Crank lengths

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Renewing my current chainset which has 175mm cranks. Just wondering is there any pro's/cons to getting 170mm over 175mm. Or is it just personal choice?

Comments

• I put 170mm on my Canyon instead of 175mm and didn't notice any difference. I bought them because they were £10 cheaper :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Guarantee you won't be able to tell what's on without looking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    rob39 wrote:
    Just wondering is there any pro's/cons to getting 170mm over 175mm.

5mm less chance of you grinding your pedals out :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Putting 165s on my dh bike meant I no longer knee the top of the forks when pedalling out of the saddle!

But on all my other bikes,I can't feel any difference. I've got a set of 170 and a set of 175 XTRs, no clue which is on which bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    I've been looking at getting more ground clearance for getting over rocks, logs that kinda thing,
    how small do cranks go, and what's the smallest you can get away with ? If 175 is the average I'd think
    150 would make a decent difference ? Can you get much small Chain rings, I was thinking of changing
    my Triple for a 2 x 10 as I want a bash guard. I'm a bit of a clumsy rider, so need all the protection I
    can get... any help... anyone..
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hacker60 wrote:
    I've been looking at getting more ground clearance for getting over rocks, logs that kinda thing,
    how small do cranks go, and what's the smallest you can get away with ? If 175 is the average I'd think
    150 would make a decent difference ? Can you get much small Chain rings, I was thinking of changing
    my Triple for a 2 x 10 as I want a bash guard. I'm a bit of a clumsy rider, so need all the protection I
    can get... any help... anyone..

Just improve your technique, alot of the time you can judge were its going to happen, going twin and bash will help but won't stop you hitting your pedals only technique will stop that, odviously shorter cranks will help.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    rob39 wrote:
    Renewing my current chainset which has 175mm cranks. Just wondering is there any pro's/cons to getting 170mm over 175mm. Or is it just personal choice?

Only time I noticed different crank lengths was on a bmx which had 180mm, just felt too long, going shorter never noticed it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Each to their own I guess but I have 175s/170s/165s on three bikes and they all feel different. There is noticeably less leverage on the smaller cranks especially when grinding climbs it feels as though my legs are turning in itty-bitty circles like riding a child's bike.

On the plus side there is quite a bit more ground clearance with the shorter cranks esp on a FS where there's a lot going on at both ends.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    165mm is the shortest you'll normally get.....besides many are the same arms with the pedal hole drilled in a different place!

If you're hitting cranks, learn to position them, any length will still hit if you have a pedal down rather than having them level.

It's easy enough to go froma triple to double and bash, yes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hacker60
    Hacker60 Posts: 73
    Cheers for the tips

I think I will save my pennies for now, looking to put some Crank Mallet 2's
    on over the next week, and a chain guide as I'm trying to tighten up my kit. Getting to grips
    with riding an FS and different type of riding. I think I need to really work on my technique
    "as mentioned" - or something is going to break, probably me rather than the spesh.

Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSR XC - Custom
    Scott Scale 60 - Stock
    Spesh FSRXC - Custom
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Better technique will help more than new cranks and it won't cost £100+.
    Positioning the cranks for obstacles help so does manualing or jumping through stuff. For rock guardens & roots speed helps a lot.
    Most downhill bikes have very low bottom brackets & 165/170mm cranks and they are ridden hard on the ugliest trails without pedal strikes being a huge problem with the right technique
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    longer arms.weight[force] = bigger momentum:
    Mmax.=F x r
    where:
    F- Force [your weight]
    r- radius

Build two bikes, while one with 2.5mm either longer or shorter arms than on the other and ride same trails- YOU WILL see the difference. I cannot take same trails with same gear on both [one with longer arms makes everything a bit easier]- BUT!!!, IT IS ONLY VISIBLE WHEN RIDING SAME TRAILS. If you know how to work your arms, you will not be hitting anything [it "only " makes difference on your way up]
  • Northwind
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    Build two bikes, while one with 2.5mm either longer or shorter arms than on the other and ride same trails- YOU WILL see the difference.

Swapping cranks on the same bike will achieve the same. I didn't, sorry, DID NOT see the difference.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Scalpel_79
    got two + ...:
    one on extralite E-Bones 175mm
    and
    XTR FS M-970, 177.5mm
    NOT SWAPPING ANYTHING
  • cooldad
    In a word, bollocks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Scalpel_79
    cooldad wrote:
    In a word, bollocks.

what is pal?
  • Northwind
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    what is pal?

This is:

"YOU WILL see the difference"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Scalpel_79
    and what is wrong with that?- i have got two hts,- similar weights, but all I take on with the one that has got longer arms is easier
  • Scalpel_79
    no rocket science there- Statics!
  • cooldad
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    and what is wrong with that?- i have got two hts,- similar weights, but all I take on with the one that has got longer arms is easier

Can't argue with your 'science'.

Oh wait. I can.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Scalpel_79
    cooldad wrote:
    Scalpel_79 wrote:

Can't argue with your 'science'.

Oh wait. I can.

That is what I thought you have got.
    Same goes for 3/4 of your comments. Spread your arrogance and stupidity someplace else, will you?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    Mmax.=F x r
    where:
    F- Force [your weight]
    r- radius
    My first issue is that force*distance is a torque (where a larger torque will make it easier to spin the cranks), secondly the force is NOT just your weight; sit on the saddle and spin, you're still applying force to the pedals but supporting little weight on them. Your legs will produce a downwards force as you pedal (putting numbers on this is difficult.)

