Who's Risked Summer Rubber Yet

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else taken the plunge yet and switched over to their summer tyres/wheels??

I'm planing to have my last ride tomorrow on my winter tyres and can't wait to see the back of them. Yes they were p proof but they rolled so slow and had zero confidence with cornering with them.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i changed last sunday - spring is here. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    edited March 2012
    Edit - doh, I read best bike and wheels!

Got my best (only working!) rear wheel on but only use 'general purpose' tyres in any case until I get the cash for a set of specific race wheels.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just about to for this weekend as was away last weekend in Belgium without the bike or I would have been in summer set up.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I use Vittoria Open Paves all year long.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Been using my posh bike for a couple of weeks now.
    I use Conti GP4000S tyres all rear round.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    :D:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Winter bike/wheels is also summer bike :P

ps:road salt + matt black paint :(
  • NWLondoner
    I'm tied between going back to 23mm Vittoria Corsas or really temping fate and the p fairy and going 22mm Veloflex
  • NWLondoner

Sadly I only have 1 all year round bike :(

Keep wishing for a Van Nicholas Titanium ;)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    NWLondoner wrote:

I'm hoping Santa can get a Spesh Venge down the chimney :lol:
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Been using my summer everything for about a month!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Been riding my new felt with deep sections and deda tre corsa tyres on dry sunny days for about a fortnight. Smashing.

Love my new bike. :D
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I use Continental GP4000s all year long. Happy with that at the moment.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Summer rubber is on my nice spangly wheels. I was going ot break them out this weekend, but we're checking out a new route, and Street View gives me the impression that it might not be the best for summer rubber at this time of the year.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    NWLondoner wrote:

Had a Yukon as my sole bike for 3yrs now, has done a great job. Been a good year however so contemplating going back to two if I can convince myself I can do it justice.

Answering the original question...I also use same tyres all year round.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    upgraded to 25/23mm GP4000's last week - only because the old 28mm 4 seasons have gone to tyre heaven though :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 25mm Pro3 Race all year round. Just stay off the ironworks when they're wet. And stay off the bike when it snows. And try to stay upright when it's icy.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    gp4000's went out twice last week. Only one puncture so far.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    What winter tyres do you use that have more grip than summer ones? Since it's grip that's needed most in the winter with the greasier roads. You get flints and thorns and glass and all the rest of the crap as much if not more in summer (less rain to wash it away often) and since grip normally goes with fast tyres, I use summer tyres all year, I see more reason to go to slow ones in the summer really.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • NWLondoner
    Not the extra grip for winter tyres but more durable and puncture proof.

The rain always seems to wash the flint etc all over the road instead of being in the gutter.

Summer tyres offer far better grip but more prone to PM's.

My only 2 p's last year were on my summer tyres and guess what it was after it had rained.

In fact I've only ever had 1 P in dry conditions, all the others were during/after it had rained
  • NWLondoner
    Not the extra grip for winter tyres but more durable and puncture proof.

The rain always seems to wash the flint etc all over the road instead of being in the gutter.

Summer tyres offer far better grip but more prone to PM's.

My only 2 p's last year were on my summer tyres and guess what it was after it had rained.

In fact I've only ever had 1 P in dry conditions, all the others were during/after it had rained
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I also use the same tyres all year round,the one's that came with the bike when i bought it just over a year ago,

Vittoria Zaffiro's,covered over a thousand miles with only 1 puncture...

Happy days.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I changed from Ultra-Sports to Gatorskins this winter (ultra's were P'ing constantly). Not had a single P with the Gators. I used GP4000's before the ultras and may go back to them this year, though it might be easier all round if i just keep the Gators on? surely it won't slow me down that much will it?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2012
    Vittoria Zaffiro slicks at £6.99 each for me all year round on the commuter/trainer - rain, dry, snow, etc but rode in this morning on the good bike as its such a lovely day - carbon 50s, Conti Sprinter tubs, full Red, Gore Pro sealed cables for lovely shifting - lush, utterly lush.

I'll use the tubs any time of year so long as its dry (more to do with no brakes in the rain on carbon wheels rather than tyre related) - I'll just vary teh pressures depndant on eth conditions, but can't fault the Zaffiros for the money at all - puncture resistant, roll well but are a bit heavy, but hey, its a trainer/commuter: train heavy race light and all that jazz. And they only cost £6.99 each and last 18 months at a pop.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gators came off and R.1s have gone on.

So far not regretted it.
  • NWLondoner
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gators came off and R.1s have gone on.

So far not regretted it.

Hope that's a massive piece of wood your touching ;)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Had to fix 3 punctures this weekend - 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday :x
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    GP4000S' all year round for me.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Rode summer tyres through the winter, thicker rubber just doesn't feel the same and didn't get any splits thankfully.
  • Popped my 2012 bike ride cherry the other week.

As the Fuji and I have had a winter off from riding it was still in full summer rig from last year.

Oh and it felt goooooooooooooood!!!!