ACL Snapped - Time On My Hands

oldhairylegs
oldhairylegs Posts: 220
So I have gone and snapped my ACL in a big crash whilst skiing and am facing a few months of not doing very much at all. :(

Race season over before it got started and my entry into La Marmotte may well end up as a DNS.

Big question is what on earth am I going to do with all this new time on my hands? No long training rides, coffee stops, bike fettling or long trips to races and I am already getting on my Missus' nerves :evil:

Any suggestions as to what I can do with all this time gratefully received; I have considered compiling a league table of all the various members of the 'Girls In' threads, but think I should save this until I get really desperate.....

Comments

• slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Get movement in it as soon as possible. Depending on how long its been try and get on the turbo without the tyre on the roller just to get some movement back and prevent muscle wastage.
  • Consider changing your diet. Had to work with an athlete recently who had glandular fever, so is basically completely sedentary, yet eating what he was eating whist he was training/racing.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Consider changing your diet. Had to work with an athlete recently who had glandular fever, so is basically completely sedentary, yet eating what he was eating whist he was training/racing.

WHS^^^^

I tore my medial ligament in the Summer of 2010. Had to wear a brace which reached from upper thigh to ankle (imagine a giant blue cricket pad) 24 hours a day for 3 months BEFORE I had the corrective surgery. Then 2 months before I could exercise again.

It will be hard put change your diet & portion size immediately. I didn't think to do this and piled on 2 stone in the first 2 months. It was a loty harder to lose it than it was to gain it!

Best wishes, fella.
  • Thanks guys.

Must say that the diet is going to be something I really need to watch as I normally eat humungous dinners or fry ups after my rides! :oops:
  • Download myfitnesspal if you have a smart phone, really helpful tool as you can scan in Everything you eat.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    I ruptured my quad tendon 7 weeks ago. Operated straight away and then 4 weeks in a plaster cast. I'm back at work now but in the 5 weeks at home I :-

* Watched lots of DVDs
    * Bought a mandolin and started to learn to play it
    * Weights for upper body and good leg
    * One legged turbo sessions - I couldn't manage more than about 15 minutes at a go until I counterweighted the other crank.
    * Drove SWMBO crazy.

The hardest part is not being able to get out and ride or run, especially now that light mornings and good weather is here.

Anyone want an entry for the Maratona?