Crank lengths

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    and what is wrong with that?- i have got two hts,- similar weights, but all I take on with the one that has got longer arms is easier

Can't argue with your 'science'.

Oh wait. I can.

That is what I thought you have got.
    Same goes for 3/4 of your comments. Spread your arrogance and stupidity someplace else, will you?
    My stupidity? Using different bikes with different weights as a comparison, and then 'feeling' a difference that is marginal at best. OK.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    back to school
  • cooldad
    I think you are missing the point. Not that there won't be a difference, just that it will be so small that it will not be noticeable under normal conditions.
    The Op is talking about a 2.5mm difference over 175mm, about 1.5%. I doubt you'd even notice that if you had different size crank arms on each side.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    [quote="Scalpel_79

yes, but I am still talking about one----the very same guy using different lengths of arms, same weight, strength, movement,...etc- just the way you put it. Put one different on the very same bikes, BUT with different lengths of arms and he WILL get THAT EXTRA THE WHOLE THING IS ALL ABOUT [/quote]

I know what you're saying, but those situations cannot be replicated. The random factors of day to day riding will alter your performance more than the cranks; that's my point. A difference can't be noticed because of all this extra stuff which completely masks the vary small diffrence crank lengths make.
    Different example:
    undo your pedals with standard [whatever] key
    I give YOU two very same keys to undo the very same crank, BUT!!!! ONE KEY SHORTER than the other- there will be a point [it could be calculated EASILY] where you have no problems undoing your pedals, BUT!!!! you will NOT be able to do the very same thing with the shorter one
    EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only by 1, 2, 3mm SHORTER- it is math- YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT!!!- NOT A CHANCE!!!
    Completely agree; however undoing a bolt is a much simpler model than riding a mountain bike, there are fewer external factors to consider.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • cooldad
    And 3mm over the length of an allen key (about 40mm?) is a much higher proportion than 2.5mm over 175mm.
    Glad you've stopped shouting though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Yes there will be a difference, but on every bike in the world save a penny farthing, changing gear is far easier than changing crank length. It's irrelevant to how much power you actually send to the back wheel...

The only reason to change is to get a better fit or for more clearance, and for most of us non DH/FR riders, clearance is not an issue...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    Just thought I'd catch up on the 'Great Crank Debate' did'nt realise i'd
    need go and do a Degree in Physics first, so too sum, in a nutshell, keeping it short,
    basically, shorter cranks mean:

1. Pedalling a bit harder
    2. Not hitting as much stuff (if your not an expert)

Yes/No (tick appropriate box)
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • Scalpel_79
    Torres wrote:
    [quote="Scalpel_79

yes, but I am still talking about one----the very same guy using different lengths of arms, same weight, strength, movement,...etc- just the way you put it. Put one different on the very same bikes, BUT with different lengths of arms and he WILL get THAT EXTRA THE WHOLE THING IS ALL ABOUT

I know what you're saying, but those situations cannot be replicated. ["nothing" can be replicated apart for the guy- the very same one, that sits on a bike- THE bike, BUT one of those two has longer arms and it makes doing same trails easier rather than on the one with shorter- if it shit rains :lol: , fark- even Maya Wloszczowska will not make it] The random factors of day to day riding will alter your performance more than the cranks; that's my point. A difference can't be noticed because of all this extra stuff which completely masks the vary small diffrence crank lengths make.
    Different example:
    undo your pedals with standard [whatever] key
    I give YOU two very same keys to undo the very same crank, BUT!!!! ONE KEY SHORTER than the other- there will be a point [it could be calculated EASILY] where you have no problems undoing your pedals, BUT!!!! you will NOT be able to do the very same thing with the shorter one
    EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only by 1, 2, 3mm SHORTER- it is math- YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT!!!- NOT A CHANCE!!!
    Completely agree; however undoing a bolt is a much simpler model than riding a mountain bike, there are fewer external factors to consider.[/quote]

Climbing a Mount Everets for some is easier than for SOME going to get a six pack [from a local say TESCO?]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Just thought I'd catch up on the 'Great Crank Debate' did'nt realise i'd
    need go and do a Degree in Physics first, so too sum, in a nutshell, keeping it short,
    basically, shorter cranks mean:

1. Pedalling a bit harder
    2. Not hitting as much stuff (if your not an expert)

Yes/No (tick appropriate box)
    No (gears)
    Yes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Scalpel_79
    cooldad wrote:
    And 3mm over the length of an allen key (about 40mm?) is a much higher proportion than 2.5mm over 175mm.
    Glad you've stopped shouting though.
    Sorry
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    and what is wrong with that?

You're saying "You WILL notice" in a thread where people tried it and didn't. Therefore, cobblers.

Is there a difference? Obviously yes there is. An important one? I don't think so- if I don't feel it at all then how important can it be?. But will everyone notice it? Absolutely not, and claiming otherwise is ridiculous.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Scalpel_79
    Northwind wrote:
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    and what is wrong with that?

You're saying "You WILL notice" in a thread where people tried it and didn't. Therefore, cobblers.

Is there a difference? Obviously yes there is. An important one? I don't think so. But will everyone notice it? Absolutely not, and claiming otherwise is ridiculous.
    you tried it?
  • Scalpel_79
    which is why Shimano and others manufacture all of those in different lengths: 172.5, 175, 177.5 ...- right, now I get it
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    you tried it?

As I explained earlier in the thread, yes.

But by all means continue to waffle and ignore what you're being told.
    Uncompromising extremist