Eating at work.

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Never really found that commuting (35 mile round trip) has caused me to eat any more.

Never eat breakfast, might snack occasionally through the day if they're easily available - but then, I've never watched what I eat. Watching it is valuable time which could be spent eating it.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Can't bear to eat before around 10am - I'm just not hungry before then. Haven't eaten a breakfast at breakfast time since I was around 14 I think.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well,
    breakfast - 2 weetiess and tea
    morning snack - 2 apples, and a glass of yoghurt mixed with smoothie and ground seedy thing
    lunch - noodle soup with tofu and broccoli and sprouted seeds
    afternoon snack - 2 bananas 1 kiwi
    dinner - a biggish helping of whatever is going
    evening - junk snacks e.g. toast and peanut butter, some chocolate

weight stable at 140lbs (65kg) - height 173cm (5'10") commute total round trip 18 miles approx

Usually I also run at lunch time about 5 miles 4 times a week but having a break this week but eating the same as I would if I was running as I feel hungry if I don't.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    36 miles (58km) per day

Always eat breakfastcirca 6-15 am before I leave the house. Just a bowl of cereal though.

Snack/graze during the morning on plain choc digestives or anything that colleagues have brought into office eg cakes/sweets etc.

I gave up caffeine 4 years ago so drink fruit tea.

Two rounds of sandwiches for lunch plus a bag of crisps circa midday.

Always eat a banana before leaving in the evening circa 5-30pm.

Cooked meal in the evening circa 7-30pm. Chicken/steak/bolognese/pasta, whatever 'er indoors has prepared.

Maintain my weight at this level for circa 10 years and feel comfortable. Not fat but not too skinny either.
    FCN = 4
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Don't tend to massively change my eating when commuting even on gym days... never seem lose the last few kgs I want to either though!

One really good snack is a boiled egg - lots of protein so it fills you up - but only about 80 calories.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have a bowl of shreddies about 6:30 a cup of tea.

15 mile commute.

a bit of Jamaica ginger cake/soreen and a skinny double shot latte around 10ish.

Apple/banana/citrus fruit mid day.

Couple of sandwiches for lunch and maybe another coffee 2 ish

Cereal bar around 3ish

15 mile commute

Dinner (pasta/rice/ meat/veg/salad/fish/whatever)

Chocolate and Tea for snacks.

No Idea what i weigh - but it certainly doesn't help me climb hills
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I eat...
    2500 calories per day
    of which 300 grams of slow release carbs

every day.

I weigh everything I eat.

Don't eat...
    processed food
    Potatoes
    white pasta
    white bread
    cake
    animal fat
    don't drink alcohol

Gained 6kgs!

Really pleased. Took a few months of exercise to do it, so I am now 56kgs, ideal weight for me.

Smug B*stard :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What is it with people having breakfast at work? I have mine before I leave the house. A couple of my colleagues do it.

I don't get it either.

If I don't eat before I leave the house I'll keel over before I get to work.

I might be a bit hungry but can easily cope with 10 miles with no food in the morning. I prefer more time in bed and eating at desk post 9 am.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    11km each way.

and 56kg - I'm surprised you need to eat anything extra :wink:

I'm nearly twice the weight (ok 93kg - 6' 0") and ride at least twice the distance (probably twice as fast too)(OK, I made that bit up :wink: )

My day looks like this

Porridge & banana & small latte coffee before 6.30am
    15.25mile commute in at 7.30am
    Mule Bar Energy Bar when I arrive
    Tesco variety sushi & a bit of choc at lunch
    Normally something an hour before I set off (bad snack or Mule Bar)
    18 mile return route with added hills
    Tea - whatever Mrs MRS cooks
    2 or 3 coffees during the day.

I should drop the choc & bad stuff
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Well, I guess it's my turn.

I eat.

Bowl of cereal in the morning.

Sandwich for lunch.

Big dinner - coffee afterwards - occasionally something afterwards like a muffin or an almond finger.

So I've had to up my lunch intake.

It's now massive sandwich / sandwich with smoothie.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'm trying to eat more as I've got to my target weight of 13st, now people are saying I need to fill out a bit.

So yeah, I'm stuffing my face with Strawberry Cheesecake from Cafe Nero, and I can fully recommend it! :lol::lol:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Veronese68 wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    56kg!

76kg and 6'2"! You must be like a rake.

I'm the same height and 85kg and my family have always called me skinny

I do hear the phrase "lanky streak of..." quite often.

i'm 76kg and 5' 10" and some people say I am slim, I might look it top half but all the weight is mostly muscle now anyway.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm 6'1" and 92kg. Takes a lot of food to maintain that weight, despite how much I cycle/run. :D
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    edited March 2012
    I'm 6'2"-6'3" and I've dipped to about 78kg but I'm usually about 80kg. Tomorrow I'm off to Rodizio Rico for someone birthday so by Sat morn I'll probably be up to around 85kg+... I never could resist all you can eat! However I'm doing a 115 mile sportive at fastish pace (18mph+ avg) on Sun so I'll be back down to 80kg by Mon...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    all very interesting, I just started to examine/track what I eat with a view to 'being sensible'. I do find that riding into work makes me hungry, although I'm a fan of eating generally. I have been using http://www.myfitnesspal.com purely to track my intake/exercise in a diary form - it offers a reasonable crowd sourced database of foods, breaking down the nutrition etc.

