Garmin Edge 800... advice

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
So I got one of these Garmin Edge 800 (Performance and Navigation bundle) thingys.

How do you change the distance and speed to miles and miles per hour

How do you rearrange the layout of the performance data page.

Routes, please.

Any other additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    If it's anything like my 500 (which I have in front of me):
    Units are under Menu>Settings>System>System Setup>Select units format
    Screen (page) layout is under Menu>Settings>Bike Settings>Data fields
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Birthday present? Nice.
    Nothing useful to add, sorry.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    By following the instructions.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    By following the instructions.
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Read the instructions! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Menu, Spanner, System, Units, Distance/Speed
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thought I knew, forgot.
    Edit: Ah, Data Fields. Ta JG. Yeah, around there
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where to start... ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    RTFM

Just saying
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You can change the performance data page by longpressing on them till it prompts you for a replacement. You can change the number and configuration (# of data elements) of pages elsewhere in the setup.

Its really quite simple, just explore it.

Importing routes is a bit more of a faff though.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • DonDaddyD
    JonGinge wrote:

Ya, the options I get are Statute and Metric.

Statute turns the speed into MPH and distance into FT (feet).

Metric turns the speed into Kmh and distance into m (meters I assume as miles would be 'mi')

Can't find it.

(Doesn't help I've got a screaming baby as I'm trying to figure this out....)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Seriously man what is Statute and Statute UK.

Urgh
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Seriously man what is Statute and Statute UK.

Urgh

Another variation of Imperial? Seriously - the Yanks have some very, very odd unit combinations. (eg foot pounds per cubic yard per week). I think you should just stick with Statute UK and accept the consequences of buying an American product!
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2012
    It's pissing me off. I don't want it.

I ain't joking I been at this since yesterday. I have a fucking degree. All I want is:

My speed in miles per hour
    My distance in miles
    My elevation in metres

I want my display to look like the one on the back of the box. Time at the top and 6 data fields beneath it, one either side:
    Speed and Cadence,
    Distance and Elevation
    Heart rate and Avg Heart rate

What the fuck man.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Go metric and MTFU.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I would like:

My distance in miles
    My elevation in metres

I would like my display to look like the one on the back of the box. Time at the top and 6 data fields beneath it, one either side:
    Speed and Cadence,
    Distance and Elevation
    On a serious note if someone could (constructively) help me set my Garmin to the above it would be greatly appreciated.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I would like:

My distance in miles
    My elevation in metres

I would like my display to look like the one on the back of the box. Time at the top and 6 data fields beneath it, one either side:
    Speed and Cadence,
    Distance and Elevation
    On a serious note if someone could (constructively) help me set my Garmin to the above it would be greatly appreciated.
    Read my post further back, spanner.
    As in it's in the spanner bit, in the menu ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    OK I'm gonna lock myself in the toilet until I've cracked this. Mario Kart rainbow road in reverse was easier.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK I'm gonna lock myself in the toilet until I've cracked this..

Way too much information.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Ya, the options I get are Statute and Metric.

Statute turns the speed into MPH and distance into FT (feet).

Metric turns the speed into Kmh and distance into m (meters I assume as miles would be 'mi')

Can't find it.

(Doesn't help I've got a screaming baby as I'm trying to figure this out....)
    Sorry, assumed the menu structure would be the same as the 500. What a fool I am.

Page 31 of http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Erm the distance is in Feet until you have travelled a mile.

You need to bike more. Just sayin'
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    Erm the distance is in Feet until you have travelled a mile.

You need to bike more. Just sayin'
    squint_smiley_stickers-p217092460055096046z85xz_400.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I thought you hit it with a hammer?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • *Constructive Comment Alert*

Go to Menu > Spanner > Bike Settings > Training Pages > Timer Pages
    Tap on page 1, press up or down to select the number of fields you want to display, tick that you are happy then press and hold on the field you want to change and search through the options til you find what you want. Click tick when you're happy.
    Want more pages, click on page 2 or 3 - same as page 1, just make sure you check the enabled check box...

Not sure about the metric vs imperial thing though, think very few bike computers will show you distance in miles (i.e. feet) but elevation in metres...
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks everyone.

Now to fit the sensors to the bike.

I am excite.
    Food Chain number = 4

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Good luck with the cadence sensor. Tried to fit it to my bike and ended up ripping it off after about an hour of trying (albeit not too hard). Just couldn't get the magnets to sit the correct distance from the main sensor.

God help anybody with a Pinarello trying to fit the cadence sensor (no chance) ;) !!
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rolf_f
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Good luck with the cadence sensor. Tried to fit it to my bike and ended up ripping it off after about an hour of trying (albeit not too hard). Just couldn't get the magnets to sit the correct distance from the main sensor.

God help anybody with a Pinarello trying to fit the cadence sensor (no chance) ;) !!

Don't bother with the standard magnets. Get neodymium (rare earth) magnets. The magnets (which are very strong - mine are rated to lift 2.3 kg each!) sit on the end of the pedal spindle (with their own magnetism - so no ugly cable ties and bits of badly moulded plastic to hold the magnet on) and you only need to get them within a foot (OK, a centimeter or so) of the sensor to get it to register.

P1100058.jpg

These are the ones I got -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neodymium-Dis ... 5777637423
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rolf F wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Don't bother with the standard magnets. Get neodymium (rare earth) magnets. The magnets (which are very strong - mine are rated to lift 2.3 kg each!) sit on the end of the pedal spindle (with their own magnetism) and you only need to get them within a foot (OK, a centimeter or so) of the sensor to get it to register.

P1100058.jpg

These are the ones I got -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neodymium-Dis ... 5777637423

I have some neodyniums at home, might give that a go as the Garmin supplied cadence magnet is a bit ugly, what with the zip ties round the crank arm. My issue was that there is barely enough clearance for the wheel magnet - have sorted that by putting an additional zip tie round the speed sensor arm which holds it snug to the seat stay and will hopefully make the whole thing a bit more secure as well.
  • DonDaddyD
    Last question, how do you set a 'home' address so if it can always take me home?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f
    Luckily I don't need that one not living in London but - do be careful with that incase the unit gets nicked - make your home address somewhere some distance from where you actually live. And be careful about settings on the website. They have a nasty tendency to default to public so you end up with a load of commute info published on the web showing where you live and when you leave the house and return.......
  • DonDaddyD
    Strava...
    Food Chain number = 4

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'd be careful when letting Garmin decide your route.

This is Garmin effort from yesterday.

http://app.strava.com/rides/the-one-where-garmin-screwed-me-over-5549371?ref=1MT1yaWRlX3NoYXJlOzI9dHdpdHRlcjs0PTE0OTIyMA%3D%3D

Only about a 4 mile detour, but Christ, I wasn't expecting the hills through Penshurst and Speldhurst.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Mikey2
    Mikey2 Posts: 31
    You only get 2 choices;

Imperial
    Metric

Cant mix and match....