OK, fairly warm and some sun, but dreading the commute home as I had a really good tail wind coming in this morning (my fastest ever average on the route in either direction). Hopefully the breeze has dropped for the return! It's my first commute of the year with I've ditched the Night Vision jacket though as I was over-heating in it on Tuesday.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Still a bit chilly up in my bit.. went out on Sunday in shorts with Speedybird and found out the long sleeved Giordana top I bought at the end of the summer is not really windproof... nice day but not yet warm enough even when climbing.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    NWLondoner wrote:
    rajMAN wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

da24c91b.jpg

It's probably not quite so humiliating if the bloke dropping you is a bona fide world champion!
    On more than 1 occasion :P
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Has Colin been at the celebratory doughnuts or is he just carrying quite a bit of gear in his back pockets ;)
  • napoleond
    Colin was out for 4 hrs so had a fair bit of food/tools on him. I just did 2.40.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Fingers crossed, it's going to be this Sunday. The weather forcast looks good, I've got a new route saved into the Garmin, recceed some of it the other day and the lanes are clean and traffic free......... can't wait !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited March 2012
    Yesterday was my best day, glorious ride over The Longmynd whilst on holiday, only 28 miles as I didn't want to leave my wife alone too long (left a at 7:08am) but 3000ft of climb with scary descents :D

I did another short run this morning but had to walk up the steepest climb :oops:
    I'll post the Strava route tomorrow but when I planned the route last week and saw the vertical part in the climb graph I thought it was a glitch - it wasn't! [edit] this is the segment I had to walk http://app.strava.com/segments/739488

I set out at 7am this morning and there was frost and fog. Only 20 minutes of climbing the Shropshire Hills got me above the fog and the temperature began to rise. A great day, but yesterday was better!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Best was last sunday. Not at work, and had a lovely 80mi ride around the steps/ worlds end/ Horseshoe pass and home again
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    my best day was today -> 16C and Sunny when i went out at 2.30pm. and it was a good ride despite the headwind ruining my strava segments

Tomorrow is going to be a cracker though -> 17C at a similar time with lower wind!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Today definitely my best day! 103 miles and first sunburn of the year (oops!). Was aiming to do 100km but when I reached that the sun was still out and I still had some fuel left in the tank so I just started doing laps of my local area til I reached the century miles marker! Chuffed :)

http://runkeeper.com/user/nweststeyn/activity/76984994

542711_10150745097670781_501685780_11785045_227920446_n.jpg
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I was out today too - but had to be in work for 8:50am so just did 31 miles and home by 8am. It was quite chilly at 6:15 this morning when i headed out!!

Still - nice with hardly any cars about!! :D
  • I am rather chuffed that I received mild sunburn today. Roll on summer!!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Not today, as I opened my kit bag in the office I realised I had not packed my lycra shorts. Cycling home in my boxers under my endura trousers was far from comfortable...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Gizmodo wrote:
    this is the segment I had to walk http://app.strava.com/segments/739488

Mate - if it makes you feel any better on the JOGLE I did, over 300 people tried to get up that and only 20 people did so without walking. I think that will be in Simon Warren's next 100 cycling climbs book.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Best day for me was a week ago last Sunday, fantastic weather not as nice as today but I couldn't get out due to "life" getting in the way. :(
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    i hated today :( Temps were as low as 1 degree in the morning and I was underdressed then come afternoon I was boiling in a bag. DId you use Pokerface as a wind shield all the way around? Ugh Hard work. Nice piccy.
  • napoleond
    Crimmey wrote:
    DId you use Pokerface as a wind shield all the way around? Ugh Hard work. Nice piccy.

Pretty much! I rode the 14miles to meet him into a block headwind, uphill. It mear killed me as I had to be there for a certain time.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    542711_10150745097670781_501685780_11785045_227920446_n.jpg[/quote]

nice bike...
  • napoleond
    Perhaps an even better ride today. Another fairly flat easy spin with a good mate, stopped in Alderley Edge for a coffee and watched the Wags wander by. Less windy than yesterday and warmer too. Brill :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Crimmey wrote:
    i hated today :( Temps were as low as 1 degree in the morning and I was underdressed then come afternoon I was boiling in a bag. DId you use Pokerface as a wind shield all the way around? Ugh Hard work. Nice piccy.

and thats why you have arm warmers, knee or leg warmers, gilet, long fingerd gloves which can all be got rid of into the back pockets when the temps at this time of year can be quite a gap.. better to start out a little on the cold side and use the bike to keep you warm.. if you are planning a day of it as many are , I think this Sunday.
    Continuing to overdress for long rides and boil is a choice of course.... oh and the above can be done without a humungous growth hanging off your saddle.... that in the pic is not humungous of course...
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    NapoleonD wrote:
    stopped in Alderley Edge for a coffee and watched the Wags wander by.

thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg
  • napoleond
    Sorry to disappoint. We were met with a stunner bending over petting a friend's dog and a good view of said stunner's designer G String.
    I think Dan and I tried so hard not to make it obvious we were staring but, well, even with sunglasses I think we failed...
    Some nice cars out and about too...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • you're brave, I went through alderley edge on the bike the other day and thought about a coffee stop but everywhere looked far too high-class for a sweaty lycra-clad man to besmirch. Fortunately when I got to the top of the wizard there was an ice cream van parked up in the picnic area. That made it the best ride this year.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    NapoleonD wrote:

da24c91b.jpg
    Tatton Park?
    Rode through yesterday afternoon myself, was an amazing day to be out on the bike.