For arguments sake lets say you exert 600N of force on one pedals (pulled this figure out of the air, but it's roughly my weight force). T
    he torque produced on a 170mm crank arm is
    0.17*600=102 N/m.
    On a 175mm crank the torque produced is
    0.175*600=105 N/m

Thats less than a 3% increase in the torque produced. I call shenanigans on anyone who can notice this in a blind taste test.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Scalpel_79
    Torres wrote:
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    Mmax.=F x r
    where:
    F- Force [your weight]
    r- radius
    My first issue is that force*distance is a torque (where a larger torque will make it easier to spin the cranks), secondly the force is NOT just your weight; sit on the saddle and spin, you're still applying force to the pedals but supporting little weight on them. Your legs will produce a downwards force as you pedal (putting numbers on this is difficult.)

For arguments sake lets say you exert 600N of force on one pedals (pulled this figure out of the air, but it's roughly my weight force). T
    he torque produced on a 170mm crank arm is
    0.17*600=102 N/m.
    On a 175mm crank the torque produced is
    0.175*600=105 N/m

Thats less than a 3% increase in the torque produced. I call shenanigans on anyone who can notice this in a blind taste test.

I was taking into an account the very same person [of the very same weight----at the time] using first- bike with crankset where arms are longer and the switching to the very same [or similar weight bike], BUT with shorter ones DOING THE VERY SAME TRAIL [just as you put it in your calcs]- 3% [you mentioned] would be someplace there- IS SOMETHING YOU FEEL [I DO]- EVEN THOUGH IT IS THIS SMALL

Torque=Momentum
    just different terminology [studied engineering abroad- that is why]
  • Scalpel_79
    different way

one rider=same weight= same distance
    an hour race
    3% advantage over longer crank arms
    60mins/100%= 0.6min x 3 [%]= 1.8min. advantage=============(LONGER ARMS)

it is all down to the detail at the end [when i.e. competing]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Ignoring the above, how tall are you? I'm 171cms (plus I reckon I ve got short legs too) and struggled with 175mm cranks, I found 170mm much more comfortable over a long day. To get my saddle in the right height with one leg extended, it feel like i was kicking myself in the chin with my knee...

If you re a normal height though then it does nt make any difference

For the above - Cervelo (that road bike maker) did a study on this as varying crank length can help get a better TT position. They found that no matter what crank length people used, they changed gear to compensate so they were producing the same power. I.e, if they shortened the crank 10mm, they just used one cog lower
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Torres
    I see what you're saying, however this model isn't perfect. There are many flaws:
    1) Force is not applied at a constant angle to the crank arm
    2) The force is not uniform due to shifts in the riders weight and the variable force exerted due to pedaling (not just weight)
    3) Flex in the rider/crank interface will alter the force exerted.

3% is only a marginal increase anyway; and this requires a perfectly replicated situation; which in the real world just doesn't happen. One could gain more than 3% extra torque by paying close attention to techneaque; and power output will depend on food/rest etc.

As a result of all these factors i PERSONALLY do not think a benefit will be notice. We may have to agree to disagree.
  • Torres
    Scalpel_79 wrote:
    different way

one rider=same weight= same distance
    an hour race
    3% advantage over longer crank arms
    60mins/100%= 0.6min x 3 [%]= 1.8min. advantage=============(LONGER ARMS)

it is all down to the detail at the end [when i.e. competing]

Not strictly true, as this would assume you're pedalling constantly over the duration of a race. Possibly more applicable in road racing, but for mountain biking i would imagine (and i'm purely speculating) that the improvement would be less than a minute [this is again assuming a perfectly replicably situation as I mentioned above.] Personally my lap times can vary by that amount purely on how I'm feeling and on the conditions on the day (variations in the wind, course deterioration etc.)
  • Scalpel_79
    Torres wrote:
    I see what you're saying, however this model isn't perfect. There are many flaws:
    1) Force is not applied at a constant angle to the crank arm
    2) The force is not uniform due to shifts in the riders weight and the variable force exerted due to pedaling (not just weight)
    3) Flex in the rider/crank interface will alter the force exerted.

3% is only a marginal increase anyway; and this requires a perfectly replicated situation; which in the real world just doesn't happen. One could gain more than 3% extra torque by paying close attention to techneaque; and power output will depend on food/rest etc.

As a result of all these factors i PERSONALLY do not think a benefit will be notice. We may have to agree to disagree.

yes, but I am still talking about one----the very same guy using different lengths of arms, same weight, strength, movement,...etc- just the way you put it. Put one different on the very same bikes, BUT with different lengths of arms and he WILL get THAT EXTRA THE WHOLE THING IS ALL ABOUT

Different example:
    undo your pedals with standard [whatever] key
    I give YOU two very same keys to undo the very same crank, BUT!!!! ONE KEY SHORTER than the other- there will be a point [it could be calculated EASILY] where you have no problems undoing your pedals, BUT!!!! you will NOT be able to do the very same thing with the shorter one
    EVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only by 1, 2, 3mm SHORTER- it is math- YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT!!!- NOT A CHANCE!!!
  • Scalpel_79
    [quote="...to compensate so they were producing the same power. I.e, if they shortened the crank 10mm, they just used one cog lower[/quote]

And there you have it?

Point is- do the very same trail using different cranks' lengths
    Which one is going to be easier using?----the one with longer arms? or the one with shorter?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    ^ the one that fits.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver