Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Wake up
    2 / 3 x Double Espressos
    17 mile commute
    Breakie : 4 Bananas + 25g Whey + Milk blended into a smoothie
    Snack : Apple / other fruit + strong black coffee
    Lunch : Try to bring in a salad / pasta but if the broker buys lunch its usually pretty unhealthy. Has / Pham / Nandos / Byron etc
    Snack : More Apples + strong black coffee
    17 mile commute home + perhaps some RP laps or an hour on the turbo
    Hot dinner, small pudding. Protein shake if no meat in the meal

Im 6'1 and 14 and a half stone. Used to play rugby, quit a few years back after injury. Lost a lot of upper body weight but still not a rake. Dropped down to 13 and a half stone when doing Marmotte in 2010.

Being a biochemist by trade, I take an interest in genetics and the role it plays in building who we are. One side of my family and generally pretty thin, the other all larger. I seem to have more genes from the latter, which means if I dont ride a lot and continue to eat what I do I put on weight. However, when I exercise it soon drops off. On the flip side, when playing rugby I was also one of the most muscular guys on the field but I've never done weights in my life.

There are guys at work who eat anything they want and are skinny, but I'm not jealous. Going back to the Horizon program on the truth about fitness, the presenter (dunno his name) looked a fit and health and was in no way overweight. Yet when then tested his sensitivirty to glucose it was poor and hios V02 max was something like 29 I think. Diet is important yes, but so is exercise
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Broker buys you lunch?

Do tell.

a) what kind of lunch and b) what kind of broker?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Breakie : 4 Bananas

do get a little 'bunged up'?
  • mr_ribble
    a) Anything thats unhealthy really. Pizza / Haz (Turkish) / Nandos (the middle classes KFC) / Pham Suishi / Byron burgers etc
    b) Financial, not pawn brokers :)
  • mr_ribble
    Breakie : 4 Bananas

do get a little 'bunged up'?

Bananas are sacred. Proof : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drpsVhgf0c
    They are the bomb, and when blitzed up with milk it doesnt feel like your eating four.

If Iyou see me go down on the drops, probably best to hold back a bit. Something TETM didnt realise the other day
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Nandos (the middle classes KFC)
    Wrong. KFC transcends class.
  • rick_chasey
    Nandos is dirty.

Byron burger is excellent.
  • clarkey cat
    I had a Byron t'other day in Kingston. We'd been shopping in John Lewis for furniture.
    We sat there with little baby Cat who was imperiously scrawling with the free crayons, and all the other city boys were wheeling in their designer prams, with their North Face gilets on and their miserable looking wives. First time I've ever really felt like I belonged somewhere.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I had a Byron t'other day in Kingston. We'd been shopping in John Lewis for furniture.
    We sat there with little baby Cat who was imperiously scrawling with the free crayons, and all the other city boys were wheeling in their designer prams, with their North Face gilets on and their miserable looking wives. First time I've ever really felt like I belonged somewhere.
    Living the dream. :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359

I've eaten there with the Mrs and the littl'un too. Although it wasn't as much of a pram-off when I was there, I know what you mean.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    rjsterry wrote:

I've eaten there with the Mrs and the littl'un too. Although it wasn't as much of a pram-off when I was there, I know what you mean.
    What is this Byron of which you speak? Can't say I've ever noticed it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    Round by Carluccios IIRC.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Now there's something that's overpriced.

Way too bland for the amount they charge there.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    rjsterry wrote:
    [...] Although it wasn't as much of a pram-off when I was there, I know what you mean.

Carbon-framed prams? Or just the stupendously expensive Bugaboo contraptions? Thankfully almost a decade out of that malarky.
  • clarkey cat
    The Concord Neo-Carbon pram comes in at £2500. Its what Kai Rooney has.

Although I denigrate these soulless chains, they do serve a pretty useful purpose. High-chairs, crayons, good baby-changing facilities, okay food. You're in and out in the time it takes Master Cat's attention to wane. Also not that expensive (apart from Carluccios which is eye-watering).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    rjsterry wrote:
    Aah, yes. I remember seeing the board outside. Unfortunately the EPO doesn't eat meat so it's not really an option. If the boy chooses where to eat he invariably wants to go to Gourmet Burger though.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Aah, yes. I remember seeing the board outside. Unfortunately the EPO doesn't eat meat so it's not really an option. If the boy chooses where to eat he invariably wants to go to Gourmet Burger though.

Byron burger is better than GBK in more or less every way.
  • clarkey cat
    think they're both pretty good. Like the mahoosive Kiwi burger at GBK. And we have one in WoT!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Goodmans for burgers, accept no less. And Meat Liquor is decent for them too. Like Ribble Itoo (although different industry) have to go on a lot of lunches/boozy evenings/breakfasts etc so its hard to be good when its your job not to be almost! The joys of advertising ;) Sadly we don't get to drink at our desks like Mad Men would have you think :(
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    okgo wrote:
    Goodmans for burgers, accept no less.(

Must be a bloody good burger for £14.

I feel like Vincent Vega
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It is.

But I don't see what the beef with the price is? A Byron is £11, at least at Goodman you know that its one of if not the best steak house in London so they're using good beef!

I'm yet to try Lobster & Burger in Mayfair but have heard that is good too. Although £20.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • clarkey cat
    Goodmans is the Daddy.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    okgo wrote:
    ...Mad Men...

New series soon. Yay.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    Breakfast at home - bowl of cereals or porridge
    Mid morn snack - peanut butter sarnie
    Lunch - chicken and cous cous salad or bagel, sun bite crisps, go ahead biscuits and fruits.
    Mid-afternoon snack- mixed nuts or fruit & protein shake
    Gym
    Protein shake
    Then big dinner

I'm 5' 11" and 78kg
    Trying to bulk up