Opinions on new frame - Stiffee v C456

2»

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    1mancity2 wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    Kinesis sound ok, something just keeps pulling me back to the C456 though at the minute.

I think and this is from actually riding with you for the past few months and watching how you have progressed thus far that the C456 is the right frame for you.

I can't see you going jump crazy just yet and I think if you went the stiffee route you would end up swapping it later.

The C456 has everthing you need and will cope easily with what your doing now and in the future, can you see yourself jumping the "leap of faith" soon?, the C456 would easily cope with that.

And when you get her built, I will need to be having a go :wink:

It's on my to do list :D

Yeah, i'm swinging more towards the 456 as time goes on, it does look bloody lovely :lol::lol:

Seriously, think it ticks all the boxes for me. Just need a go on one ideally to secure the deal....
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    DodgeT wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    Kinesis sound ok, something just keeps pulling me back to the C456 though at the minute.

I think and this is from actually riding with you for the past few months and watching how you have progressed thus far that the C456 is the right frame for you.

I can't see you going jump crazy just yet and I think if you went the stiffee route you would end up swapping it later.

The C456 has everthing you need and will cope easily with what your doing now and in the future, can you see yourself jumping the "leap of faith" soon?, the C456 would easily cope with that.

And when you get her built, I will need to be having a go :wink:

It's on my to do list :D
    Yeah, i'm swinging more towards the 456 as time goes on, it does look bloody lovely :lol::lol:

Seriously, think it ticks all the boxes for me. Just need a go on one ideally to secure the deal....

Thats a big list though, init bruv........
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    Didn't take tooo long for you to get me doing the top downhill. Just got to work on table tops then this next :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    DodgeT wrote:
    Didn't take tooo long for you to get me doing the top downhill. Just got to work on table tops then this next :)

Its all in your head and stop grabbing the brake and your there bud. :wink:

Sunday we will session t/tops.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I7 Extreme wrote:
    in my opinion the On one has the wrong riding postition for jumps so it would have to be the stiffe. Although there are plenty of other bikes and frames out there.

For just doing jumps yes I agree but from what I understand from the original posters requirements its mainly the type of jumps you see on DH tracks.

From my experience these tend to be flatter type jumps where a slacker, longer wheel base bike is OK and I think will be better over the whole course.

Its more slope style riding the OP is after then yeah maybe the Stiffe sounds like the better option.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    DodgeT wrote:
    i'm sorry but i don't think anything i've mentioned relates to buying on looks.

Just as well too, they're pretty horrible to look at... Mine would be the ugliest bike by far in any normal, non-ugly garage that didn't contain an Ellsworth :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    jairaj wrote:
    For just doing jumps yes I agree but from what I understand from the original posters requirements its mainly the type of jumps you see on DH tracks.

From my experience these tend to be flatter type jumps where a slacker, longer wheel base bike is OK and I think will be better over the whole course.

Its more slope style riding the OP is after then yeah maybe the Stiffe sounds like the better option.

Just read the definition of slope style, I aint got the tackle for that, even if I had the bike :lol:
    Northwind wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    i'm sorry but i don't think anything i've mentioned relates to buying on looks.

Just as well too, they're pretty horrible to look at... Mine would be the ugliest bike by far in any normal, non-ugly garage that didn't contain an Ellsworth :roll:

Reckon the matt black C456 should be ugly enough for me :D
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    dodge why did you get rid of the steel 456.? are the steel and carbon 456 the exact same geometry.?
  • DodgeT
    I did like the 456 I had, then my mate had borrowed a stumpy... it was a cold icy day at llandegla, i was knackered, my ass was killing. I had a go on the stumpy and it was great and comfortable.. Next day I bought a FS.

I want a HT again to go with the enduro, so I can pick and choose depending what am doing / where going etc.

Geo is the same, however i'd prob get a slackset for it, to make it the same as the summer season.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ah right that answers my next question...

i guess you like the 456 you had so go for the carbon one, you have some idea of how it rides and the size so your already a step ahead over the other frames.....
  • DodgeT
    Yeah, only difference being I now enjoy getting off the ground whereas I didn't before.
    I think my search has ended, just need to see how I get on with my "issues" with the donor bike as I may be having to buy more parts now than originally thought..
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Just checking that you did read the recent review of the C456 on bike radar. It bascially didn't come across well - uncomfortable. Struck me that 'if' this is true, then suddenly the main problem with the stiffe (comfort) seems like less of an issue realtively speaking. I wouldn't let it sway you too much, but obviously read it to get another opinion.

See:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 9-12-46042
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DodgeT
    I think a bit pile of salt is needed with that review. Can't believe it's the same bike what the actual users are replying on in the reviews at the bottom...
  • Northwind
    That review again :lol: TBH I doubt any experienced rider takes it at all seriously.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • passout
    You say that Northwind, but there must be 'something' to it - and I speak as someone who likes on-one, up 'till recently was riding one, and has been riding MTBs since 1988 (not consistently, I sometimes stop for toilet breaks & food!). Seriously though, thencarbon 456 sounds like it must be stiffer/ more harsh than one might expect - even some of the riders who posted comments agreed with that. Comfort isn't everything though & tyre choice & seat post set up will have a lot to do with it. I do take the review with a pinch of salt but it would be enough for me to want to test it before buying if I'm honest. I say this because my riding tends to be long distance these days (doing all day rides into the depths of Royal Deeside soon) so comfort is a big issue for me. The C456 still represents great value, even 'if' it is a bit stiff.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DodgeT
    passout wrote:
    I do take the review with a pinch of salt but it would be enough for me to want to test it before buying if I'm honest.

I want to but can't. Even rang on one to ask if they have a demo bike. The guy seemed shocked that i'd even dared to ask, but went on to say I could take one of the demo bikes round the car park, but no where else.
  • Northwind
    passout wrote:
    You say that Northwind, but there must be 'something' to it

Seriously, when they make comments like "You can't ride fast down a rocky descent without stopping due to arm pump"- which every single owner will tell you is total nonsense- then there's nothing to it. Especially if they then give it 2 and a half stars for a bike they're said can't be ridden fast down a rocky trail!

I think it's just about possible that the fork was broken but experienced journalists/riders should be able to identify that rather than blaming the frame for something it doesn't do. Their previous review didn't find this huge problem, how does that work?

Different opinions are one thing but nonsense statements of "fact" are very different.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • passout
    Yeah granted, it was a pants review.

I assumed they did demo days - I guess not. Might be worth tracking down someone on the forum, who lives near you, who might let you have a go on theirs?? Bit of a long shot, but worth a go?