I'm 5'11" and weigh about 90kg (I don't weigh myself obsessively, more keen to see/feel improvements in shape/tone etc.)

Breakfast: 2x Weetabix with Skimmed Milk + Glass of OJ
    Lunch: 2x Slice of Toast with a Heinz Snap Pot of Beans, or Hoops - or a Tesco sandwich w/crisps
    Dinner: Varied, but try to keep it sensible in content and portion size.

Tracking the calories, fat, protein, sugar etc. is interesting, although I'm not applying much science to it at the moment.

Silly Commuter Diets?

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I must say I don't worry about my weight at all. I only pay it any heed because there are some pallet scales in the warehouse and I stand on them as I pass. I mainly do that to annoy one of my colleagues that is a bit heavier than I am, but about a foot shorter, as he's trying to lose weight. When he's below my weight I'll probably lose interest. I'd be quite happy if I put a bit of weight on.
  • rick_chasey
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I must say I don't worry about my weight at all. I only pay it any heed because there are some pallet scales in the warehouse and I stand on them as I pass. I mainly do that to annoy one of my colleagues that is a bit heavier than I am, but about a foot shorter, as he's trying to lose weight. When he's below my weight I'll probably lose interest. I'd be quite happy if I put a bit of weight on.

Neither did I, untill half way through the first year at work (not cycling...) the waist on my trousers suddenly got a little tight.

Didn't take much to resolve that, but I had to pay a bit of attention.

I'd only just adjusted to what I needed for sitting in front of a desk for 10hrs of the day. Now I'm adjusting for a longer commute than I'm used to, combined with sitting at my desk for hours upon hours.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm 6"1.5' and weigh 88kg. I'd like to be about 84kg ideally. Can't see myself getting below that due to the massive amount of show-meat I'm carrying from years taking crashball off the 10's shoulder.
    Refuse to diet. It makes me utterly miserable, but by loading my calorie intake to the start of the day (between 8am and midday) I find I can lose weigh quite quickly.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Jesus, I eat well more than any of you lot. I am fat, but if I didn't cycle 90 miles per week and play football a lot I reckon I could be one of those people who have to get carried out bed on a hoist.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    56kg!

So 5ft6.

171cm is actually 5 foot 7 inches (7.3 if we're being picky), just in case you need your height in imperial for something like a frame size chart :)
  • rick_chasey
    Rigged wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    56kg!

So 5ft6.

171cm is actually 5 foot 7 inches (7.3 if we're being picky), just in case you need your height in imperial for something like a frame size chart :)

*shrugs*

Imperial has no rhyme or reason.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    81-83kg here

Breakfast 2 eggs on two bits of brown toast
    lunch - proper meal, meat and two veg sometimes with a hot desert, crumble etc
    Dinner - proper dinner often with something sweet for afters

But my week of exercise lets me get away with eating and drinking whatever really

12-16 hours riding (commute/chaingangs/longrides/races etc)
    2-4 hours football
    3-4 hours weights
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm a big fan of two breakfasts.
    On a 6 mile each way lumpy commute, I would eat:
    At home: Bowl of porridge
    At work: Full fry-up in works canteen
    Elevenses: Tea and biscuits
    Lunch: Cooked meal in canteen, salad and dessert (e.g. spotted dick)
    Fifteenhundredses: Tea and biscuits
    Just before leaving work: More biscuits
    Dinner: Cooked meal
    Twentytwohundredses: Toast and cake

Lots of water all day and bits of fruit to snack on.

Height: 181cm
    Weight: 81kg

My weight hasn't changed for the last twenty years, no matter how much or little I ride/play football.

Some people just hate me!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    height : 5'10
    weight: 79kg

commute 16.5 miles ea way
    lunchtime : 2 mile fast walk / run

Pre commute Breakfast: 2 toast
    post commute breakfast: porridge
    snacks: 2 apples, orange, 1 banana before the ride home
    Lunch: 2 rounds of sandwiches (plus bit of cake I've just wolfed down)
    Dinner: bowl of pasta or meat, potatoes, veg etc.
  • rick_chasey
    Well, free burrito from torilla for me today.

Steak, lime-corriander rice, black beans, guac, green salsa, that tomato sh!t, cheese, lettice, few raw chilies, squeeze of lime, and then doused in cholula hot sauce.

Yum yum.

Let's hope I don't get farty in my interview :shock:
  • veronese68
    I went to the cafe for a fry up today:
    plate.jpg
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    I am often quite hungry, but have to suppress the will to eat sweets and chocolate. My typical day looks something like:

Breakfast before work: musli + cup of tea
    Mid-morning: cereal bar / small snack (sometimes grab a tesco sandwich if really hard commute)
    Lunch: Jacket Potato w/ filling.
    Afternoon: Cup of tea (stops me feeling so hungry) + small nibble if there is anything around the office
    Dinner: Large meal and usually some kind of desert (yogurt, ice cream, fresh fruit).

height: 6'
    weight: 63.5kg

Lost 3kg in the last year when cut the size of my lunches down.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:

blokes at work back when I was a welsh postie used to use the mail weights, as it's a walk on scale.

plenty where 100KG plus and only just over 5ft...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Veronese - that looks awesome.
  • veronese68
    I fancy a kip right about now. Zzzzzzzzzz...